Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Yeah, that mortgate crisis is killing us here in California. Our neighbor just reduced the price of their home $10,000. We are probably going to have to lower ours too.
A $10K drop is only going to save a buyer around $60 a month on their mortgage payment. I would think informed buyers looking at houses that would cost them a $3K+ monthly payment still won't look at a house with that price reduction. If you really have to sell during a downturn, I would think it'd pay off to be a bit more aggressive with pricing your home and sell sooner than try and hold out for a top dollar price that isn't going to come cause you'll just end up chasing the market to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:55 AM

149 posts, read 498,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The mortgage industry is in full blown meltdown. This might affect our market somewhat (dampen, but not hurt it in my opinion), but job growth is doing very well. It's job growth that drives a real estate market more than any other factor.
Steve
Austin-steve, where can I read your Austin real-estate market forecast back in year 2001-2002 ?

PS. It could be just a coincidence but my observation is a lot of older people are cashing in on their houses at present

Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Austin-steve, where can I read your Austin real-estate market forecast back in year 2001-2002 ?
The implication being that, in your opinion, Realtors remain optimistic and wear rose colored glasses right up to and through market downturns, and therefore optimistic Realtor opinions are not to be trusted?

I didn't track the market back then the way we do today. Didn't write a blog back then, nor participate in forums in which this sort of information was shared.

Do you have a different opinion about what the Austin real estate and job markets will be doing in the coming years? I'm open to hearing other points of view. Mine happens to be positive at present, based on many different factors.

Steve

Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM

149 posts, read 498,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you have a different opinion about what the Austin real estate and job markets will be doing in the coming years? I'm open to hearing other points of view. Mine happens to be positive at present, based on many different factors.

Steve
Steve,

Just a fear of insanity of the past few years. 30+% price appreciation since year 2005 (conservative number IMHO) is way above of the normal appreciation rate.

You already mentioned of the credit tightening. You haven't mentioned of the increasing mortgage rates though which will affect the buying power.

Number of out-of-state or second-home investors also scares me.

Number of people who become real-estate agents, mortgage brokers, etc in the past 2 years - clear sign of the speculation.

What about the inventory - it is close to the record level based on my research.

I'm not that optimistic about the Austin job market as well, at least in the high-tech area. I saw quite a few resumes in the past month of those affected by layoffs at AMD, Dell, Freescale.

I might be wrong but that is my personal view. Year 2002 is not that far away example of what may happen and how unexpected it can be. Don't get me wrong, I like reading your posts and appreciate your opinion but I think your're somewhat biased on this subject

Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
I don't think most Austinites saw the last downturn coming in 2001-2003. We were hit very hard where I used to live in Northwest Austin, and I hope I don't have to go through that again.

One lesson I learned is that the job market and the housing market can change rapidly so it's best to take that into consideration whenever & wherever you purchase a house. Most people selling in my neck of the woods in 2002-2003 had their houses on the market over a year with multiple price drops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: