Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times

Advertisements

Those all sound like good reasons to have the master bedroom downstairs. My parents are in their early sixties and would only purchase a one story house. They ended up with a 2500 square foot one story in Georgetown.

My wife didn't want the master bedroom downstairs because she didn't want to hear the noise of the kids bouncing around on the second floor coming through the ceiling. She always hated hearing people stomp on the floor above us in past apartments that we lived in.

We ended up getting a home with the master bedroom upstairs and the laundry room upstairs as well. So far it has worked out well, but I guess the stairs could be a problem in 35 years or so when we're older. I'm sure that a lot of younger families don't think that far ahead.

I agree with the others that a laundry room on a different floor than the bedrooms would be inconvenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 PM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
Default changeofpace

We built a ramber/ranch 11 years ago. We put our house on the market and had 10 people look at it the first 2 days and sold it the 2nd day. In our suburb of 64,000 people, there were only 4 rambler/ranch homes on the market and 49 2 story homes on the market. That was 30 days ago. Today all 4 rambler/ranch homes sold the first week, only 3 of the 2 story homes have sold. Realtors told me the boomers are beginning to sell their 2 story homes and there are no buyers for them and the problem will be magnified many times over in the next 20 years. Not haveing a bedroom the main level is a big problem for resale. Boomers are aging and their parents may need to move in with them, so all bedrooms upstairs is not feasible or desired.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
We built a ramber/ranch 11 years ago. We put our house on the market and had 10 people look at it the first 2 days and sold it the 2nd day. In our suburb of 64,000 people, there were only 4 rambler/ranch homes on the market and 49 2 story homes on the market. That was 30 days ago. Today all 4 rambler/ranch homes sold the first week, only 3 of the 2 story homes have sold. Realtors told me the boomers are beginning to sell their 2 story homes and there are no buyers for them and the problem will be magnified many times over in the next 20 years. Not haveing a bedroom the main level is a big problem for resale. Boomers are aging and their parents may need to move in with them, so all bedrooms upstairs is not feasible or desired.

This is a good point. I have a family moving here from NY and they said one of the imperative criteria is that both homes they buy (one for the family and one for aging mother) have downstairs masters for easy of access.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Personally, and I think this is a totally personal decision, I like my bedroom upstairs. I had a bedroom downstairs that always smelled like the kitchen, which was on the same level. My BR is upstairs now and I like the privacy. I'm reasonably confident that there is someone else out there who will agree and want to buy my house! Not every house buyer is an aging baby boomer, you know!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 PM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
Default changeofpace

Beginning in 2017, just 10 years from now, 80% of all home buyers AND sellers will be aging and retiring baby boomers, therefore, 80% of homes going on the mareket will be larger homes and the vast majority will not have a bedroom on the first floor (thats why it will be on the market). Any home with at least 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom on the first floor and all homes with all living on the first floor will be top dollar and sell quickly. The 2 story and all bedrooms on the 2nd floor homes will be worth far less and with so many of those homes on the market it will be a rude awakening for the sellers. Home values are supply and demand driven pricing. This is a future home market fact, not opinion. It is just something toseriously consider if you will be selling your home ANYTIME after 2017.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 PM

The 2 story and all bedrooms on the 2nd floor homes will be worth far less and with so many of those homes on the market it will be a rude awakening for the sellers.

Depends on the house, the location, the condition, the price and plain personal preference. I'm not about to compromise on the what I like and what's most comfortable for my family by thinking of what's going to happen in 2017.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
amen to that. I don't think we have to worry about it anyway, as we've lived in a two story house, and decided we like one stories better, and that's what we're in now.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
On a bit of a side issue, houses in the Edwards Aquifer area can only have so much impervious cover (by percent). If you want a large house, you may not be able to build it as a one-story on a regular lot. Also, if you want to add a pool, that counts as impervious cover and will further squeeze the allowable footprint.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 PM

On a bit of a side issue, houses in the Edwards Aquifer area can only have so much impervious cover (by percent). If you want a large house, you may not be able to build it as a one-story on a regular lot. Also, if you want to add a pool, that counts as impervious cover and will further squeeze the allowable footprint.

An even more sideline issue is that our City Council has ruled that houses in the central city are limited in size so as not to loom large over exisitng, smaller houses.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
A yay to that too. They don't do it in Houston, and aesthetically, it's just terrible to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin