Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
...picking up big girl panties is a lot harder when you get 100 buck tickets for going over a white line faster than 1 mile an hour making a right turn...

What does "picking up big girl panties" mean? I have not heard that expression before. It really is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
My resentment is regarding cops hiding in the same spot trying to find offenses.
I just found this funny... shouldn't that be a major mental note in your head? I can tell you every single place I've ever noticed a cop hiding on my typical drives and I'm quite sure to make sure I'm close enough to the speed limit/driving legally at those points.

Sure, it'd be nice if the entire police force is out to catch murders and rapists, but a fact of life is some of them are on traffic duty, especially in a town like CP where not as much major crime is going on. Round Rock might not have the same stigma with it, but they have their 4 or 5 spots I'll see them hiding every now and then on my typical commute. I shouldn't be surprised if I get pulled over there doing something I shouldn't have.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:19 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
I am sort of confused how you get stopped four times in the same place and dont realize that you should be more careful when driving thru that space. That's sort of like the guy who tried to rob the doughnut store full of cops.

We hear this a lot in life, don't we. "I was breaking the law, but it was a little law, why aren't cops out catching real bad guys??!!"

You broke the law several times, you got several tickets. The aggressiveness of the cops is not a factor. If anything, it only says that cops in other municipalities let too many things slide. I have gotten a huge number or tickets over the years, and they are irritating, but they are my fault. Blaming the cops and saying "they are just trying to collect revenue, or they are just being picky" is sort of a childish argument.

If you don't break the law, they can't ticket you. It's paranoid to say that the cops are just looking for a reason to bust you.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 10-03-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
All Cops in the area are ticket happy with the budget crunch. Austin PD and Travis County Sheriffs literally have a turf war over the school zone ticket feasting ground in Steiner Ranch. 23 in a 20 is probably over a $200 ticket in a school zone and they hand them out like candy.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,079 times
It happens to be the main street from my house so I'm driving it everyday and I'm not thinking about it. I've lived there almost a year but it's just in the last month that I've had all this interaction. I just needed to vent.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I am sort of confused how you get stopped four times in the same place and dont realize that you should be more careful when driving thru that space. That's sort of like the guy who tried to rob the doughnut store full of cops.

We hear this a lot in life, don't we. "I was breaking the law, but it was a little law, why aren't cops out catching real bad guys??!!"

You broke the law several times, you got several tickets. The aggressiveness of the cops is not a factor. If anything, it only says that cops in other municipalities let too many things slide. I have gotten a huge number or tickets over the years, and they are irritating, but they are my fault. Blaming the cops and saying "they are just trying to collect revenue, or they are just being picky" is sort of a childish argument.

If you don't break the law, they can't ticket you. It's paranoid to say that the cops are just looking for a reason to bust you.
JB, .do you thank the cops when you get a ticket as well? I'll bet you did get one at one point in your life, and I can voucesafe you didn't click your heels in joy when you went to the courthouse to pay the same!

Cops should still be patrolling Cedar Park, regardless of how "safe" it is..

thats the point of having a "watch"..even just to let others know of your presence, let alone keep an eye on what is going on...hard to keep an eye when you are sitting on your arse eating donuts in one spot for 4-5 hours, waiting to bust a few people just to justify your being there...you can still bust people for speeding while on the move, BTW..the radar works just fine...

BTW, the whole game is rigged, as speedtraps are located in MPH drop offs, just when it cuts off a 5-10 MPH tick, so they know they'll get plenty of fish in a barrel....same as the red light cams that ticket those that go faster than 1 MPH an hour over the white line while turning right...all rigged for the rev!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:38 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
JB, .do you thank the cops when you get a ticket as well? I'll bet you did get one at one point in your life, and I can voucesafe you didn't click your heels in joy when you went to the courthouse to pay the same!

Cops should still be patrolling Cedar Park, regardless of how "safe" it is..

thats the point of having a "watch"..even just to let others know of your presence, let alone keep an eye on what is going on...hard to keep an eye when you are sitting on your arse eating donuts in one spot for 4-5 hours, waiting to bust a few people just to justify your being there...you can still bust people for speeding while on the move, BTW..the radar works just fine...

BTW, the whole game is rigged, as speedtraps are located in MPH drop offs, just when it cuts off a 5-10 MPH tick, so they know they'll get plenty of fish in a barrel....same as the red light cams that ticket those that go faster than 1 MPH an hour over the white line while turning right...all rigged for the rev!
Not at all.

I don't thank my dentist when he tells me I have a cavity.

On the other hand, I also don't yank up my dentist by the collar and say "you wanted me to have that cavity!! This is all your fault!! This is just a scam to sale toothbrushes!! I have no responsibility in the matter!! The system is rigged!!!!"

I guess you do though. Your poor dentists.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
It happens to be the main street from my house so I'm driving it everyday and I'm not thinking about it. I've lived there almost a year but it's just in the last month that I've had all this interaction. I just needed to vent.
The same thing happened to me in Ann Arbor years ago. Pulled over for speeding about a 1/2 mi. from my apartment. I knew the cops always hid there looking to nab speeders and one day my number came up. I told the officer that I lived right there and just wasn't paying attention and that I knew they patrolled the area. He let me go with a warning.

I've never lived in a place as aggressive with the tickets as Texas. I consider it a state tax.

Just pay the fines and move on! My wifes inspection is currently expired, thanks for the reminder.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Not at all.

I don't thank my dentist when he tells me I have a cavity.

On the other hand, I also don't yank up my dentist by the collar and say "you wanted me to have that cavity!! This is all your fault!! This is just a scam to sale toothbrushes!! I have no responsibility in the matter!! The system is rigged!!!!"

I guess you do though. Your poor dentists.
Jay, I tried to give you some rep for this but it wants me to spread it around more first.

This is just such a PERFECT analogy to what I see happening so often on here (and off here, come to that) that I just burst out laughing (and am still giggling).

"I did something wrong! I got caught! It's all the fault of the TERRIBLE person who caught me!"

Brings to mind Jake Blue explaining to Princess Leia (or whoever she was playing in the Blues Brothers) about why he left her at the alter, and it was a long litany of "IT'S NOT MY FAULT!" when it so clearly was.

There's a lot of that going around these days, it seems.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
What does "picking up big girl panties" mean? I have not heard that expression before. It really is stupid.
It's pull up, not pick up, and when I used it I was thinking that it was really going to sound dated, because it was going around a lot several years ago

Basically, it means grow up and take responsibility or grow up and quite your whining and deal with it . . . basically, just grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin