Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times

Advertisements

I have noticed two interesting habits in my neighborhood, related to trash and recycling, compared to the city I moved here from.

If someone puts a stack of cardboard (usually neatly folded) between the recycle box and the trash, the recycle person does not pick it up, but leaves it for the trash person. (The recycle collection truck seems to always pick up first).

People put yard waste in the trash, as opposed to being provided with yard waste containers.

I wonder why?

Yard waste does bio degrade just fine, so I guess putting it in the trash is just fine. I guess the same is true for cardboard.
But I found the difference in practice interesting; especially the practice of the recycle person leaving the cardboard for the trash person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
That's odd, I always assumed when I put my cardboard out like that (neatly leaning in between the recycle bin and trash), that the recycling people took it... but I never checked.

How else we supposed to do it? Big flattened boxes don't fit in the bins.

I suppose the single-stream bins that the city uses will hold those. Our outside-of-Austin MUD is supposed to be getting those in the future...

Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
City of Austin - Recycling Corrugated Cardboard

Maybe they want them in 2 feet by 2 feet bundles.

"All cardboard can go in your 90-gallon blue Single Stream Recycling cart. If necessary, please flatten or cut down the cardboard to fit in the cart.

If the boxes cannot fit in your recycling cart, you can leave them on the curb. Flatten them into 2 feet by 2 feet bundles and tie them into manageable bundles with string or twine. This allows the recycling crew to pick them up and fit them in the truck. There is no limit to the amount you can set out for recycling."

Old 09-21-2010, 02:41 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
They don't take cardboard here in Hutto. And unless it's changed they don't take Styrofoam either. Are they taking Styrofoam in Austin?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
In my neighborhood Austin provides us with a single stream recycling cart that cardboard and all recycling goes into. Trash and household waste goes into a separate cart. Yard waste goes into separate containers or bundles provided by the property owner, which is picked up separate from everything else.

Yard Trimmings: City of Austin - Residential Yard Trimmings Collection
Large brush collection: City of Austin - Residential Large Brush Collection
Garbage Collection: City of Austin - Residential Garbage Collection
Single Stream Recycling: City of Austin - Single Stream Recycling

Quote:
Single Stream Recycling Guidelines:
  • Place your recycling at the curb by 6:30 a.m.
  • Keep your recycling about 5 feet away from your garbage cart.
  • Remove food wastes from recyclables before placing them in the recycling cart.
  • Place all recyclables in the recycling cart – no sorting required.
  • Flatten corrugated cardboard and place in your recycling cart. If you have more than what will fit inside the recycling cart, cut or fold it to 2 feet by 2 feet, and tie it into manageable bundles with string or twine and place next to your recycling cart.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Here is what they say about Syrofoam

Styrofoam

Solid Waste Services CANNOT recycle Styrofoam at the curb. You may be able to donate Styrofoam peanuts to Mail Boxes Etc., or a similar store for reuse. If you dispose of Styrofoam peanuts in your trash, please seal them in a plastic bag first. This will prevent them from spilling on to the street when your trash is emptied. Large pieces of Styrofoam can be broken down, bagged and placed in your garbage cart or it can be recycled at Cycled Plastics

Styrofoam is nasty...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times
I don't have a 90 gallon blue recycle cart, I have a small rectangular bin thing.
I always fill it (It is my garbage that is barely full, usually one tiny bag, unless I am also putting grass clippings in it).

I was basically just observing my neighbors to see what the practices were.

I hate Styrofoam, and recently having ordered stuff on eBay am starting to accumulate some (Amazon was using paper and those inflatable plastic bag like tings).

Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I also hate styrofoam, since I know it takes perhaps 1,000 years to break down, if at all. When we go out to eat, I take a tupperware container along, just in case we need a doggie bag. If I get anything mailed to me with styrofoam packing, I notify the company that I will no longer be ordering anything from them due to their irresponsible packing choices. And I am sorry to say I can't get limeade at Sonic because they won't allow any reusable containers to be used. (Jamba Juice will pour your smoothie from the blender into your reusable container.)

By the way, it is questionable whether yard waste will really break down in a land fill. Most landfills are constructed so that air is not admitted into the trash, so there is little aerobic decomposition. When we send something compostable to the land fill, we are converting it to a non-compostable item. I haven't checked to see if Austin's landfill is constructed that way, so I could be wrong. But this is true of most landfills.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 PM

99 posts, read 421,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post

By the way, it is questionable whether yard waste will really break down in a land fill. Most landfills are constructed so that air is not admitted into the trash, so there is little aerobic decomposition. When we send something compostable to the land fill, we are converting it to a non-compostable item. I haven't checked to see if Austin's landfill is constructed that way, so I could be wrong. But this is true of most landfills.
All yard trimmings are composted into dillo dirt according to the City of Austin website- City of Austin - Austin Water Utility: Dillo Dirt

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclAustin View Post
All yard trimmings are composted into dillo dirt according to the City of Austin website- City of Austin - Austin Water Utility: Dillo Dirt
NOT if they are thrown into the garbage. I think that was the point of the post. Some munis have regs against yard waste in garbage. I thought Austin was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin