Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 AM

43 posts, read 100,891 times

Advertisements

I opened a small education business in central Austin after not finding a job after over a year of actively looking. I have made some posts o the forum before asking various aspects of advice. I am now looking for suggestions on how t get business into the store. I have mailed information from mailing lists, called school, sent letters to rec. centers and churches. I have mailed things to teachers I know. I have talked to people in my shopping center. I know that many of you stated that you hated the flyers on the door. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 AM

187 posts, read 467,960 times
Try posting ads online like via facebook ... also think about advertising with schools that are nearby, say sponsor a football calendar or some such thing. Have you considered contacting area day care providers?

Just out of curiosity, what sort of educational items do you sell?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,589 times
If you're female, you could join this professional group:
Business+Balance Austin - Home

Or there are Moms Clubs all over the country and they frequently offer speaking opportunities. This is a great way to introduce a business geared toward either children or their moms. There are several Moms Clubs in the Austin area, so there is probably one close to your location.

As discussed in another thread, Groupon offers are pretty popular. Maybe this would be an avenue for you.

Could you tell us a bit about your business? From your post I couldn't tell if it was geared toward helping others start their own business or if you are offering some type of educational service.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfblair View Post
I opened a small education business in central Austin after not finding a job after over a year of actively looking. I have made some posts o the forum before asking various aspects of advice. I am now looking for suggestions on how t get business into the store. I have mailed information from mailing lists, called school, sent letters to rec. centers and churches. I have mailed things to teachers I know. I have talked to people in my shopping center. I know that many of you stated that you hated the flyers on the door. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
It probably depends on your type of business. The key to a retail business is location. With a bad location you will never make it.

The arboretum is in general a great location, but move upstairs and it is like death. Move to one of the restaurants that arent part of the main arboretum (where dan mccluskys was) and you are dead. In my opinion rent at the upstairs of the arboretum needs to be 1/4-1/2 the rent of the downstairs locations.

People are lazy and unless you have something extremely special, people wont go even 100 feet out of their way to shop at your store.

For marketing messages, people need to see a message 6 times before they remember it. Marketing is about consistency.

Here are some options
1) people arent interested in your product
2) Your message is bad
3) your location isnt convenient
4) People havent received enough marketing yet to think of you

can you give more info?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM

43 posts, read 100,891 times
Thanks for the advice thus far. I offer tutoring and assesments for grades 1st through 8th grade. I also offer renting of educational materials including games and books. I will offer learning camps where students can come play games and do hands on learning for a reasonable rate. This is geared for elementary and middle school. The locaation is not the greatest, but it is at the intersection of North Lamar and Airport. Ifeel that it is marketing, but that usually involves a big budget. I like the idea of supporting something at the school. The daycares are a little young for me at thisw time! Again thanks for the adviice!

Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Austin97 gives some good advice. Marketing is really a numbers game. If you've never had to market yourself (or your small business), this can be difficult to see. Take what you'd assume to be an appropriate amount of marketing (X amount of emails, calls, fliers, etcs) and multiply it by 4. Then take the length of time you expect to need to do it before getting a response, and multiply THAT by 4.

You do that, and you'll finally start to see the fruits of your labor. Forget about the response percentages marketing companies will tell you, those are best case scenarios where the business is already known.

Oh, and something to keep in mind : Marketing your own company is hard. Making your own sales calls is hard. You have too much mentally invested, it is easier to sell something that's not your own! So be extra vigilant not to get discouraged with lack of results. It is really hard. When your business becomes successful, you'll pay other people to do the sales work for you -- and then it gets easier.

Final tip: With your kind of business, you can increase the volume of touches to your potential customers without just hammering them about your service and rates. Provide nuggets of info or tips instead. They don't have to be anything special. You can have something like "The three biggest mistakes parents make when hiring a tutor" or "Three reasons why your kids grades are dropping".

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM

326 posts, read 823,943 times
make sure you are listed on Yelp and that you are able to get some good reviews.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfblair View Post
Thanks for the advice thus far. I offer tutoring and assesments for grades 1st through 8th grade. I also offer renting of educational materials including games and books. I will offer learning camps where students can come play games and do hands on learning for a reasonable rate. This is geared for elementary and middle school. The locaation is not the greatest, but it is at the intersection of North Lamar and Airport. Ifeel that it is marketing, but that usually involves a big budget. I like the idea of supporting something at the school. The daycares are a little young for me at thisw time! Again thanks for the adviice!
Maybe Im classist, but I feel like that location is not that attractive to suburbanites who would be your major customers. The density of kids in that area is a little low.

What is the actual result that parents should be looking for? who do you compete against?

Look at where your competitors are marketing and understand why and make sure you understand how your unique value prop compares to theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: