Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Wow is right! Good to know, even though my interest in Dallas is minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,301 times
I don't find the post offensive at all but in my opinion, I don't think anything in Austin is comparable to anything in Dallas and vice versa. It is just different. All of it.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
I will admit there are areas that defy comparison, like Wimberley, Gruene or Dripping Springs. Wimberley and Gruene are more like Gatlinburg, TN or Eureka Springs AR. - rural yet dense, touristsy, prohibitively expensive, Texas versions of swiss villages. Dallas doesn't have an equivalent. Canton would be the closest comparison because of First Mondays, but that's about it.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'd say Richardson = Pflugerville,
Growing up in Richardson and living there for 25 years, I would completely disagree with this statement. Richardson has top rated schools and is a very highly sought-after place to live because of this. It has no bad stigmas attached to it and is a very matured place... whereas Pflugerville has average schools, is a newer area with lots of stigma attached where, being in real estate, people back off of looking at right and left.

It might be geographical as Richardson is basically the first city north of Dallas and Pflugerville could be considered the same with Austin, but as for feel, demographics, and prestige of a community/city, they are apples and grapefruit.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Default fdsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
How would you describe Plano? What would be the closest comparison in Austin if you had to make one?

Plano/Frisco and Round Rock offer middle -to-upper class suburbia, horrible commutes to downtown, good schools, some major corporate HQ's that relocated in the 90's, big-box retailers, big-box houses, both scoffed at by urbanites, tollroads, a minor league baseball team and an Ikea. It's the closest comparison I could come up with.
I guess if you look at bullet points then there are definitely similarities. However I guess it's a "sum is more than the parts" type of thing where the general vibe I get when I'm in Plano just doesn't match what I feel in RR. There is never a time when I'm in one place and I think "wow, this is just like the other place". Generally when I'm in Plano it truly feels like I'm in a "different place", sorry I can't describe it any better

As for comparisons, well I'm going to let you down again (which shouldn't be surprising given my last sentence above). I don't know that I would peg any particular Austin metro location to it. Like I said, to me anyway it just feels like I'm in a different area altogether. It's a lot of the little things (vs the larger similarities to mention), the streets are done differently, the style of the homes/yards/fences are different, then there is the sprawl. When I'm in RR I always seem to be aware that I'm just 10 minutes from being out in the hill country whereas when I'm in Plano I'm always aware that I'm smack in the middle of a huge metro area. Can't think of anywhere in Austin metro that has that same feel.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM

216 posts, read 444,419 times
Wow, very thoughtful post.

And I'm also commenting so that if in five or ten years I decide on a whim to leave Dallas for Austin, I'll be able to come back to this and know that I need to look around SW Austin/Oak Hill, Bouldin, Barton Hills, Rosedale, Allandale, and Travis Heights just based on my favorite Dallas neighborhoods.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM

216 posts, read 444,419 times
I would also switch Westlake to Preston Hollow. At least I was always under the impression that the richest and most powerful people in Austin lived there, and the Mark Cubans and George W. Bushes of Dallas definitely live in Preston Hollow.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
I would also switch Westlake to Preston Hollow. At least I was always under the impression that the richest and most powerful people in Austin lived there, and the Mark Cubans and George W. Bushes of Dallas definitely live in Preston Hollow.
I compared Westlake and he Park Cities because they are minutes from DT on the "good" side of town, and are their own cities surrounded by the larger metro with their own ISDs, police, etc. HPISD and EANES are routinely in the top 5 ISDs of Texas. Preston Hollow is further from downtown, and kinda came after HP, like Riverplace, Senna Hills, or Rob Roy came after Westlake. There is also a significant jewish presence in North Dallas/Preston Hollow which made me compare North Dallas to NW Austin.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Wow, very thoughtful post.

And I'm also commenting so that if in five or ten years I decide on a whim to leave Dallas for Austin, I'll be able to come back to this and know that I need to look around SW Austin/Oak Hill, Bouldin, Barton Hills, Rosedale, Allandale, and Travis Heights just based on my favorite Dallas neighborhoods.
Thanks for the input! What do you like about the following Dallas neighborhoods? Could you give a brief description?

Lake Highlands (SW Austin/Oak Hill)
Lakewood (Barton Hills)
M Streets (Bouldin)
Munger Place/Junius Heights = (Travis Heights)
Casa Linda (Allandale/Crestview)
Forest Hills (Rosedale)

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,458 times
Default moving to texas

Looking at uptown and turtle creek in Dallas. Where do you think turtle creek fits in or does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin