Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM

399 posts, read 974,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
New construction might be a problem but look for infill construction.
Not to mention a house with 5 bedrooms and 4 baths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
You just come on down to central Austin! No one will bat an eye. Two mom and two dad families aren't a rarity in Central Austin. They are probably fairly common in the close-in burbs (Circle C, Steiner) too. Get a good realtor and you'll be fine. New construction might be a problem but look for infill construction.
Would people further out in the newer suburbs be more conservative/anti-gay? That seems to be more the situation here in Denver. We live in a large "infill project" within the city of Denver and love it. The problem I've found with a lot of "central" neighborhoods in cities is that they don't have good schools, which is important. (If I had no kids, I wouldn't care about schools).

I've been to Austin before and liked the housing up into the Hill Country, but worry that might not be so "gay friendly", and our budget might not get us much. But we would want around 3000 sq. ft. Mainly because we often have two people working at home and grandparents visiting, so we need that guest and work space. I'd also prefer a very small lot. I don't like mowing/watering grass, and especially don't want to spend an hour mowing in the south TX heat and humidity

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Would people further out in the newer suburbs be more conservative/anti-gay?
People out in the suburbs will be more conservative for sure! But anti-gay? Actively unfriendly? NO!

Texas is a more libertarian, live-and-let-live kind of place. There is no Focus on the Family headquartered here. I know gay couples who live in Dripping Springs and Bastrop.

Now there can be jerks and idiots everywhere including here. But I feel confident saying that even in the most distant burbs there is very little actively anti-gay sentiments. You might be a bit of an oddity. Closer in to central Austin you would have a better chance of being just one of several gay families.

What you really need is a kick-ass realtor.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Would people further out in the newer suburbs be more conservative/anti-gay?
I just want to jump in here and write, one can be a fiscal conservative and still believe gay people have just as much an inherent natural right to marry as heterosexuals. Please don't put us fiscal conservatives in a box.

Whew, now with that out of the way, I live in Circle C. We know most of our neighbors and are friends with some. I have to admit, the topic rarely ever comes up so I can't speak for everyone I know, but the people we know well likely wouldn't care either way. But again, I can't speak for everyone.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
This is what another poster has said about the Austin suburbs:

Quote:
SW Austin isn't THAT conservative. I ride my bike in just my thong through Circle C, Meridian, etc. every weekend. Usually I just get some whistles and friendly waves.
If those are the neighborhood reactions he gets, I can't imagine anyone would blink at a gay family living in the neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I just want to jump in here and write, one can be a fiscal conservative and still believe gay people have just as much an inherent natural right to marry as heterosexuals. Please don't put us fiscal conservatives in a box.

Whew, now with that out of the way, I live in Circle C. We know most of our neighbors and are friends with some. I have to admit, the topic rarely ever comes up so I can't speak for everyone I know, but the people we know well likely wouldn't care either way. But again, I can't speak for everyone.
Oh, I know there are plenty of fiscal conservatives out there who are in no way "anti-gay". And Austin has a reputation for being overall more liberal/accepting of different people anyway.

What I like about having other gay parents in my neighborhood is that my kids see that they're not in some weird family that's different from all others. Obviously most kids in our current neighborhood have heterosexual parents, but they all know there are kids with same sex parents around as well. I've read studies where kids raised by gay parents are much more likely to experience bullying in school if they're in a very socially conservative area.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
People out in the suburbs will be more conservative for sure! But anti-gay? Actively unfriendly? NO!

Texas is a more libertarian, live-and-let-live kind of place. There is no Focus on the Family headquartered here. I know gay couples who live in Dripping Springs and Bastrop.

Now there can be jerks and idiots everywhere including here. But I feel confident saying that even in the most distant burbs there is very little actively anti-gay sentiments. You might be a bit of an oddity. Closer in to central Austin you would have a better chance of being just one of several gay families.

What you really need is a kick-ass realtor.
I agree. If this move ends up taking place, we'll choose our realtor carefully.

How are schools in central Austin?

Just taking a quick look online at some of the new construction in the Austin area, it looks very cheap compared to what we're used to. Where we currently live, $500K gets you about 2200 sq. feet and a very small lot. I prefer small lots (low maintenance), but I also don't think we need 4500 sq. feet of house! I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap to cool such a large space in summer. I also don't like houses with a large driveway and garage in front.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM

http://www.realtyaustin.com/idx/homes/texas/austin/78703/3218-funston-st/2850811.html (broken link)

I'm not sure about this neighborhood, but this house would definitely be along the lines of what we'd look for, and it says it's in the Austin school district. Is this a decent neighborhood? Would this have been a "scrape-off", as they're called here in Denver? Meaning, they tore down an old house and built this one in its place.

Last edited by denverian; 02-08-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM

399 posts, read 974,388 times
Quote:
Home Search

I'm not sure about this neighborhood, but this house would definitely be along the lines of what we'd look for, and it says it's in the Austin school district. Is this a decent neighborhood? Would this have been a "scrape-off", as they're called here in Denver? Meaning, they tore down an old house and built this one in its place.
The link just takes you to the search page. What's the address of the place?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
The link just takes you to the search page. What's the address of the place?
I just updated it. I'm just thinking this is probably along the lines of what we'd look for, as an example. Somewhere west/NW of downtown. A assume by the prices that this area would probably be desirable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin