Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times

Advertisements

Many liberal cities in this country are becoming gentrified with straight people who can actually handle living next to gay people. Gays seem to be divided on whether this is a good thing or not. You can actually see this in Austin as the city as a whole is liberal by Texas standards. Gay bars are next to straight bars, but most straight people are accepting of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I believe that TXDOT is investigating putting up new toll readers that can sense NRA tags as well as toll tags since all the existing toll roads lead into/out of the burbs. They are also considering changing their normal camera detection to automatically take a picture of the license and driver of any car that has any sort of rainbow emblem and then use it to post onto the large automated highway signs so that all the conservatives know if any of "those people" are in the area.

They're still a bit undecided about what to do if both an NRA tag and rainbow sticker are encountered.
Dang, there's no good for ROFLMAO!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
REALLY. Conservative San Antonio. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but...seriously?

In fact, I'm sorry but I'm really close to calling Manchester on that.

San Antonio is a pretty liberal place. I don't know why people think it is conservative.

According to this article, Looks like a gay couple had to go to a San Antonio judge to get a adoption approved, Houston courts were giving them problems. Hmm... and San Antonio is suppose to be the conservative city.

Alamo City highest percentage of gay couples raising families in the U.S.
https://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/press/SATopsinGayCoupleswithkids.html (broken link)

Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I think a place should just be friendly - to everyone. Not gay friendly or black friendly or singles friendly, etc. - just friendly to everyone. Personally, I want my neighbors to be friendly, good people. I don't care about their race or sexual orrientation. I want good neighbors who are considerate and want to live in harmony with others. I don't know that everyplace in the Austin area is like that, but as a resident, I will try to be like that. And I live in the suburbs and don't own a gun. I suppose this doesn't help the discussion, as the OP probably can't glean much information about Austin from one person's attitude. But I think that there are a lot of people who would welcome a gay family as just a family, and they would be judged by others on their actions as neighbors. I can't help with finding a mono-cultural "community". I think multi-cultural communities are the ideal.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think a place should just be friendly - to everyone. Not gay friendly or black friendly or singles friendly, etc. - just friendly to everyone. Personally, I want my neighbors to be friendly, good people. I don't care about their race or sexual orrientation. I want good neighbors who are considerate and want to live in harmony with others. I don't know that everyplace in the Austin area is like that, but as a resident, I will try to be like that. And I live in the suburbs and don't own a gun. I suppose this doesn't help the discussion, as the OP probably can't glean much information about Austin from one person's attitude. But I think that there are a lot of people who would welcome a gay family as just a family, and they would be judged by others on their actions as neighbors. I can't help with finding a mono-cultural "community". I think multi-cultural communities are the ideal.

YES! EXACTLY! This is a great description of true acceptance, and a pretty good description of Austin's attitude towards gay families.

Bottom line, whether you're gay or straight, white, black, brown, or purple, Democrat, Republican, or neither, the bottom line, and all that really matters to the folks I know, is, are you a good neighbor.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I agree completely. I just want good neighbors.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Any magazine of publication that Austin is a "Gay friendly" city is once again based upon the cities knowledge of a good number of the gay population being "well to do". So they try to promote Austin as gay friendly to encourage more growth in the high end places like downtown and central austin. The suburbs are downright scarey for gays. (and anyone who doesn't own a gun)

Remember all, YOUR tax dollars are at work here!
Oh Bull****, a friend of mine, who happens to be a lesbian has come to visit numerous times. She's stayed in our suburban home for a few days at a time and she hasn't been frightened in the least. She live is San Antonio and has had no complaints there either.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above were deleted. Here's a reminder for the thread from the Terms of Service.

Quote:
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued.
If you see a post with any of these things in it, please use the Report Post button and let the moderator team know about it.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Oh Bull****, a friend of mine, who happens to be a lesbian has come to visit numerous times. She's stayed in our suburban home for a few days at a time and she hasn't been frightened in the least. She live is San Antonio and has had no complaints there either.
This is only useful information if people can tell she was a lesbian just by looking at her or if she went around broadcasting she is a lesbian.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
This is only useful information if people can tell she was a lesbian just by looking at her or if she went around broadcasting she is a lesbian.
I could tell she was gay the first time I met her, but maybe my gaydar is finely tuned.... what the heck do you mean? My response was to someone that said gay people fear the suburbs here, I provided an example of gay friend that doesn't and who lives in a San Antonio suburb as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin