Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Advertisements

That area is a sanctuary for illegal aliens.
You may be in with a lot of section 8 housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM

629 posts, read 1,649,577 times
I'd recommend NOT looking at Craigslist for apartments.

Just use Padmapper or a similar site to find the names of complexes, then google the name and find the apartment's website. They usually have updated pricing and availability listed (at least for the nicer apts).

Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,520,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Hi Melissa, thanks for responding. here is where I pulled the ads from:

Low $$$ ~ Great Pool ~ Best Prices In North Austin $$$$ (http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2010544856.html - broken link)

Here's another for a 1br for $400!, it says the apt is located in Duval near 1-35
Amazing deal in Central Austin (http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2010489632.html - broken link)

Are you familiar with the duval area?? I'm guessing that most of the apartments that are listed for this much are around this Duval, 1-35 region. I'm wondering if this north central area is close to the East side of Austin
If it sounds too good to be true, it is. With apartment complexes, you truly get what you pay for. If you see a 1 bedroom apartment for $400, it's in a run-down complex in a sketchy area.

The area around Highland Mall is very dicey. There are some neighborhoods in that area that are very nice (Skyview, for example) and other areas that are very rough. I personally would avoid any apartment complex in that part of town. Most of them are run-down and crime magnets.

Someone else here mentioned that you shouldn't use Craig's List to find apartments, and I couldn't agree more. Having worked briefly in the apartment industry, I know all the tricks of the trade that leasing agents run to make bad apartments look good.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 PM

355 posts, read 1,229,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Illegal aliens??????NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! that would be my worst nightmare!!! UGH, no wonder they are so cheap, no one wants to move there....EEK! And I would HATE to be around others who are on section 8, not to say that all the people on section 8 or bad, but from experience, moving into a complex with those on section 8 is a REALLY bad thing. Moderator cut: see comment Southwest austin is pretty safe, but I still see the gawks when I walk down the street with my laptop briefcase, and almost got robbed when I was walking down Manchaca street. Thank goodness I come from a crime infested town and I am very street smart, but I don't want to live around illegal aliens....NO WAY

Last edited by Bo; 10-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Illegal immigration is off-topic in local forums. I removed the 1 sentence offering your opinion on that topic.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it is. With apartment complexes, you truly get what you pay for. If you see a 1 bedroom apartment for $400, it's in a run-down complex in a sketchy area.

The area around Highland Mall is very dicey. There are some neighborhoods in that area that are very nice (Skyview, for example) and other areas that are very rough. I personally would avoid any apartment complex in that part of town. Most of them are run-down and crime magnets.

Someone else here mentioned that you shouldn't use Craig's List to find apartments, and I couldn't agree more. Having worked briefly in the apartment industry, I know all the tricks of the trade that leasing agents run to make bad apartments look good.
Yeah, your right. The apartment locators I talked to over email messages claimed that these properties he was showing me are located near UT on the southeast or northeast region. I doubt that the apartments he showed me is near Skyview. The thing about apt managers is that they are so scared they will not receive their commission bonus is that they don't reveal too much about the apartment complex until you meet them for a showing. One apartment locater even offered to drive me to an apartment to show me it....I was like...um, no thanks I have my own car and I don't know you like that lol

The problem with apt locators is that they often work for slumlords who need help finding tenants because their apartments are so deplorable!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Quote:
Illegal aliens??????NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! that would be my worst nightmare!!! UGH, no wonder they are so cheap, no one wants to move there....EEK! And I would HATE to be around others who are on section 8, not to say that all the people on section 8 or bad, but from experience, moving into a complex with those on section 8 is a REALLY bad thing. Moderator cut: see comment Southwest austin is pretty safe, but I still see the gawks when I walk down the street with my laptop briefcase, and almost got robbed when I was walking down Manchaca street. Thank goodness I come from a crime infested town and I am very street smart, but I don't want to live around illegal aliens....NO WAY
You're entitled to discuss your opinion about who you do or don't want to live near, but I want to warn the thread not to pursue ANY aspects of the tangent of illegal immigration. The topic of illegal immigration is off-topic in ALL local forums at City-Data.

Let's try harder to focus on answering the OP's questions, rather than using the topic as an excuse to post politically-charged opinions about parts of town.

Last edited by Bo; 10-18-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM

732 posts, read 2,122,590 times
You seem like someone who would like NW Austin near Cedar Park. I moved there recently from south Austin near Slaughter and Manchaca. I prefer it so much more in NW Austin.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,520,645 times
Quote:
Yeah, your right. The apartment locators I talked to over email messages claimed that these properties he was showing me are located near UT on the southeast or northeast region. I doubt that the apartments he showed me is near Skyview. The thing about apt managers is that they are so scared they will not receive their commission bonus is that they don't reveal too much about the apartment complex until you meet them for a showing. One apartment locater even offered to drive me to an apartment to show me it....I was like...um, no thanks I have my own car and I don't know you like that lol

The problem with apt locators is that they often work for slumlords who need help finding tenants because their apartments are so deplorable!
What's your budget, anyway? If you're on a low budget, you could get a roommate and then rent a house. Not that houses are always better than apartment complexes, but given the choice between a house and apartment, I would rent a house any day.

As a general rule of thumb, neighborhoods with more home owners and single family homes tend to be safer and less run-down than neighborhoods that are full of apartment complexes and renters.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
What's your budget, anyway? If you're on a low budget, you could get a roommate and then rent a house. Not that houses are always better than apartment complexes, but given the choice between a house and apartment, I would rent a house any day.

As a general rule of thumb, neighborhoods with more home owners and single family homes tend to be safer and less run-down than neighborhoods that are full of apartment complexes and renters.
well now that I am currently self employed writer and Internet marketer, my budget is anything under $700/month (it would be higher but I am planning on going back to school to UT for computer science, so I need the money for school).

I thought about renting out a house or a large condo and sharing it with other college students, but i don't know. I also looked into co-op housing but a lot of them looked run down, but they seem easier to get in because its 'all bills paid'. They are reasonably priced (most being under $500/month and you only have to share with one other person). I'm just confused right now and I am also running out of time.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,838,912 times
Well, if you are planning to go to UT.. I'd suggest checking out the Far West area (UT Shuttle Route). Sure, it's not the most diverse area... and there are students (but not nearly as loud as the closer-to-campus neighborhoods). But it is very safe. There is not an unsafe square foot anywhere in 78731, IMO. Also city bus access and lots within walking and easy driving distance. Some of the older or non-updated apartments or condos will definitely fall in your price range.

Also might look at the northern part of the IF Shuttle route (southern part will be too many students I think). More expensive than Far West, but there are some much older places that might fall in your range. They would not be great though, you'd definitely be paying for location.

Best of luck with UT, too. It's a great program (CS). I know lots of UTCS grads and they are all employed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin