Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
posted here 9/17 10:28 AM.
To make it easier, you can refer to this as "Post #45" - it's on the top right of the post next to what I guess is a "judgement icon" that looks like a scale...

Quote:
jobert, you used zip code (78749) to indicate that SW Austin, and Circle C in particular, has what you'd consider a somewhat high crime rate.
The only stat I referred to from 78749 was the total number of crimes (82 assaults) because you said "SW Austin is safe" and 78749 is SW Austin. Every crime stat cited after that comment when comparing south of Slaughter (8 assaults, 1 robbery, 1 rape, etc.) was from FAR SW Austin - meaning south of Slaughter and west of Mopac (78739).

Quote:
While 78749 is a part of what may or may not be considered SW Austin, it doesn't even include the very, very large Circle C neighborhood (78739), which is what many first think about when SW Austin is mentioned, and to which you keep referring to.
78739 was the area I was pulling those stats from.

By the way, 78739 is FAR SW Austin, let's call it what it is, and stop trying to make it sound like it's close to downtown when it isn't.

Quote:
That would make your whole point argument somewhat muddied and moot, I think... (note: there's a guy in England who understands your pain).
Is that suppose to be some sort of inside joke? I don't really watch tv, is that a tv reference?

Quote:
Even more interesting, you are making a comparison between 78749 and 78747 (Onion Creek area), which I believe you yourself have compared favorably to Circle C. I have no idea about Onion Creek, but if you're going to compare it to Circle C, shouldn't you actually USE the data from the Circle C area?).
Let me repeat a response to your repeat of an invalid point:

In post #46, I was comparing crime that happened south of Slaughter in Onion Creek versus crime that happened south of Slaughter in Circle C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
It
Eight assaults in Circle C, compared to three east of 35.
One agg. assault in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One indecent exposure in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One rape in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One auto theft in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.
One robbery in Circle C, compared to none east of 35.

let me put this as simply as I can:

happened south of Slaughter/West of Mopac
happened south of Slaughter/East of 35

Thanks for a thoughtful response to my previous posts.

Last edited by jobert; 09-17-2010 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM

302 posts, read 690,375 times
Quote:
Every crime stat cited after that comment when comparing south of Slaughter (8 assaults, 1 robbery, 1 rape, etc.) was from FAR SW Austin - meaning south of Slaughter and west of Mopac (78739)
Since this is a totally wasted exercise, this is my last post here.

I'll repeat, your data is all bogus. You specifically stated Circle C in your posts.

Quote:
Yea. FAR SW Austin. 78739. Whatever.

Regardless, for the heck of it, I did a search on 78739 in "krimelabb.com" (your "source" for this info) using search By Offense (Year).

krimelabb.com (http://www.krimelabb.com/_live/view/_viewbyoffense2.php - broken link)

Selection criteria:

Year: 2010
Zip Code: 78739
Offense: Rape

Result? "No results found."

I'm sorry, but I won't waste more time on this. I know I'm borderline here in stating this (considering the rules), but I'm stating it flat out that your argument and data are a total pack of lies. No other way to put it.

How would you like it if someone went around saying people have been raped in the neighborhood you live in? For shame.

Sad. Just sad.

To the rest of the folks in this board, have a good weekend.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Regardless, for the heck of it, I did a search on 78739 in "krimelabb.com" (your "source" for this info) using search By Offense (Year).

Year: 2010
Zip Code: 78739
Offense: Rape

Result? "No results found."
Quote:
These are all small samples of the total violent crimes committed in 2010. No murder, homicide, rape, etc to speak of in either area.
I also said neither Circle C or Onion Creek area had a rape in 2010, and this is the only error you've been able to point out, so now your trying to imply that entire thread should be disregarded.

Nice "GOTCHA" Jeriv... now you're trying to throw out the entire thread on a typo.

Jeriv, how did the rest of the stats check out? aggravated assaults, robbery, auto theft, indecent exposure, assault? I know you looked through them all but your not arguing about them..

Quote:
your argument and data are a total pack of lies.

Because you found a single error... I think everyone here can use the website and draw their own conclusion. They don't need an analysis of it either.

Last edited by jobert; 09-17-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
it's a subversive campaign to try to raise property values in the area where you live and lower them here.
I don't need to. It's been happening for the last 3 years without my help.

What I'm doing is airing the dirty laundry of SW Austin because it's long overdue. I'm tired of the condescension and snide attitude I've received since moving here and the tactic of trying to bully people into buying overpriced housing by making them believe every other area south of the river besides SW Austin is a crime ridden ghetto filled with illegals, and otherwise standing in the way of progress for the rest of the area by trying to maintain their status quo.

The sad part is that I use to recommend SW Austin to people, because I thought the southern Austin area was one big happy family. I realize now that it's a "zero sum game" to SW Austin because they have a reputation to protect at other peoples costs.

I'm calling it a weekend.

Last edited by jobert; 09-17-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Because you found a single error...
ONE error? Are you kidding me?

I only pointed out one because, as I specifically stated, it's a futile exercise to try to debunk all the misdirections, bad data, invalid statistics, and otherwise junk you usually post.

Want another one?

Quote:
Aggravated assault in 78747 (Onion Creek / EAST of 35): 8.

APDNUM...... OFFENSE DT.. ADDRESS................. ZIP..
2010-921294. 4/2/2010.... 8213 GEORGIE TRACE AVE.. 78747
2010-1151376 4/25/2010... 6517 MARBLE CREEK LOOP.. 78747
2010-1152217 4/25/2010... 8212 FLAXEN DR.......... 78747
2010-1210995 5/1/2010.... 6529 MARBLE CREEK LOOP.. 78747
2010-1252264 5/5/2010.... 10505 S IH 35 SVRD NB... 78747
2010-1901768 7/9/2010.... 8216 ALUM ROCK DR....... 78747
2010-1961275 7/15/2010... 8436 TWIGGY LN.......... 78747
2010-2571028 9/14/2010... 8620 DEJA AVE........... 78747

Source? krimelabb.com (http://www.krimelabb.com/_live/view/_viewbyoffense2.php - broken link) (which, again, is your source for the data).

Quote:
Since this is a totally wasted exercise, this is my last post here.

I'll repeat, your data is all bogus. You specifically stated Circle C in your posts.
Guess I lied about the first part, it wasn't my last post. But since you were casting aspersions regarding my posts, I thought I should clear the air.

No, it was not based just on ONE error, I just don't have the time nor the proclivity to correct the the large quantity of bad data, blatant misdirection, and invalid conclusions you use to keep hammering/slandering the Circle C area.

Oh, and I did walk yesterday night in the neighborhood. Nice walk, actually. No violent crimes happening, I'm happy to report, unless parents and kids leaving the elementary after watching Marmaduke (Clayton PTA's Free Back-To-School Movie Night) counts as miscreants congregating near schools.

Have a good one, y'all!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Let's just stop this, ok?

It really isn't about pitting neighborhood vs. neighborhood. We can go about pulling stats and stuff all day. The underlying message here is that those of us who live east of 35 are damn tired of these topics (sorry, OP). "East of 35" is not one big drug filled, poor, ghetto! Your chances of being robbed and raped don't dramatically increase because you cross an interstate. This goes back to the proverbial "tracks" comparisons...one side is perceived as safer/better, and the other side is perceived negatively. Yea, I acknowledge that those comparisons will never go away. Doesn't mean that I don't tire of it after a while. An interstate is not some strict line of demarcation that separates the classes. There are neighborhoods on both sides of 35 that are bad and good. You just have to do your due diligence, which is what the OP is trying to do. The best form of doing your due diligence is asking real life people vs. consulting murder/rape/robbery stats.

Back in NY, I lived in the big bad Bronx. So yea, I know first hand negative stereotypes and so-called supporting stats backing up those stereotypes. Just because the South Bronx had abandoned/burned out buildings and rampant drugs back in the day didn't mean that my neighborhood, which was in another area of the county, was bad, yet of course everyone bears the burden. That's just the way it is. At the same time, I do my part to give people my experience and they can take it for what it's worth. I did not get raped/robbed or murdered while I lived in the Bronx. Likewise, in my home "East of 35", we have experienced little to no crime. There are many years when there are no murders and few rapes...in fact, all of the years I've lived out here there have been no murders, with the lone exception this year of some dude shooting a teen who felt was threatening him. In five plus years, our zip code had no murders and a handful of rapes, for a population of over 50,000 and counting. Parents and children are freely out and about. Theft is probaby the biggest issue, especially with apt. dwellers, but theft is an issue everywhere. People want what isn't theirs. Here, most property thefts happen in the more affluent subdivisions..

There is no such thing as utopia. Moving to West 35 doesn't mean that you should take leave of your senses any more than if you lived on the east side. People need to alert, vigilant, and overall in touch with reality that crime is everywhere and to take appropriate steps. People need to also realize that if your neighborhood has rentals, and nearly all of the subdivisions have them, they are transient in nature and you could easily get an "undesirable". No matter how hard you try. Your new neighbor at any given time can be someone who will set up a meth lab. Families can take in other family members who used to serve time. Or have antisocial problems. Your own teenage kid can be a source of crime. It's that easy.

So to wrap this story of a post up, this east vs. west thing has got to stop.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I totally agree. I'm sorry I participated in it, but I hate it when someone in this forum starts bashing my neighborhood. Specially when they bash my neighborhood using lies and misdirection.

This forum is used by many people to get an idea of what an area is like. If someone put a thread implying things like "SW Austin is turning into a crime zone" and no one tries to correct it, that's what many people's first impression would be and what will likely stay with them. Regardless of whether it is true.

I don't mind someone using real data to make a point, but just posting random, mixed up data, or flat out untrue things to try to back up a preconceived (bad) conclusion is just wrong. Whether done maliciously or not.

jobert has a gift in the provocateur area. And quite a tenacity when it comes to bashing SW Austin.

You'll notice I never said anything bad in regards to East Austin. If in any way this was perceived through one of my posts, I apologize. I in no way meant to say anything bad about any area.

I quite frankly love all of Austin. East, West, North, South, and everything in between.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

It really isn't about pitting neighborhood vs. neighborhood. We can go about pulling stats and stuff all day. The underlying message here is that those of us who live east of 35 are damn tired of these topics (sorry, OP). "East of 35" is not one big drug filled, poor, ghetto! Your chances of being robbed and raped don't dramatically increase because you cross an interstate. This goes back to the proverbial "tracks" comparisons...one side is perceived as safer/better, and the other side is perceived negatively. Yea, I acknowledge that those comparisons will never go away. Doesn't mean that I don't tire of it after a while. An interstate is not some strict line of demarcation that separates the classes. There are neighborhoods on both sides of 35 that are bad and good. You just have to do your due diligence, which is what the OP is trying to do. The best form of doing your due diligence is asking real life people vs. consulting murder/rape/robbery stats.

Back in NY, I lived in the big bad Bronx. So yea, I know first hand negative stereotypes and so-called supporting stats backing up those stereotypes. Just because the South Bronx had abandoned/burned out buildings and rampant drugs back in the day didn't mean that my neighborhood, which was in another area of the county, was bad, yet of course everyone bears the burden. That's just the way it is. At the same time, I do my part to give people my experience and they can take it for what it's worth. I did not get raped/robbed or murdered while I lived in the Bronx. Likewise, in my home "East of 35", we have experienced little to no crime. There are many years when there are no murders and few rapes...in fact, all of the years I've lived out here there have been no murders, with the lone exception this year of some dude shooting a teen who felt was threatening him. In five plus years, our zip code had no murders and a handful of rapes, for a population of over 50,000 and counting. Parents and children are freely out and about. Theft is probaby the biggest issue, especially with apt. dwellers, but theft is an issue everywhere. People want what isn't theirs. Here, most property thefts happen in the more affluent subdivisions..

There is no such thing as utopia. Moving to West 35 doesn't mean that you should take leave of your senses any more than if you lived on the east side. People need to alert, vigilant, and overall in touch with reality that crime is everywhere and to take appropriate steps. People need to also realize that if your neighborhood has rentals, and nearly all of the subdivisions have them, they are transient in nature and you could easily get an "undesirable". No matter how hard you try. Your new neighbor at any given time can be someone who will set up a meth lab. Families can take in other family members who used to serve time. Or have antisocial problems. Your own teenage kid can be a source of crime. It's that easy.

So to wrap this story of a post up, this east vs. west thing has got to stop.
riaelise, I would like to point out that this thread is about Austin, no one has ever suggested that any of this East vs. West discussion applies to Round Rock, Georgetown or Pflugerville, or any other community North of Austin. Nevertheless, it is true that crime is much worse in some neighborhoods, and that is true of many places in East Austin, not all, but many. I lived in both North and South parts of East Austin for 4 year so I know from personal experience what I'm talking about. It was not safe to go walking outside at night in some of those areas.

I also agree with JERiv that most of this discussion has been prompted by a specific individuals repeated attacks and false statements about SW Austin. That individual likes to claim that he is the victim here when in fact he has a long history of being the instigator and agitator.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM

134 posts, read 491,128 times
UGH!!! Give it a rest people! The whole east vs. west, my neighborhood is better than yours is ridiculous! GROW UP!! Live where you like and enjoy.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Understood. Like I said, I just grow weary of the "east vs. west" thing..people have used similar arguments when it comes to East vs. West Round Rock, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin