U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM

4,175 posts, read 9,939,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
My question is in relation to Cedar Fever and that green pollin. DH is suffering from Cedar Fever and was prescribed Allegra D and a nasal steroid which usually worked quite well to manage his allergies in the bad years in Northern California. This stuff did not even touch his issues here so we are supplementing, with some fears, with Claritin, Sudafed and Claritin eye drops. He has a follow up with the doc because obviously this cannot continue. The appointment is Tuesday but I'm wondering if this rain will help.

To my mind the rain should have washed the pollin away into the dirt. Am I right? Do you think it will help?
Yes, the rain should help wash the pollen out of the air.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,258,019 times
I've noted on other allergy threads but it bears repeating...

If you have bad cedar fever, avoid red meat, wheat, and yeast. According to list I was given by my allergy doctor they all make the symptoms significantly worse. His example was that the worst thing you could have for dinner was a steak, bread, and a beer unless you wanted to end up on a stretcher.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,742,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
My question is in relation to Cedar Fever and that green pollin. DH is suffering from Cedar Fever and was prescribed Allegra D and a nasal steroid which usually worked quite well to manage his allergies in the bad years in Northern California. This stuff did not even touch his issues here so we are supplementing, with some fears, with Claritin, Sudafed and Claritin eye drops. He has a follow up with the doc because obviously this cannot continue. The appointment is Tuesday but I'm wondering if this rain will help.

To my mind the rain should have washed the pollin away into the dirt. Am I right? Do you think it will help?
Answer to your question about the rain. Yes it will help temporarily, but the pollen comes down so quickly that the next dry day with north winds will cause high pollen levels again.

To answer another person's comments about the cold. Last year was unseasonably cold, we even got to 11 degrees and my allergies were the worst they've ever been. If it's 11 degrees but dry it's the same as if it's 70 degrees and dry, the pollen is in the air. Rain everyday from December to end February is the only thing that would work but then we'd have to rename this city Portland

Unfortunately, the only remedy is to wait it out until the cedar trees have finished pollinating by late February.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,297,846 times
Wow.....Last night was bad. Did not get any sleep. Eyes are all gummy and itchy. That was a kick in the butt, let me tell you. I feel like there is absolutely no moisture in the air.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,742,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Wow.....Last night was bad. Did not get any sleep. Eyes are all gummy and itchy. That was a kick in the butt, let me tell you. I feel like there is absolutely no moisture in the air.
That's why I have a humidifier in my room running at full blast. Also, I have an ionizer running. The humidifier has a filter so that filters the dust out (in addition to your furnace filter), and the ionizer gets the small particles. However, you must sleep with all doors, windows, etc... closed to get full effect. If you have a door open to the main part of the house, all the humidity is lost. You may want to try this and report back in a week or two. By the way, no window in your house should ever be opened during cedar season, even if the weather is 75 and sunny. Right now it's no problem because you have the heat cranking most likely, but sometimes it can get warm in the winter. Resist the urge to open the window or you'll let all the pollen in. I've made that mistake in the past and regretted it. By March, open the windows without any reservations when it's nice.

Change the home filters monthly instead of every three months and change your humidity filter at the beginning of each season.

That being said, I've woken up with gunk in my eyes for the last month. And yes I use the eyedrops people have talked about but it does absolutely nothing after 10 minutes.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM

171 posts, read 364,941 times
I don't have cedar fever, but I do get a minor allergic reaction to mold spores. Benedryl works great for me, although I do get drowsy so I take it mostly at night, and only when it's really bad. The only side effect is having some pretty epic dreams - the kind that would be a Dio or Molly Hatchet album cover.

My eye doctor suggested Pataday before bed. He said to put the drops in, lie on my back with my eyes closed, and don't 'cry' it out for at least 5 minutes. When molds are high, it really helps with the morning eye gunk.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,867,280 times
Yes Cedar is a beast especially if your a newcomer but it takes 2-3 years for your body to get used to it, seriously. Eat a lot of honey, and eucalyptus, pachuoli for your air diffuser.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM

63 posts, read 117,925 times
I will say this again.. go to COSTCO and BUY THIS NOW! It is 365 pills for $16 and it is the generic form of Zyrtec. I feel like I dont even have allergies with this!!

Costco - Kirkland Signature

Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 70,802 times
Costco also has generic Claratine (Loratadine). Everyone has to find what will work for them. If you Google Zyrtec side effects you'll see quite a few posts of people (especially kids) having emotional problems from it -- particularly depression and anger. So hopefully it will work as well for you as the poster but if you start feeling weird be advised. I found that if keep taking Claratin (which I think helps a little) I start getting dried out -- can't drink enough water; if I keep taking Zyrtec (which helps a little) I feel kind of zombie like and not too happy. So I'm leaning towards alternating and sometimes taking nothing, Feel like a sneezy lab rat!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,791,897 times
Just take Zyrtec, and you will be fine. Not sure why people suffer and don't take any meds!

Zyrtec does not have side effects. At least I haven't had any. It does not make you tired!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin