Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 PM

20 posts, read 53,761 times

Advertisements

I am 40 year old professional, that runs a small tech company looking to possibly relocate. A few questions:

- is Austin a good place to meet new people? Not necessarily a wife or spouse but that would be ok too
- is Austin a good place for running/trail running, kayaking, cycling- I know lance lives therE.
- Are their cool places to live in town. I like loft space downtown perhaps.
- What is the weather like?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applenick View Post
I am 40 year old professional, that runs a small tech company looking to possibly relocate. A few questions:

- is Austin a good place to meet new people? Not necessarily a wife or spouse but that would be ok too
- is Austin a good place for running/trail running, kayaking, cycling- I know lance lives therE.
- Are their cool places to live in town. I like loft space downtown perhaps.
- What is the weather like?

Any help is appreciated.
Surprised no one has answered this.

I think your #1 depends more on you than anything. People here are friendly. I am older than you and married but I know enough friendly, active, single people in your age that I think you would do well socializing.

Austin is a terrific place for almost any outdoor activity that doesn't need snow. Cyclists and runners all over. Kayaking and now stand up paddle surfing are big on Lady Bird Lake. Lots of water sports.

Cool places to live - sure. Depends on your budget.

The weather is warm to hot. We are having normal summer temps now - mid-90s. A few sub-freezing days a year, usually in January.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 AM

21 posts, read 35,048 times
Well hoffdano answered these questions quite accurately, so not much I can add to the latter questions. However I would disagree with the notion that there are "enough" single people ... I moved here while in my late 30s and found it quite difficult to meet anyone who I would consider a relationship with. Austin is a college town, so there's lots of opportunity for the younger generation. If you were say 10 - 15 years younger I'd say get here, and quick! At our age though, it is more difficult. Sure, there is some availability and hoffdano has justification for his statement, but be prepared for the scene to not be that much better (in our age range) than anywhere else really.

The OP did state however that meeting a spouse wasn't a "necessarily" necessary thing though, and with that in mind, there are tons of folk that you could meet and be friends with down here; most of it would depend on your hobbies and whatever you're into, Austin has it.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or1 View Post
Well hoffdano answered these questions quite accurately, so not much I can add to the latter questions. However I would disagree with the notion that there are "enough" single people ... I moved here while in my late 30s and found it quite difficult to meet anyone who I would consider a relationship with. Austin is a college town, so there's lots of opportunity for the younger generation. If you were say 10 - 15 years younger I'd say get here, and quick! At our age though, it is more difficult. Sure, there is some availability and hoffdano has justification for his statement, but be prepared for the scene to not be that much better (in our age range) than anywhere else really.

The OP did state however that meeting a spouse wasn't a "necessarily" necessary thing though, and with that in mind, there are tons of folk that you could meet and be friends with down here; most of it would depend on your hobbies and whatever you're into, Austin has it.
I'm not really part of the meet and greet crowd - so I have limited credibility on that topic. It just seems like I know a fair number of people in the 40-50 age range that are divorced and socially active. I really don't know where they hang out - except they do "stuff" - like outdoor activities (for example triathlons), parties (through their network of friends, married or otherwise).

Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 35,048 times
Yeah I've been out of the market since March 2009 myself so I'm not current either. However I know what it was like prior to that and it didn't paint a good picture. Heck, I ended up marrying a woman from a different city and brought her to Austin!

As it stands these days, I know several divorcees in this rough age range too, but overwhelmingly these folk are coming off marriages that didn't go so well. Therefore they aren't too interested in long-term relationships or anything resembling that. Instead, they seem to prefer spending their time doing whatever they're into - hiking, biking, whatever. And that's a great choice, I can certainly understand it. :-)

The point I'm attempting to make really is that Austin isn't all that much better of a "single life" city than anywhere else, and in some cases worse. This assumes that by "single life" one is referring to the dating scene. If OTOH "single life" were to mean "activities", then Austin has to be in the top 10 for sure!

Hope this helps the OP.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applenick View Post
Honestly, the "dating scene" for this age range in Austin is almost entirely online at sites like match.com, so if you create an account on one of these sites with an Austin zipcode, you can get an idea of what it will be like when you are here.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM

322 posts, read 846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Honestly, the "dating scene" for this age range in Austin is almost entirely online at sites like match.com, so if you create an account on one of these sites with an Austin zipcode, you can get an idea of what it will be like when you are here.
I think it depends on what you are interested in. There are plenty of mature women (and men) that go dancing at the Horseshoe, meet up for kayaking, participate in wine tastings, go to gallery openings, go see live music and hang out at places like Dog and Duck. It depends on your "crowd". Mine (premarriage) had a LOT of 40ish folks who dated and had a great time.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 48,090 times
If you're a Christian and go to Church, yes. If you are not, no.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 PM

322 posts, read 846,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unzipper View Post
What? This is a biased and ridiculous statement. There are plenty of unChristian singles over 30 hanging around, looking for friends.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unzipper View Post
Hardly, I am 44, have lived in Austin for 9 years and have never had to go to church to get laid! If you are unattractive, maybe, but otherwise this is a pretty good casual sex town! Excellent tequila everywhere at reasonable prices probably helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin