Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,012,370 times

Advertisements

We could all use some Carne Asada(Mexican BBQ)..short of going to the barrio and shopping at the supermercado, anyplace that sells mexican BBQ in Austin? Anyone even HEAR of Carne Asada?

Austin NEEDS Carne Asada!

Here is a description of it that will make your mouth water!

On its most basic level, Carne Asada is a marinated and grilled steak, sliced thin and served on tortillas. This "grilled beef" can be used however you want it, in tacos, burritos or served up straight. The basic method is to marinate most any kind of beef in a lime based marinade. Grill it over a hot fire and then slice into thin strips across the grain. But there is a whole lot more to it than that.

Tradition: In Mexico and the American Southwest you will find that Carne Asada is the Mexican equivalent of Barbecue. I mean that in the party sense of the word. Traditionally a large fire pit is used to prepare this party but you can use whatever you have. Since everything is prepared over direct heat you don't need a lid or a fancy grill. The cut of beef you use doesn't need to be fancy either. Traditionally Carne Asada is made from Skirt Steak. You want a flavorful cut that doesn't need to be tender so if you can't get Skirt Steak go with a Flank Steak or even trimmed Brisket cut into 1 inch thick "steaks". If you are planning on a big party and want to have plenty for everyone plan on about 1 pound of meat per person. Of course, if you have lots of side dishes then cut back on the meat.

Again, Austin needs Carne Asada!
Attached Thumbnails
Mexican BBQ is called "Carne Asada"...Where can you get it in Austin?-carne_asada.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 PM

I just answered my own question..here are someplaces that have "Carne Asada"

Chile's Cafe - What a killer menu! Uh, YUM!
http://www.elchilecafe.com/menu_PDFs/chile_dinner.pdf

And, also, Wahoo's...a pure 100% pig-out, "Don't even bother counting the frickin' calories" place..you know, the kind of place everyone gets a default basket of Jumbo Fries with their meal, itself about 2000 calories! Wahoo's is def the place to seriously pig out...absolutely nothing healthy or good for you on the menu...and God bless their hearts for it!

Wahoo's Fish Taco

And look at this pig out menu for a laugh....great for 3 in the morning, I don't know what to do, Im not tired yet, and I'm loaded fri-sat nights...

Wahoo's Fish Taco

Okay, its the week-end everyone..time to get loaded and pig out...and dont forget to try Carne Asada!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM

743 posts, read 1,359,002 times
And now....

even Costco has a Carne Asada Bake! One of the latest additions on their menu.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 PM

322 posts, read 843,825 times
Carne Asada is served at most of the Mexican restaurants that I have been to. Some version of it anyway.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Yeah, I read the question and was wondering, "Where CAN'T you get carne asada in Austin?"

Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
And now....

even Costco has a Carne Asada Bake! One of the latest additions on their menu.
My God, what planet am I living on? Never 'hoid of the stuff, and you say they sell it at Costco's? Well, slap my behind and call me Sparky, Carne Asada has already "jumped the shark"....

I guess Carne Asada has become as popular as Fish Tacos now!

And to think I thought I was "discovering" something!

Well, I'm still one of the few anglos that watches Sabado Gigante on Sat nights! Don't tell me everyone has heard of Don Francisco now!

http://www.univision.com/content/cha...d=6&schid=6761

Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 PM

355 posts, read 919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yeah, I read the question and was wondering, "Where CAN'T you get carne asada in Austin?"

LOL, that's what I was thinking!

It reminds me of (when I first moved to Austin from NYC) and told this girl I LOVED her boots, where did she get them?!?!?!

And she looked at me like I was mad and said "they're just Justin Ropers".

Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
LOL, that's what I was thinking!

It reminds me of (when I first moved to Austin from NYC) and told this girl I LOVED her boots, where did she get them?!?!?!

And she looked at me like I was mad and said "they're just Justin Ropers".
Like I said, pull off my peg leg and call me "Stumpy"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: