Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

I have a Question on the Septic System. I noticed one of my toliets was bubbeling. First thing I di was ran a snake and found no clog. I assumed the tank needed pumping. 7 years old and never pumpoerd as far as I know. I've lived here 3 years and the tank is does not have any type of pump, it just goes to the leach field.

less than two weeks later, I notice the toliet bubbling again, this is the toliet that is closest to the septic tank...Only two people lived here before me and just my wife and I now. Any suggestions or ideas????I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
check vent pipe to see if you have debris or a critter that built a nest in it or is otherwise occupying it

Old 03-02-2014, 07:20 PM

178 posts, read 458,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Being on septic really does change your water use habits for the better. You no longer leave the water running so you can "just get that xxxx out of the fridge to wash" type of habit. And you don't do loads of laundry every day.
I agree with HT about not doing loads of laundry every day but would also add to not have a "laundry day" where you do load after load. That's tough on your drain field unless you are in sandy soil (unlikely for the Austin area). Better to have multiple laundry days on alternate days with a few loads spaced over the day. Check your drainfield area once in a while. If it is soft and spongy you might be overloading it, if it is muddy or water is seeping to the surface you definitely are.

Just thought of a couple of other things. Someone mentioned not using the garbage disposal. I would go a step farther and remove it entirely. Nothing good comes from putting additional solid material into the tank...even if it is ground up. Grease is a no-no also. Find some other way to dispose of it. The septic system does not digest it. It just forms a scum that floats on the water surface which gets thicker and thicker. If it ever does get into the leach field it can ruin it quickly by clogging the drain holes in the distribution piping and coating the drainage gravel surrounding the piping. Commercial installations usually have grease traps but they must be regularly serviced to work well. Few homes have them because they'll almost never get serviced.

Also just hang up on anyone calling you and wanting to sell you a regular supply of "industrial strength septic system treatment". The ones who have contacted us wanted to sell us stuff that costs hundreds of dollars a year and would automatically ship more product and charge our credit card "so we wouldn't forget to do our treatment".

Last edited by Vector28; 03-02-2014 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: added material

Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Thank You all for your suggestions!!!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
unless you live on a hill...then u can have a 500 gallon tank with a family of 8...run the water 24/7, gallons of bleach on every load of clothes, tampons down the toilet, whatever food u like in the disposal, rarely have your system cleaned and its all good...seriously...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: