Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM

732 posts, read 2,119,170 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't even know what it means for a city to have good shopping, but I see it as a criteria in many posts. I rarely buy anything in brick and mortar stores because I like to take the time to research and compare specifications and prices online.

Does Austin have good shopping?
What does it mean to have good shopping?
What is an example of a city or area that does have good shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,256,025 times
If you are coming from Waco, San Angelo, or Lufkin, then I guess Austin has good shopping! An example of a city with great shopping? In a word, DALLAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Honestly, I don't even know what it means for a city to have good shopping, but I see it as a criteria in many posts. I rarely buy anything in brick and mortar stores because I like to take the time to research and compare specifications and prices online.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:57 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,029,037 times
I often wonder what people mean when they ask about shopping. Do they want a gigantic mall? Nifty cool home grown stores with bohemian merchandise? Lots of outlet stores? Or high-end fashion with luxury goods?

When I lived in Houston I used to be amazed by the Galleria area. Although I rarely bought anything at Nieman Marcus it was kinda fun to walk through it.

I no longer enjoy shopping. I can't think of many worse things to do than walk around stores (of any type) thinking about what to spend my money on.

Haven't lived here since 1984 I think Austin shopping has evolved much like it has elsewhere. Fewer general purpose malls, a push for "local" retail, many big box stores, and concentrations of high end retail, some new.

If you want a $1000 purse, it won't be hard to find at The Domain or other luxury stores. If you want western wear or boots, you can find that at Allens Boots or Callahan General Store. If you want to buy/order LP records, you can do that at Waterloo Records. If you need an obscure piece of produce, Central Market probably has it. We have very good wine/liquor/beer stores (Specs and Twin Liquors). Mid-luxury clothing? Nordstrom. High end kitchen stuff - Breed and Co. (local) or a Williams Sonoma. Wanna buy an Aston Martin? We have Austin Aston Martin.

Austin doesn't have as much as Dallas or Houston. But we are 1/4 or 1/5 of their size so no one should expect Austin to have the same shopping as those two cities.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM

634 posts, read 1,443,407 times
In my view, if one has access to the internet, they have "good shopping".

Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,804,583 times
We have a Fry's, but just one. Same with Ikea. A couple each of Apple Stores and REIs, and a bunch of local stuff. That's pretty much all I care about.

However, there is all the typical mall stuff (indoor and outdoor), and big box that you'd find in most cities.

Dallas and Houston will have much more, but shopping is a much bigger pastime in those cities. I guess it's considered entertainment for them.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,029,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
In my view, if one has access to the internet, they have "good shopping".
I think I buy more through Amazon than I do in B&M stores. This would be true no matter where I lived.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,031,321 times
I've always kind of wondered what it meant to. Typically, I don't like to shop, but I do LOVE Coscto (so as long as there is one in town, that's good shopping as far as I'm concerned. Wait, we don't have a Trader Joe's so I guess we are still deficient )

Old 10-13-2010, 04:04 PM

355 posts, read 920,077 times
It's better now than it was 15 years ago, but in general we have far fewer choices than most.

An example some of us have bemoaned on this site before is the lack of a Home Goods (owned by TJ Maxx/Marshall's) which is a great store. We just got the Marshall's a couple years ago.

Plus, we get the smaller versions of everything. Sort of the "ette" versions of the full sized stores other cities have. Like a Nortdstromette. Fewer skus--fewer choices.

I think our outlet malls (San Marcoes & RR) are actually better than most.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM

355 posts, read 920,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
It's better now than it was 15 years ago, but in general we have far fewer choices than most.

An example some of us have bemoaned on this site before is the lack of a Home Goods (owned by TJ Maxx/Marshall's) which is a great store. We just got the Marshall's a couple years ago.

Plus, we get the smaller versions of everything. Sort of the "ette" versions of the full sized stores other cities have. Like a Nortdstromette. Fewer skus--fewer choices.

I think our outlet malls (San Marcoes & RR) are actually better than most.
Update: We're getting a Home Goods in Sunset Valley on Oct. 24!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM

187 posts, read 466,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post

Does Austin have good shopping? Yes & No, as a city overall I'd say no but certain areas of town do ... for now.

What does it mean to have good shopping? To me, at number one on the list: that means easy access in & out, even during high traffic times. The stores must maintain a decent level of inventory on hand. The sales assistants must be polite, courteous, knowledgeable about the product(s) they're trying to get me to buy, & treat me like I'm their only customer of the day. The stores & surrounding area outside of the store should be neat & clean & not too cluttered (unless going to a resale shop!). I also think that similar stores should be grouped together. Why would I want to traipse from one end of the shopping center (mall, or whatever) just to compare prices ... makes me tired & cranky & want to leave!

What is an example of a city or area that does have good shopping? I've been somewhat impressed by the Southpark Meadows center, but traffic is getting worse the more popular it becomes. The outlet malls in San Marcos & RR are over crowded & over hyped.

I too mainly shop online, but theare are somethings that I want/need that I just don't want to wait for & so will brave the crowded stores! LOL!

Does this adequately answer your questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin