Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times

Advertisements

I'll be surprised if this project survives the impending state budget cuts, but apparently it's still alive.

Quote:
San Antonio officials will continue to pursue a passenger rail line that one day could connect the Alamo City to Austin, a transit project that's already been in the works for more than a decade.

The city's endorsement Wednesday of the Lone Star Rail District initiative came on the heels of the Obama administration's announcement that it will support a $53 billion high-speed rail initiative over the next five years, the most money committed to rail in over a generation, emphasized Tullos Wells, vice chairman of the district board, an entity that includes cities, counties and transit authorities along the 120-mile corridor.
[LEFT]
Read more: S.A. still aboard effort to build Austin rail link - San Antonio Express-News
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM

522 posts, read 657,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'll be surprised if this project survives the impending state budget cuts, but apparently it's still alive.
Moderator cut: discussing moderator action

The project is not funded just with state money but also federal and local MPO funds. There is enough money available to finish off the environmental and preliminary engineering phases of the project. A detailed financial plan, including strategic financing and local funding options, is currently being prepared and is planned to include a substantial public/private partnership component. Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Last edited by Bo; 02-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Can't discuss moderator action in a forum post. I'll answer the question you asked in a rep message.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 AM

302 posts, read 690,291 times
Is there a "Support Train between Austin & San Antonio" group anywhere???

I personally think having a train (specially a fast one) going between the major cities in TX would be very, very, very nice. Would keep me from driving the highways for those trips, anyway!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM

522 posts, read 657,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERiv View Post
Is there a "Support Train between Austin & San Antonio" group anywhere???

I personally think having a train (specially a fast one) going between the major cities in TX would be very, very, very nice. Would keep me from driving the highways for those trips, anyway!
JERiv, I don't know of one, but people in general (in general, mind you) are very supportive of the idea, as are the towns and cities up and down the corridor, plus the transportation authorities and metropolitan planning organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin