Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
Because they're not thinking rationally.

They're not thinking, "Gosh, I'm not well. I should go get some support."

Perhaps they're thinking, "I'm so depressed. I'm such a loner....my life is a mess. I need attention....desperately! So I'm going to commit this heinous act in front of a lot of people to get that attention."

So in an ironic twist of fate, they got the attention they were needing, but lost everything in the process.
good point..its the mental problems that are the issue, not the guns...lots of really mentally screwed up folks out there...in an emotional sense, not IQ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:50 AM

187 posts, read 468,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Video

AUSTIN LIVE STREAM 1 BY EMERGENCYSTREAM (http://www.emergencystream.com/video_streams/TX/Austin1.html - broken link)

Audio

Austin Police and Travis County Public Safety Live Scanner Audio Feed
What an awesome resource! Thanks for sharing these!!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:50 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Who manufactures the AK? And where?

also: hey CARDIFF GIANT! Hope you made it home ok!!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned
They just reported that the shooter was a UT student

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

All universities in Texas are gun free zones, that apparently didn't stop this particular gunman.

The University has its own police force, yet it was still about 30 minutes from the time that the first shots were fired until the gunman was no longer a threat, and would have been longer if he hadn't shot himself. That is thirty minutes of free reign against an unarmed population (because unlike the gunman, the law abiding people don't take guns into gun free zones)

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away, even if there is a special police station like right there where you need it!

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Sorry, but how would someone with a gun prevent someone else from committing suicide?
We don't know what the gunmans intentions were. It could have been to kill everyone in there but he freaked out and killed himself instead. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2010 at 07:32 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
gang stalking done by sociopaths ..... the goal is to cause a suicide or homicide. How is that done? Well, two or three bullies pick on someone until he or she commits suicide or homicide. All the public sees is the person committing the crime. They don't see what lead up to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
*sigh* What's with this upturn in campus shootings in the last 4 years? Even 10 years ago when I was going to college, I don't remember there being so much violence going on.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-28-2010 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM

When I was there in Austin, Texas the quality of the professionalism was very poor. They harass you if you do not agree with them. Moderator cut: off topic But, they (psychologists, professors, etc.) do harass you if you are different in some way. Those were my personal experiences. Universities are no longer safe places IMHO. Online classes are the way to go. It's safer and you won't be harassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor_Mom View Post
I agree ... why, given how much help is available in Austin for mental health issues, would someone cause a panic on campus by killing themselves in the library with an AK??

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2010 at 07:31 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
When I was there in Austin, Texas the quality of the professionalism was very poor. They harass you if you do not agree with them. It doesn't mean people should get a gun and cause violence. But, they (psychologists, professors, etc.) do harass you if you are different in some way. Those were my personal experiences. Universities are no longer safe places IMHO. Online classes are the way to go. It's safer and you won't be harassed.
There are tons of MH resources available off campus that this guy could have gone to.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2010 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: off topic, see my post below

Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM

He obviously didn't have $60+ to pay for quality therapy sessions. We know the therapists who charge on a sliding scale aren't usually quality therapists.
And, like I said the people in Austin are very homogeneous. They harass you if you are different in whatever way instead of helping and soothing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor_Mom View Post
There are tons of MH resources available off campus that this guy could have gone to.

As far as CCW goes, I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment & believe that an armed society becomes a more polite society. You don't insult the guy next to you for no reason because you don't if he's packing heat or not. I personally don't have a CCW or even own a gun, but I support your right to own one if you so choose.

(Don't own one cuz I SUCK at shooting! Daggum myopia! Don't want to take the chance of NOT hitting my target!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin