Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Austin TX arts: Theater, dance, ballet, opera, art galleries, museums | Austin360.com

This seems totally, terribly ufair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Well the article says that last years "First Night" cost $250K whereas the city had originally set aside $375K for the TOL so if the city had to choose I think it makes sense to choose the cheaper one unless someone can prove why the additional $125K is better spent on TOL. That's also assuming that the city budgets $250K for this years, there's only a vague statement about

"While we certainly can’t promise something on the scope or scale that our partners have done in the past"

Don't know if that means they are planning on scaling down further from the $250K, or if "the past" refers to previous "First Nights" that have cost more than the $250K that last years cost (I assume at least a bit of the former or why else would one make any comment at all if you were going to achieve similar goals as last years)?

So a sucky decision to have to make, and I know for me personally, I've never been to a "First Night" but have been to a bunch of TOL so I'll certainly miss the latter and if I had my druthers, would prefer to see it stay while the other goes. That said, I don't know that it's necessarily "unfair" if the numbers just don't add up in it's favor.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:23 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
First Night is a certain ex-mayor's wife's pet project. No influential person has championed the Trail of Lights cause, unfortunately.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
First Night is a certain ex-mayor's wife's pet project. No influential person has championed the Trail of Lights cause, unfortunately.
I was thinking the same thing. What a disappointment.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Yet, with two dedicated police helicopters, the Police chief wants 3 more? Whoa there spending our money, guy! There won't be any left for the trail of lights.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I was thinking the same thing. What a disappointment.
Is she still involved with this??

May I add that First Night only serves the community for- one night? Trail of Lights was for five or six. TOL really brought all parts of Austin and surrounding areas together. What a shame.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, I don't think that certain ex- is involved any more> Better that she was, they would probably have the money on their own. We'll miss the Trail but at least the Zilker tree will still be there. We enjoyed First Night the one time we went, but not sure if we will go again.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,589 times
Typically in other cities when cuts of this kind are made public a corporation or "high net worth" individual/family will step in to foot part or all of the bill. In the past we've discussed how Austin is lacking in this area. Obviously I know that times are tough and this is a lot of $$$, but it would be nice to see someone in the community step up and at least offer partial funding with a challenge to others to match it.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
"Unfair?" No, I don't think that it's unfair; it's simply necessary.

I would rather my city not spend money that it doesn't have, especially if it's for entertainment. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that First Night is even necessary. Sure, these are great things for our community, I won't argue that. But if the city can't afford it, it can't afford it.

The economy is brutal. While it's sad about the TOL, there will probably come a time when this can feasibly be done again in the near or far future. In the meantime, while the entire nation recovers, I'm not about to complain about something that's relatively insignificant. I would rather the existing money go to services that are absolutely needed.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The city hasn't funded it before. The non profit that did canceled it so the city picked it up.

First Night Austin scaled back - Austin Business Journal
"First Night Austin, the nonprofit that organizes the New Year’s Eve event by the same name, has canceled this year’s event after it was unable to meet its sponsorship goals. As a result, the city of Austin is stepping in to produce a small-scale New Year’s event."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin