Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times

Advertisements

Yes, Austin is still Texas, but that doesn't really mean much in terms of gay acceptance. Why, then, did Travis County reject Prop 2 (in 2005) while LA County rejected prop 8 (three years later). To give you an idea, Travis County rejected Prop 2 by a margin comparable to Bay Area counties (and in fact a significantly higher margin than even Santa Clara County (San Jose). In fact, Travis County rejected it by about the same margin as Multnomah County (Portland, OR) rejected Measure 36 (40-60 in both cases), this while Travis County encompasses a much bigger chunk of the Austin area than Multnomah County does of the Portland area.

Just putting things into perspective on a national level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,284 times
As far as I know Austin does not have a West Hollywood, or anything sort of neighborhood like that that I remember being pretty common in LA and San Diego when I lived in Cali. I believe Houston also has a pretty big gay neighborhood. However, I live in a pretty small neighborhood and there are 4 gay couples living here, 2 with kids. That might be a bit more than you will find in most neighborhood but not really sure.

Also I'd disagree with that other poster saying that outside of Austin the rest of Texas is all kinds of crazy anti-gay. That is just not true. I'm sure you will find people that will be uncomfortable around you here or there in rural Texas, and perhaps even some rude, but sadly that is quite possible just about anywhere. Even Houston, the largest city in the state, is the first major city in the US to have a gay mayor. Which oddly enough Dallas almost became the first major US city with a gay mayor before Houston in their 2007 election. Sadly I believe that poster is just trying to encourage negative stereotyping of Texans, or more likely looking at the posters other post is just trying to cause trouble in threads for some reason.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 11-02-2010 at 06:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 33,689 times
Default Gay In Texas (Austin and Corpus Christi)

My partner and I live in Corpus Christi which, like Austin, has no gay neighborhoods. However, there are several gay couples in our building, and the straight couples who buy condos here don't even consider that an issue. The downtown condos in Austin would probably be like the tower we are living in now, with the Gays and Straights getting along nicely.
The biggest condos in downtown Austin are at the Austonian, which would be great for a larger family like yours.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:26 AM

355 posts, read 923,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
As far as I know Austin does not have a West Hollywood, or anything sort of neighborhood like that that I remember being pretty common in LA and San Diego when I lived in Cali. I believe Houston also has a pretty big gay neighborhood. However, I live in a pretty small neighborhood and there are 4 gay couples living here, 2 with kids. That might be a bit more than you will find in most neighborhood but not really sure.

Also I'd disagree with that other poster saying that outside of Austin the rest of Texas is all kinds of crazy anti-gay. That is just not true. I'm sure you will find people that will be uncomfortable around you here or there in rural Texas, and perhaps even some rude, but sadly that is quite possible just about anywhere. Even Houston, the largest city in the state, is the first major city in the US to have a gay mayor. Which oddly enough Dallas almost became the first major US city with a gay mayor before Houston in their 2007 election. Sadly I believe that poster is just trying to encourage negative stereotyping of Texans, or more likely looking at the posters other post is just trying to cause trouble in threads for some reason.
Exaggeration? Sadly, no.

A gay pal of mine sent me this You Tube video from a TV station in Tyler. The topic? "Will homosexuals be the downfall of America?" Pretty depressing, scary stuff:

Courage Campaign | NBC TAKE ACTION

I've heard neighbors of mine, just 11 miles outside of Austin speak about gays in a similar manner.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I agree with lemonlime. Hegemony is the problem. Sure, there might be a sizable amount of voters who were supportive of gay marriage in Austin, Texas. However, what about the hundreds of thousands or ruling clique who find it repulsive and just didn't bother to vote on it. The ruling clique in all areas of Texas is conservative. However, my experiences with Dallas people have been a little different. They are sincerely tolerant in most cases. They seem to understand that it is okay for people to be different. And I've never had an ugly stare or been called a f** for wearing skinny jeans. I remember walking to my car in downtown Austin and being called a f** by someone who drove by. Another time someone drove by and threw trash out their window in my direction. And at Luby's two bus-boys were saying f** under their breath at me. When I tried to discuss this with other people to get support and empathy they retorted with snide comments like "Ohhhh no. Austin is liberal. You don't know anything."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Exaggeration? Sadly, no.

A gay pal of mine sent me this You Tube video from a TV station in Tyler. The topic? "Will homosexuals be the downfall of America?" Pretty depressing, scary stuff:

Courage Campaign | NBC TAKE ACTION

I've heard neighbors of mine, just 11 miles outside of Austin speak about gays in a similar manner.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-02-2010 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Actually I was sneered at and called names in Austin, Texas (2008 era). I wouldn't want any liberal person to experience that. I agree though when you say they expect you to tone it down. You cannot wear skinny jeans even though every single rock musician has been wearing them since The Beatles era! I remember walking down a street in Dallas one night and someone yelled out "Hey it's a young George Harrison." Another time I was walking down a street in Denton and somebody yelled out "Hey you are hot." So instead of people seeing me as something neutral like a young George Harrison or a hot guy the people in Austin would rather call me degrading names like F**.

From what I observed in 2008 was the dress code in Austin had to be khaki shorts or khaki pants, cargo shorts, athletic shorts and athletic shirts, multi-colored collared shirts, Berkenstocks, and boat shoes. If not then you are considered a radical or a freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
T I never thought that Austin was particularly gay friendly in the slightest. I think people in Austin define gay friendly when a homosexual isn't given stares or called names in public. As anyone who has lived in a genuinely gay friendly city or state, that is hardly the definition of gay friendliness. In Austin, there is a difference in how gays are treated in downtown vs the suburbs. If you are gay, you are expected to "tone it down" in the suburbs and keep it on the DL, then and only then will you be "accepted"

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-02-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
artsyguy, are you sure that you were in Austin, Texas? Nothing you have said in all the posts I've seen from you complaining about Austin in all the time I've been here at C-D has been at all recognizable to me (or apparently to many of the other gay men who are on C-D, either).

Remember, sometimes when people don't like you (generic) or laugh at you or whatever, it has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Really. It could be something else that you don't want to acknowledge, or it might be easier for them to say it's that (or, more likely, for you to assume that it's that) than to tell you that it's your basic personality or that you're too pushy (no matter who you like to sleep with) or that your breath is bad or that you, personally, look ridiculous in skinny jeans or you're a bad neighbor or something like that. It is, after all, possible.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:59 PM

I think the usage of the word f** clears everything up about what their intent was. The only people who can speak of whether discrimination happens or not are minorities themselves. Liberal minorities are able to intuit on their own on whether they are welcomed or not. If you are white and straight. Then you really cannot say anything relevant on the issue because you've never been discriminated. Inappropriate criticism and unforgiving attitudes toward personality flaws and mistakes are some of the clues that give minorities the red flag that they are not welcomed there. Personality flaws to you might just be the unique personality of the minority. Perfectionism is a huge problem with white supremacy. And if the minorities are not living up to the standards of perfection whether it be personality, looks, neighbor etiquette, breath, etc...then bigots think it's appropriate to mock and make another feel insecure until they are pushed out of the city.

You bring up skinny jeans, bad personality, bad breath, and being a bad neighbor ..... all of which would be tolerated in a truly liberal city. The hallmark of liberalism is being non-judgmental, broad-minded, and tolerant. For example there is a lady I work with who is grossly obese, wears tights, and has bad breath and sometimes she is moody and pushy as anyone can be. But I am always respectful of her and I consider her a friend. It's not that hard to look past her flaws and see her for a person. I also tolerated my bad neighbors when I lived in Austin. I waved and said "hello" to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
artsyguy, are you sure that you were in Austin, Texas? Nothing you have said in all the posts I've seen from you complaining about Austin in all the time I've been here at C-D has been at all recognizable to me (or apparently to many of the other gay men who are on C-D, either).

Remember, sometimes when people don't like you (generic) or laugh at you or whatever, it has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Really. It could be something else that you don't want to acknowledge, or it might be easier for them to say it's that (or, more likely, for you to assume that it's that) than to tell you that it's your basic personality or that you're too pushy (no matter who you like to sleep with) or that your breath is bad or that you, personally, look ridiculous in skinny jeans or you're a bad neighbor or something like that. It is, after all, possible.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-02-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy;16499691

You bring up skinny jeans, bad personality, bad breath, and being a bad neighbor ..... all of which would be tolerated in a truly [B
liberal [/b]city.
Not at all. If that's the case, there is no such thing as a truly liberal city. I lived in Seattle which proudly calls itself liberal and it was one of the most rigid places I've ever lived. There was much judgment. There are a-holes everywhere.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree with lemonlime. Hegemony is the problem. Sure, there might be a sizable amount of voters who were supportive of gay marriage in Austin, Texas. However, what about the hundreds of thousands or ruling clique who find it repulsive and just didn't bother to vote on it. The ruling clique in all areas of Texas is conservative. However, my experiences with Dallas people have been a little different. They are sincerely tolerant in most cases. They seem to understand that it is okay for people to be different. And I've never had an ugly stare or been called a f** for wearing skinny jeans. I remember walking to my car in downtown Austin and being called a f** by someone who drove by. Another time someone drove by and threw trash out their window in my direction. And at Luby's two bus-boys were saying f** under their breath at me. When I tried to discuss this with other people to get support and empathy they retorted with snide comments like "Ohhhh no. Austin is liberal. You don't know anything."
That's the weakest argument for anything I've ever heard.

How about this: what about the hundreds of thousands who find it perfectly acceptable and just don't bother to vote on it? My hundreds of thousands just canceled out your hundreds of thousands. For every imagined "silent majority" I can make up a perfectly opposite silent majority.

Back to square one, buddy.

Also, anyone can call anyone a f** anywhere. Austin is NOT the gay-friendliest city in the nation. It just isn't. And I don't think anyone is saying that. But last I checked, hate crimes were being committed in NYC, San Diego, etc. I guess NYC isn't liberal to you either?

And what self-respecting gay eats at Luby's? (j/k)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin