Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 29,846 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move to Round Rock next month and will be renting for a bit while we get a lay of the land, etc. I've already gotten a good feel for eastside and westside neighborhood layout and have some ideas of where we might consider buying. I'm curious as to the pricing in some of the areas that are considered "desirable" areas with homes built in 1990s. For example, Woods of Brushy Creek, Cat Hollow, Fern Bluff, etc. It seems like the pricing spread for these homes in comparable size to some of the slightly newer developments is not very great in comparison to the condition/renovation needs of some of the "older" homes. I'm wondering if there is something particularly desirable about that area that allows sellers to demand more for their homes? Is it the schools or the fact that is Austin rather than RR taxes?

We are also considering looking into building (we are not fixer-up types and want a home that will meet our needs for many years to come). Who are the most reputable builders in the area and the ones to stay away from? Any development suggestions? We will definitely be looking to stay under $300K. What's the general turn time on a new build in the area? Potentially a little lower depending on various factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:35 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
I think the reason that no one has replied yet is because there really isn't one or two particular things. I live in NW Round Rock on the edge of Cedar Park and there is a home a few houses down from me for $165K and another one a block over for $275K. All things like taxes, schools, HOA, etc. are the same. The differences are lot size, proximity to major traffic roads, house size, yard, upgrades, etc. I think it really depends on the home itself. All the neighborhoods that you mentioned are pretty similar in my opinion so it really comes down to the actual house. Since you're renting first, you'll have a lot of time to drive around. I've noticed quite a few really good deals in the past few weeks all over West Round Rock.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM

16 posts, read 29,846 times
Thanks for the response. That does make sense as from our rental search I have recognized the vast differences in lot sizes and other key factors too. We plan to take a year to check out the area and decide where we really want to be.

Any insight on my questions about builders would also be appreciated.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Along the question of price, it's mostly land costs. Land costs are higher the closer to Austin you are. It's more "desirable" per se. The further north you go, the less expensive land becomes, the less the overall homes costs. Also, you'll tend to get lower-end builders the further north you go as well, whereas the "bells and whistles" builders stay closer in... though there are exceptions to the builder rule, of course.

The same logic applies as to why houses are less expensive in Cedar Park than Round Rock...

Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Along the question of price, it's mostly land costs. Land costs are higher the closer to Austin you are. It's more "desirable" per se. The further north you go, the less expensive land becomes, the less the overall homes costs. Also, you'll tend to get lower-end builders the further north you go as well, whereas the "bells and whistles" builders stay closer in... though there are exceptions to the builder rule, of course.
Well, in other areas this might normally be true, but when you're dealing with Round Rock, it really isn't in my opinion. There are generally more "luxury" (luxury being used lightly) homes in North Round Rock because it was built out later when Round Rock started to become more desirable. I wasn't here yet, but my best guess is that people didn't want to live way out in Round Rock in the mid-90's when places closer to Austin in SW Round Rock like Cat Hollow were being built. The newer neighborhoods that were built out after 2004 were built with more updated amenities and most with quality builders. (Mayfield Ranch, Sendero Springs, Teravista). Places like Forest Creek on the East side of Round Rock has a luxury presence because of Dell and was pushed out in East Round Rock for the same reason. The more central areas of Round Rock were built out in the 90's with mid-level middle class homes before Round Rock really exploded with transplants. That moved the homes that were a step up further out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The same logic applies as to why houses are less expensive in Cedar Park than Round Rock...
I'm curious where this information was obtained? I have seen the exact opposite. I've found that homes are generally more expensive in Cedar Park as they (mostly) feed into better schools on a whole in Cedar Park with LISD. And even though an area like Ranch at Brushy Creek shows up in the Round Rock region on the MLS, I'm pretty sure that all the homes are in the city of Cedar Park.

According to City-Data:
Cedar Park
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $182,492 (it was $126,600 in 2000)

Round Rock
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $169,800 (it was $119,200 in 2000)

Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebomania View Post

Any insight on my questions about builders would also be appreciated.
Just from the research that I've done, I stay away from KB and Centex built homes. Some Lennar homes can be iffy as well and DR Horton homes are just built weird and are unappealing to me. I've heard other people say the same thing about DR Horton as well. You'll be able to tell once you start looking at the homes, but KB definitely has a bad reputation around here.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Well, in other areas this might normally be true, but when you're dealing with Round Rock, it really isn't in my opinion. There are generally more "luxury" (luxury being used lightly) homes in North Round Rock because it was built out later when Round Rock started to become more desirable. I wasn't here yet, but my best guess is that people didn't want to live way out in Round Rock in the mid-90's when places closer to Austin in SW Round Rock like Cat Hollow were being built. The newer neighborhoods that were built out after 2004 were built with more updated amenities and most with quality builders. (Mayfield Ranch, Sendero Springs, Teravista). Places like Forest Creek on the East side of Round Rock has a luxury presence because of Dell and was pushed out in East Round Rock for the same reason. The more central areas of Round Rock were built out in the 90's with mid-level middle class homes before Round Rock really exploded with transplants. That moved the homes that were a step up further out.

I'm curious where this information was obtained? I have seen the exact opposite. I've found that homes are generally more expensive in Cedar Park as they (mostly) feed into better schools on a whole in Cedar Park with LISD. And even though an area like Ranch at Brushy Creek shows up in the Round Rock region on the MLS, I'm pretty sure that all the homes are in the city of Cedar Park.

According to City-Data:
Cedar Park
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $182,492 (it was $126,600 in 2000)

Round Rock
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $169,800 (it was $119,200 in 2000)
I'm wondering the same, too, Mark. The exact same house we built last year in Cedar Park was about $50,000 less in Round Rock. Currently it is $29,000 less. I know the land value difference between the two locations is about $10,000.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Round Rock was built before Cedar Park, for the most part. Once the builders starting figuring out people were willing to drive further, the prices started going up. With that, Cedar Park has less lower priced starter homes. Round Rock still has an area of lower priced starter homes. That's what brings down the median prices, but if you calculate "average" prices, you'll see Round Rock is considerably higher.

Also, as you go north of 1431/Whitestone, you see a dramatic drop in prices of homes $sqft in Cedar Park vs south of 1431, though the Round Rock properties north of 1431 are still hedging towards the higher end.

Also, because there are lower priced homes in the Central and southern areas of Round Rock, those are also significantly smaller homes like 1300, 1500 sqft compared to what they're building now, well over 3000 sqft as you go north. Dollar per sqft in south Round Rock, on the Austin border, would surprise most people, but again, it's the land. So, the prices are lower, but for significantly smaller and older homes.

Does that help clarify things?

Here's another example, I have buyers looking for a house under $150k with a few general parameters. Not a single house in Round Rock West of I35 comes up in the search, but a large amount East of 35, and then the rest of the homes are in Cedar Park. That tells a story right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin