U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
AGA AGA started this thread

729 posts, read 2,529,065 times

Advertisements

I am doing a project for a Child Development class on preschool expulsions.
Wondering if anyone here has had a personal experience with this, either as a parent or an educator. Good or Bad!
Don't need to know the name of the center, but if it was private vs. state funded or something, that may be helpful.
Just trying to get an idea of real life implications to add in with all my statistics etc.
If you feel comfortable sharing your experience I would appreciate it. You can direct message me if you would rather.

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 AM

356 posts, read 852,333 times
Please give your definition of a "preschool expulsion".

Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Please give your definition of a "preschool expulsion".
Well that is a tricky one, because there is not a REAL definition. It is not "standardized" , but in my mind, for this purpose, it is being asked/told to leave a facility. (I would think that financial issues would not qualify, though)

Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,933,650 times
My sister's daughter was expelled for walking out of the bathroom with #2 on her shoe. Apparently, they didn't think she was potty trained so they sent her home and readmitted her in January. Private, Catholic school.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

3,788 posts, read 6,283,206 times
Is this for preschools in the Austin area?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Is this for preschools in the Austin area?
It can be anywhere! It is a broad topic (current event type thing), so it does not really matter where...I just want to get a snapshot from people who have experienced it to add some flair and make it more real. The articles don't really give specific info, so I thought it would be helpful.

I WILL be asking AISD for their expulsion rates (under the public information act), and hope to call a few centers to get their numbers too, but I bet centers won't give them out.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
My sister's daughter was expelled for walking out of the bathroom with #2 on her shoe. Apparently, they didn't think she was potty trained so they sent her home and readmitted her in January. Private, Catholic school.
WOW! How old was she and how long to wait to be re-admitted?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 AM

7,233 posts, read 14,370,860 times
It is a tough topic because there is no standard definition, so we have an example of a private, Catholic program kicking a kid out because of potty training, while any NAEYC accredited facility cannot deny a child access to the program over potty training. Some schools have very rigid expectations about proper behavior, others do not, and still others make a point of working with kids from a variety of backgrounds and a variety of conditions and will work with children that other programs will not accept to begin with.

You've got private, non-profit groups, church groups, groups with a particular philosophy (who can kick kids out because of the clothes they wear (like disney characters) or because there is tv in the home), as well as public programs. Overly broad research topics tend to produce poor papers. Narrow your focus!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,430,565 times
A kid at my daughter's preschool was kicked out because he was a vicious biter...like 3-5 kids a day and drew blood. He was like a pit bull. I think he was part animal.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It is a tough topic because there is no standard definition, so we have an example of a private, Catholic program kicking a kid out because of potty training, while any NAEYC accredited facility cannot deny a child access to the program over potty training. Some schools have very rigid expectations about proper behavior, others do not, and still others make a point of working with kids from a variety of backgrounds and a variety of conditions and will work with children that other programs will not accept to begin with.

You've got private, non-profit groups, church groups, groups with a particular philosophy (who can kick kids out because of the clothes they wear (like disney characters) or because there is tv in the home), as well as public programs. Overly broad research topics tend to produce poor papers. Narrow your focus!
It is more of just a broad overview type of presentation. And I am mainly sticking to the points that you just made. Thank you for your comments...Sounds like you have a background in the field, so you know how sensitive this can be. There IS a broad range of " (un)acceptable behavior" and a host of ways to handle them. Just making classmates aware of the issue, not trying to pick it to death or solve it (at least not for this class).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin