Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM

355 posts, read 923,062 times

Advertisements

One thing I have always noticed about Austin (and Texas actually), is that you CANNOT be the least bit critical of it--or you will be pounced on by people who seem to take your observations personally and get testy.

Any grumble (or slightly less than glowing observation) about the city seems to me met with someone asking you defensively why you're still here or saying that you have mental issues, and you would have them no matter where you lived.

Must everyone who lives here feel exactly the same about it? How interesting is that?!

I've always wondered if this esteemed view of Austin is actually an inferiority complex in disguise? Is this just Austin, or are other cities like this?

Curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
One thing I have always noticed about Austin (and Texas actually), is that you CANNOT be the least bit critical of it--or you will be pounced on by people who seem to take your observations personally and get testy.

Any grumble (or slightly less than glowing observation) about the city seems to me met with someone asking you defensively why you're still here or saying that you have mental issues, and you would have them no matter where you lived.

Must everyone who lives here feel exactly the same about it? How interesting is that?!

I've always wondered if this esteemed view of Austin is actually an inferiority complex in disguise? Is this just Austin, or are other cities like this?

Curious...
I like austin, but it is just a place to live. I would much rather live in the bay area and am working towards that. I like austin more than the other places Ive lived by a lot and even if I stayed here forever I would be ok. A home is more about the people you know than the stuff to do.

I havent found that I cant complain to people about austin except on this messageboard

Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,222 times
Quote:

Curious...
Are you talking about people that simply live in Texas/Austin, or people that frequent these boards? There's a big difference.

If it's the former, I don't know what you're talking about. I have casual conversations with friends and acquaintances involving some complaint about something, and the response is often "well this is Texas."

If it's the latter, then you need to get off the internet and socialize with people in person. As much as I enjoy the City-Data forums, they don't exactly reflect a good representation of reality. Also, keep in mind that these boards serve a business function for many in the real estate industry, so there is an incentive to emphasize the positives of living in Texas/Austin.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Also, keep in mind that these boards serve a business function for many in the real estate industry, so there is an incentive to emphasize the positives of living in Texas/Austin.
A wiser sentence has never been typed on here..you just answered any question about this, or per what CD is all about, with one sentence...answers essentially ALL questions on here....

Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

355 posts, read 923,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
A wiser sentence has never been typed on here..you just answered any question about this, or per what CD is all about, with one sentence...answers essentially ALL questions on here....

I honestly never thought of that...just seems odd that the same people who complain about the overpopulation/influx of *others* are the same who won't allow anyone to say that they don't like it, for any reason.

If people reading here come and are less than thrilled--who can blame them? Most of what they read is about how Austin is on "top ten" lists.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:

Curious...
I somewhat disagree with your assessment. When people complain about Austin on this board, you will OCCASIONALLY have some poster take it personally, or question your personality/mental health/personality issues but mostly I see people write things like, "it's not for everyone" or something to that effect. Now on the Seattle board, if you mention the gray is too much or the people are somewhat standoffish, a good fifty percent of the posters get down right NASTY. By comparison, this board seems really tame.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
I honestly never thought of that...just seems odd that the same people who complain about the overpopulation/influx of *others* are the same who won't allow anyone to say that they don't like it, for any reason.

If people reading here come and are less than thrilled--who can blame them? Most of what they read is about how Austin is on "top ten" lists.
People are intellectually inconsistent -who would of thunk it?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Austin has both pros and cons. Your satisfaction with it will vary depending on your reason for living here in the first place. I probably would have said that Austin was the be-all, end-all 20 years ago, because it was the type of city I wanted to spend the rest of my life in. Now it's no longer that type of city. It still has its good points to my mind, IMHO, but they're becoming fewer and fewer, and it's far less unique than it used to be. If Berkeley (or even Venice Beach) weren't in CA (of the horrendous economy), I'd choose to move to one of those places, as they remind me more of the Austin I knew as a child.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Austin has both pros and cons. Your satisfaction with it will vary depending on your reason for living here in the first place. I probably would have said that Austin was the be-all, end-all 20 years ago, because it was the type of city I wanted to spend the rest of my life in. Now it's no longer that type of city. It still has its good points to my mind, IMHO, but they're becoming fewer and fewer, and it's far less unique than it used to be. If Berkeley (or even Venice Beach) weren't in CA (of the horrendous economy), I'd choose to move to one of those places, as they remind me more of the Austin I knew as a child.
I just think at a certain point Austin wanted to be LA..funny, that you mention LA is actually more like the old Austin in VB....LA still has more characters per capita than even Chicago or NYC....the Bay Area near SF would be a close second....

I lived in Alaska, and that beats all of the above, but its off the gridwork, so doesn't count! You want REAL weird? not play weird, arty weird, or keep Austin weird, I mean REAL LIFE weird? Go to Alaska for a year!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
LL22 - it's called Texas Pride!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: