Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OVER half the population in Texas could no longer qualify for a mortgage
I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I think one thing we've learned from the past two years is that home ownership is not a de facto "good". In other words, more home ownership is not necessarily better. Some people are not financially able to support home ownership and it's good for a flexible economy for a good number of citizens to rent so that they can easily move when the economy shifts to where the jobs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
At last survey, the AVERAGE credit score for the state of Texas was 635. By raising the bottom limit to 640, OVER half the population in Texas could no longer qualify for a mortgage. Texas is a huge state and we're going to lose a lot of potential home buyers if they implement it.
A little care should be taken citing those stats, my friend. Unless there is a statistical 'coincidence', the average doesn't mean half below/half above, population-wise. It means the scores average 635, not that half the population is below that number(and above that number).

"There are lies, there are damned lies...and then there are statistics!"
Paraphrased from the quote of a person much wittier than I.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
median is the middle number. Average is the sum/total which is not necessarily the middle.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,241 times
Quote:
At last survey, the AVERAGE credit score for the state of Texas was 635. By raising the bottom limit to 640, OVER half the population in Texas could no longer qualify for a mortgage. Texas is a huge state and we're going to lose a lot of potential home buyers if they implement it.
Good!

Frankly, if you can't manage your finances enough to get a 635, you probably are not financially ready to take on home ownership and all the associated costs of home ownership.

The big reason our country is in the mess has less to do with risky Wall Street investments and more to do with people buying homes who could not afford them.

A major factor in determining your credit score is how much of your available credit is being used. Pay down your credit cards and loans and you will see your credit score rise rapidly. Pay off your cc's and loans in full and a 700+ is almost a given. And if you can't afford to pay down your credit cards and loans to do this, then the last thing you should be thinking of doing is taking on more debt in the form of a mortgage.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I see your point that it doesn't necessarily mean "half", but in generalities it does. If it's an average, with numbers that are in a small range of 350 up to 850, it would be roughly half have higher and half have lower. If there was a wide range like 0-1000 or even wider, it definitely wouldn't be half. Smaller ranges, less likely for it to not be very close to a half split with the wide number of people being accounted for. It's probably not true in smaller states.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
I see your point that it doesn't necessarily mean "half", but in generalities it does. If it's an average, with numbers that are in a small range of 350 up to 850, it would be roughly half have higher and half have lower. If there was a wide range like 0-1000 or even wider, it definitely wouldn't be half. Smaller ranges, less likely for it to not be very close to a half split with the wide number of people being accounted for. It's probably not true in smaller states.
No 10scochrick is right. Your kind of approach works okay if there is something like a bell curve but many datasets are not like this and are very skewed to the lower or upper ends. E.G. the are a lot more people earning less than $10k/year but the few billionaires out there drive up average incomes leaving median incomes lagging far behind. You have to look at both median and average to get a complete picture.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,145 times
I think Falcohead is correct and probably even worse. Most of statistical distributions kinda follow Gaussion function. When the sample set is big enough, average also means expectation, which means 95% of the people will be within 635 plus minus a certain variance. Basically, more than half are below 640. Considering the bank always only takes the lower credit score if a couple apply for loan jointly, the situation will be even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
No 10scochrick is right. Your kind of approach works okay if there is something like a bell curve but many datasets are not like this and are very skewed to the lower or upper ends. E.G. the are a lot more people earning less than $10k/year but the few billionaires out there drive up average incomes leaving median incomes lagging far behind. You have to look at both median and average to get a complete picture.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,145 times
No, there is no "let them eat cake", but "give me your cake, or you will be dead meat" They need money badly. It is true that they could have more than enough money after a few months, but at that time, they need it. I heard "xxxx bank is too big to fail" from TV all the time. It is like you will have a million-dollar job after 2 months, but what about the 2 months before you get your pay check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
i don't think there is a "let 'em eat cake" attitude in this country --

Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
Good!

Frankly, if you can't manage your finances enough to get a 635, you probably are not financially ready to take on home ownership and all the associated costs of home ownership.

The big reason our country is in the mess has less to do with risky Wall Street investments and more to do with people buying homes who could not afford them.
A big part of the housing price boom was because mortgages became too easy to get. If you were still required to put 20% down, the average house price in Austin would probably be closer to $120K.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
If foreclosures are an issue, than raising the required credit score makes complete logical sense to me.

I bet there is a strong correlation between those who default on loans, and those on the low end of the acceptable credit scores (based on what was accepted at the time they got their loan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin