Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the Atlanta forum, so I thought it might be fun to try. It's a little questionnaire that you fill out and it tells you which city is right for you.

Which American Cities Best Fit You?

Lots of folks on the ATL forum were showing Austin in their results, so I tried the quiz. Here were my results. Guess what? I should be living in Honolulu
Quote:
65% Honolulu

65% Las Vegas

65% Portland

60% Denver

60% Seattle
The weird things is I put skiing down as important, and beaches not so much. The others make a little more sense based on my answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Oddly enough, Atlanta came to the top of my list. Honestly I can't see myself living in any of the other cities. Chicago, Philly and NYC are way too cold for one! I also picked South as my preferred region. Not so sure about this quiz!

60% Atlanta

60% Chicago

60% Philadelphia

55% Austin

55% New York City

Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Isn't what city is a perfect fit for you an exercise of narcissism now that the national economy as a whole is struggling greatly? Put another way, on one hand, what good is a "perfect fit" metro if you can't find a job in your field, and on the other, what diff does it make in these hard times WHAT fit a metro is if you CAN find a job in your field?

I think, if anything, the enonomic downturn will essentially shut down what, after all, is frill thinking per what cities are "perfect fits" and what not. It very much reminds me of the mindset a very young adult has per serious relationships at about 18-21. At that age/time, one still has the chance to idealize and wax philosophic about "perfect mates". When life forces one to play one's hand, and get INTO a long-term relationship, idealism leaves, and pragmatism sets in, pretty much for life, though a window is always open a crack for a little "perfect fit" idealism to shine through...

Again, that same analogy can be compared to a city search by someone either just starting out, or with a plethora of real-life options. When those options are markedly narrowed, per the economic downturn, one gets into the same situation as an older suitor who no longer has youth on his/her side to make "perfect lists" per mates, and hold out for the perfect guy/gal....just not a hell of a lot of options out there for employment per moves....anymore than that narrowing of options for an older single person looking for a relationship strapped with 3 kids, bills, and baggage. Pragmatism rules, and the fetish of idealism, always at best a fantasia anyway, goes out the window.

Again, the search for a "perfect city" is a frill now....most large metros, as well as mid-sized ones, not to mention entire states, are reeling economically now. All old ways of doing things, including city searches for jobs, have changed. The frill/fetish of "perfect fit" cities, top 10 cities for this and that, and so on, have left the building. Now it is simply a struggle to find a position in one's field of choice anywhere, with the added need to be flexible about that field of choice itself, let alone the city that one would like to ideally practice it in..

It's a new world out there, and the concept of a "perfect fit" city has left the building, along with the national economy..

Old 09-07-2010, 06:09 AM

47 posts, read 109,747 times
Ha! Decided to move just outside Austin, and guess what?

65% Austin
65% Denver
60% Vegas
55% Honolulu

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM

38 posts, read 53,506 times
I'm interviewing Friday in Cedar Park, this is what I got:

80% Austin
65% Atlanta
65% Denver
65% Las Vegas
65% Miami

Guess it's settled then.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend View Post
I'm interviewing Friday in Cedar Park, this is what I got:

80% Austin
65% Atlanta
65% Denver
65% Las Vegas
65% Miami

Guess it's settled then.
Glad you let the whole world know! I'm sure they all feel much better now!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,824 times
I got DC #1 (55%) and Austin #2 (50%)

I currently live in the DC burbs and we are moving to Austin hopefully by next year.

Honestly, I will miss certain parts of DC, but we are moving for a better cost of living (actually being able to afford a house with a yard as opposed to our rinky dink TH way out in the burbs) and to be closer to family, and none of this was mentioned in the survey.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM

355 posts, read 923,295 times
I don't "fit" Austin, that's for sure. I love the beach! My results:

60% Honolulu

60% Miami

55% Austin

55% San Diego

50% Atlanta

Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Here are my results. I think the questions that put Atlanta at the top was me wanting (theater district, museums, diversity, and public transportation):

60% Atlanta
60% Washington, DC
55% Austin
50% Las Vegas
45% Chicago

Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,145 times
I won't choose to live in Honolulu. If you check eBay, you will find many sellers only ship to the lower 48 states or charge a higher rate to ship to HI or AK, and it is way too "trapped" than in austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: