U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM

1,938 posts, read 5,979,470 times

Advertisements

Here's a website that talks about Austin's allergy rankings...

Allergy Capital of the World?

Interesting that you feel better in Austin Eileen because OR and WA rank way towards the bottom of this list while Austin is #4. It can take a while for the ragweed to start bothering you though.

Top 50 Fall Allergy Capitals

In this one Austin is #24 while Seattle and Portland are #98 and #100 for 2009 Fall.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/709914

In 2007, Austin was #1 worst for fall allergies and Seattle was #100...I don't even know if OR made the top 100 that year.

2010 Rankings are not out yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,021,585 times
I lived in Austin for nearly a decade and it never bothered me. Lucky, I guess.

That green film of pollen covering everything in the morning was like none I've ever seen... and I've lived in quite a few different states and another country.

I had a room mate for a short time while living in Silicon Gulch that actually had to move away from Austin.
He'd had lung probs as a kid and Waterloo was gonna kill him.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM

187 posts, read 416,689 times
Have any of y'all ever tried a neti pot? One of my coworkers swears by it to help treat his allergies, but the whole idea just seems weird to me ...

Do Neti Pots Really Work?

My DH is deathly allergic to ragweed, but his symptoms haven't been anywhere near as bad as in the past. We knew that with all of the rain this summer that ragweed would be ridiculous this fall, so he started taking his prescription allergy meds about 2 weeks before the predicted beginning of the sneezy season. (Which is what his allergist has told him to do every year for the past 7 yrs! Men!) Well .... he listened this year! He's not gone to the ER once with trouble breathing, hasn't had one sinus infection, & we're not going thru the tissues like it's going out of style! LOL!

Ain't it amazing ... the doctor knew what he was talking about ... btw, the allergist is Dr. Otto at Austin Regional Clinic, in case y'all were wondering.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM

947 posts, read 2,911,206 times
I have tried the neti pot and it isn't working for me this year, too much in the air. It's something you have to use every day morning and night.

I have started using Allergy Buster nasal spray. It's basically pepper and nettles that you are spraying into your nose. It's extreme but it's working better for me this year than the neti pot. I bought it at CVS but you can see reviews about it on Amazon.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:14 PM

16,775 posts, read 43,266,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor_Mom View Post
Have any of y'all ever tried a neti pot? One of my coworkers swears by it to help treat his allergies, but the whole idea just seems weird to me ...

Do Neti Pots Really Work?

My DH is deathly allergic to ragweed, but his symptoms haven't been anywhere near as bad as in the past. We knew that with all of the rain this summer that ragweed would be ridiculous this fall, so he started taking his prescription allergy meds about 2 weeks before the predicted beginning of the sneezy season. (Which is what his allergist has told him to do every year for the past 7 yrs! Men!) Well .... he listened this year! He's not gone to the ER once with trouble breathing, hasn't had one sinus infection, & we're not going thru the tissues like it's going out of style! LOL!

Ain't it amazing ... the doctor knew what he was talking about ... btw, the allergist is Dr. Otto at Austin Regional Clinic, in case y'all were wondering.
The neti pot helps me a lot, to relieve congestion and clean out the sinuses, but its not going solve all of ones problems when the air is full of mold or pollen that you are allergic to. To improve on that you need to take allergy shots for a year or more.

With allergy shots, neti pot (and sinus sprays occasionally) I have been able to control my symptoms and avoid getting a sinus infection for over 5 years. Previous to that I got one or two sinus infections every year when cedar was pollenating. This has been a big improvement for me and I breath easier most of the time.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:22 PM

16,775 posts, read 43,266,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Interesting that you feel better in Austin Eileen because OR and WA rank way towards the bottom of this list while Austin is #4. It can take a while for the ragweed to start bothering you though.
Not everyone is bothered by ragweed. I have been here 33 years and have on problem with it. Mold and Cedar are my biggest problems.

Many people complained the last month or so about the high ragweed pollen count. Didn't faze me, but I feel for them.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 PM

63 posts, read 117,925 times
dying here due to ragweed. UGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM

187 posts, read 416,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The neti pot helps me a lot, to relieve congestion and clean out the sinuses, but its not going solve all of ones problems when the air is full of mold or pollen that you are allergic to. To improve on that you need to take allergy shots for a year or more.

With allergy shots, neti pot (and sinus sprays occasionally) I have been able to control my symptoms and avoid getting a sinus infection for over 5 years. Previous to that I got one or two sinus infections every year when cedar was pollenating. This has been a big improvement for me and I breath easier most of the time.
How long did it take for the allergy shots to start showing some results & what allergist did you go to, if you don't mind my asking?

My DH can't use the neti pot until he gets some reconstruction surgery done on his sinuses. He had his nose broken & part of his sinuses crushed in an accident about 20 yrs ago. Is there anything special you put in the water of a neti pot or is it just a saline wash for the sinuses??

Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM

43 posts, read 70,802 times
The recipe I like is as follows: 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon Xylitol in 16 oz water. This will produce an "isotonic" solution meaning it's a similar salt concentration to the body's level. Lower levels will push water into the tissues and higher will draw it out. The first is uncomfortable and while the latter may have some benefit in terms of reducing swelling if used short term there are some studies indicating that a stronger (hypertonic) solution may damage the cilia so I'd rather play it safe. The baking soda buffers the solution. There have been a number of interesting studies done with Xylitol indicating it interferes with bacteria and it looks like it's valuable for dental use and to reduce ear infections. I use this body temp solution as a rinse with an ear syringe bulb which will give you a little more push than the Neti pot. Be sure to open your mouth wide and say "Ahhh..." as you do it to be sure you don't push the liquid where it doesn't belong (like the Eustachian tube). You can see people doing all kinds of things with their Neti pots and ear syringe bulbs on YouTube (including using Scotch -- bad idea!!). The saline rinse does help if for no other reason than you can get the pollens out of where they are causing trouble. Bend and turn your head around for a while after -- otherwise you can get a surprise release of solution later in what might be a more awkward situation.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,315,016 times
Alovert+ Sudafed+ Mucus Relief tabs+ netti pot+ air filter= manageable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin