Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times

Advertisements

Did a quick poll on my facebook. Every single female except one (she is from the northeast) ALL said they have grown up w/ that fashion "rule" and still adhere to it. Their ages range from 20-52+. Some live and/or grew up in the Midwest, others in all areas of Texas and some in the Dallas area as well as friends in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
If You Must Know: Why Shouldn't We Wear White After Labor Day? - TIME

Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
momof2dfw, I could pull the same kind of poll with my friends (I figured out that you were born just about the time I was living in Highland Park) and come up with the opposite result. I suspect that we simply run in different circles, even within Park Cities.

As for myself, now (and then, for that matter), I have no problem with someone having fashion rules for themselves. The moment they decide that anyone else must abide by those rules, though, they've stepped over a line, in my viewpoint. And they make me giggle, too.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think THL is right on this. I am 58, and grew up in Wisconsin. I remember my mom saying that you shouldn't wear white after Labor Day, but I don't remember any other mention of it. (It may have been an outdated "rule" even when she told me about it.) And I never heard of the rule again when we moved to Texas (I was 16). I think the idea is completely antiquated. My advice it to forget it. Personally, I have never paid any attention to it, and haven't heard anyone mention it in years.
I use to hear this when I was a kid, but that was back in the 60's and 70's. I think those ideas went out the window decades ago.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times

YouTube - Serial Mom : You Can't Wear White shoes after labor day

Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Did a quick poll on my facebook. Every single female except one (she is from the northeast) ALL said they have grown up w/ that fashion "rule" and still adhere to it. Their ages range from 20-52+. Some live and/or grew up in the Midwest, others in all areas of Texas and some in the Dallas area as well as friends in Florida.
Well, I grew up in Massachusetts and now live in Pennsylvania and no white after Labor Day was always a rule in my Mom's house. Btw, I'm 41 (as of today!). I have absolutely no problem with others if they choose to pass on this "rule" but it always makes me feel a bit off to walk around in a white shirt after Labor Day. Maybe I'll get over it when we move to Austin?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
Well, I grew up in Massachusetts and now live in Pennsylvania and no white after Labor Day was always a rule in my Mom's house. Btw, I'm 41 (as of today!). I have absolutely no problem with others if they choose to pass on this "rule" but it always makes me feel a bit off to walk around in a white shirt after Labor Day. Maybe I'll get over it when we move to Austin?
Or not. As said, we don't have a problem if you obey any rules you have for yourself, just don't expect us to abide by them! Do what makes you comfortable!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
I would definitely not worry about these things in Austin. As I said before, Austin has got to be the dress-down capital of the country. Whenever I've gone downtown on a weekend night, it's really easy to spot the out-of-towners because they're usually the ones dressed up really fancy.

I didn't even know about the no white after Labor Day "rule" until I opened this thread. It sounds like a remnant of hoity-toity upper class WASPy society.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, I don't really adhere to the rule, but I must admit that I do put away any white (although I have only 2 pairs of capris, I think) when the weather turns cooler. It doesn't seem right to wear white pants when it is cold or raining. For me, it isn't a Labor Day thing, its a weather thing. I remember that an exception was made for "winter white", which is really cream or light beige. I think that's why it was called "winter white"; because it was acceptable in winter. As a teenager, I remember having cream wool slacks that were fine in the winter (this was Wisconsin, so we wore wool pants.) So even though I haven't thought about the rule in years, I'm sure it has been tucked away in my subconscious, influencing my "fashion" decisions.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I have heard this rule (white shoe), but not know anyone that actually thinks about it. I have heard and seen people comment on felt vs. straw cowboy hats, but not sure on the exact 'season' for each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin