Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,642,852 times

Advertisements

Anyone checked this place out?

Abercorn Int'l School Austin | Pre School | Private Elementary Primary School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,039,518 times
yes, someone here, hsc is the handle maybe? posted in every possible thread about it! I'm sure that they will chime in.

I don't know anything about it at all except to note that brand-new schools can be risky. The staff, board, administrators don't have a local track record yet.

(Of course, everything is relative! St. Stephens is 60 years old this year while a dear friend who lives in London has her daughter in a school that was founded in 1624!)

Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,725,933 times
I have met with the owners. They are a legit school in Britain and New York. They thought the Lakeway area needed another option as all private schools were so far away, my words not theirs.

They are a full private elementary school, not a daycare or pre-school but start at age 2 1/2 instead of just kindergarten. Their hours are regular school hours so if you need before and after school, I don't believe they have implemented that yet. They were wanting some community feedback first. This also means they do not have a summer program if you're looking for a daycare/preschool.

Overall, I liked the concept, especially learning mandarin with the spanish, but the hours don't work with my schedule. The owners are great and have a lot of ideas for future growth.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM

509 posts, read 1,539,577 times
I looked into it a bit as an alternative to another school that we chose for our oldest. They have an interesting curriculum with a focus on technology and foreign language (Spanish and Mandarin). Be warned though, they are expensive. $12,500 for children who enroll now through December, $15,000 for children who enroll after January. They did mention that this covers everything except for uniforms and afterschool activities.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,410 times
Visited the other day, want to put my older kid in - they will have a class open January for the older ones - looking v gd. Checked out the NY school plus one in England - legit w gd track record. Seems to be a really forward looking place w high standards.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,039,518 times
bit surprised at the term "owners" is this a for-profit school? Do they have non-profit status? Board of Directors?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 AM

101 posts, read 218,258 times
In response to centralaustinite I have posted several postings on the site about Abercorn as a friend of mine sends their child there so I have heard about it firsthand. To be clear i only mentioned it where there were questions asked where i thought info on the school was relevant. I have also answered numerous other posts about numerous other austin matters from restaurants to places to live.

My friends daughter is three years old and goes to the school and loves it. I have visited the school during an open house and met the teachers and was very impressed.

In answer to some of the questions:

a) it is for profit and owned by a family - they do no fundraising and have a board of directors
b) they have a 25 year history and schools in london and new york so its not a startup
c) it is a school not a daycare or preschool. I suspect that is why they are priced where they are. i believe st andrews and st stephens cost more and fundraise although we have only looked into st andrews
d) my friend's daughter is starting at an afterschool club at the school this week called Lupine Lane. this means that she will be at school from 830 in the morning till 5. she has also been offered supervised care till 6 and the chance to drop her daughter off as early as 730 if more convenient to her
e) they told us at the open house that they plan to have a summer camp
f) i like the fact that they have rolling admissions as my son wont be ready to start school in august as he will be barely 2 and a half but they can take him in a few months later rather than waiting for a new school year.
g) they told me that they plan to be a school for the greater austin community and already have kids from all over austin

Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,410 times
Yes, I know they r doing a summer camp for July. They still have school thru June as well which suits us as I can't take time off during those months.
hsc2 - have they already promise u a place for yr son? They r quite small so the places r probably going quickly = how soon would I have to apply for my younger one or would he get in once his older sister starts this yr?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM

101 posts, read 218,258 times
no they havent made any promises. they have told me that we will have to go for an interview. best thing to do is call the school. I think they give sibling preferences so if you have one already there helps.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,008 times
I am searching for the parents' feedback on Abercorn International School after the school opened about a full academic year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: