Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM

355 posts, read 923,062 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is getting remarried (second marriages for both), and doesn't want to go to a sterile courthouse downtown.

I saw a doughnut place (on the Travel Channel) where people can get married by the owners who are some kind of ministers (Universal Life?) and it looked sorta fun and cheap.

Vegas has their drive thru chapels...does Austin have anything like these options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,358 times
Maybe Zilker Botanical Gardens? My SIL was married (for the third time!!!) at a botanical garden in Ft. Worth a couple of years ago. It was gorgeous and I know that it was very inexpensive. They had indoor rooms for rent as well so that they could have a small reception. On the whole, it was one of the nicer weddings I've been to and it was probably the least expensive.
ZBG Events

Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 AM

170 posts, read 826,694 times
Almost anyone can marry you as long as they're ordained as a "minister" ... Universal Life Church is a very "open" church which welcomes basically everyone and believes that you can believe whatever you want as long as you strive to be "good." Easy enough, right? I'm also ordained as a minister with them, and the only reason I did it was that it gives me the authority to marry people... I though my sister might ask me to perform her wedding ceremony a few years ago.

The point of my little story is that it's relatively easy for anyone to become ordained and be able to marry you (just make sure they file the paperwork correctly with city hall!) and that means you could basically get married anywhere, doing whatever you want! You could get married at The Oasis overlooking Lake Travis, in a rowboat on Ladybird Lake, surrounded by bats on the Congress Ave bridge (ha, I wonder what kind of omen that would be!), anywhere really! And you could have a friend or family member perform the ceremony which can be as formal or informal as you want!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:11 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Before the Wyoming game, a couple got married at a tailgate... was on the news. I suspect if you worked it out with a tailgate sponsor, you might even get some free stuff out of it.

Maybe you could get married at an ACL taping or one of the many festivals around here... let's see, in the fall there is the Celtic Fest:
Austin Celtic Festival Home
and WurstFest:
Welcome to Wurstfest (New Braunfels)

Or maybe at a big organized run, if you are into fitness (check the Runtex calendar):
http://www.runtex.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: