Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,810 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to be moving to the Austin area and would like some information about the area. So far I from what I'm seeing, the towns that look interesting are Jollyville, Cedar Park and Barton Creek (although it seems very expensive) the "hills" area also seems nice. Schools are important and want to be close to nice shopping/restaurant area plus a nice gym and supermarket. Any help is appreciated!! We are very excited!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
If I were you I'd get a good real estate agent. Also, one thing I discovered embarrassingly late was the search function on the forums. You might want to type in Jollyville, or whatever it is you're looking for, to see if you can glean some information. Sometimes it helps when you need some questions answered right away.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 PM

21 posts, read 44,519 times
Cedar Park is a very nice area not far from the city of Austin. LISD schools are excellent and you can find most everything you need here, and, if not, there is plenty of good shopping all around us. Several very nice parks and access to the lakes makes this a fine recrestion area, as well. Hope you find what you are seeking.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
As per the advice I usually give people who are moving to an area they're not familiar with.... rent first. It makes zero sense to buy without knowing an area and besides, you might find areas that you like better and are more affordable once you've rented in an area long enough.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info! Yes... we plan on getting together with a realtor and will most likely rent for a short while in order to get familiar with the area. I hear such great things!! Can't wait

Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Yes, definitely rent first. The areas of Austin and the surrounding towns are so different, and in ways that you really won't feel until you live here a while. We're in Cedar Park (on Brushy Creek Road, where the murder just happened - not common!) and we love it!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Bimbi View Post
Thanks for the info! Yes... we plan on getting together with a realtor and will most likely rent for a short while in order to get familiar with the area. I hear such great things!! Can't wait
If you'd like a referral for a good Realtor, let me know. I own some property in Austin and she's been extremely helpful!

Elke

Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM

370 posts, read 999,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Yes, definitely rent first. The areas of Austin and the surrounding towns are so different, and in ways that you really won't feel until you live here a while. We're in Cedar Park (on Brushy Creek Road, where the murder just happened - not common!) and we love it!
When I first moved here, I grabbed an apartment right on Parmer and Brushy Creek.

Dug the area, and wound up buying a house one block over.

Easy drive to Downtown, yet nice and quiet and safe here.

Todays incident very odd for this area.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
First, welcome to Austin!

Next, what is your price range?

Third, what appeals to you about those particular areas? (That way, if there's yet a fourth area that fits the bill that you haven't run across as yet in your investigations, we can let you know about it.)

Fourth, will you have a commute, and, if so, where to, and how long a commute is acceptable to you?

I know, questions, not answers, but the answers you give to those questions will help us give you better answers to yours!

And renting before buying is something quite a few of my clients have been doing, either because they have a house to sell before they can buy or because they want to acquaint themselves with the area before making a relatively permanent decision about where to buy, or some combination of the two. It's not a bad strategy, really. You can use the same agent for both leasing and purchasing, in many cases (not all agents are signed up for the lease portion of the MLS), which means that when it's time to purchase there will already be someone who is familiar with your likes and dislikes and has been through the process with you for a rental and that will shorten the purchase home finding process.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
A murder!! oh no It guess it happens.

Thanks Texashorselady!!! We may be looking at $250k-$350K. I know the taxes are much higher in TX so that plays a big part. We have 3 teenage kids, so schools are really important. From what I'm hearing the Cedar Park area sounds nice. I also hear the "hill" country is nice. It all depends how long a the commute will be. I'm not sure where the company is located but it is south of Austin.

We do have a house to sell but the company will be helping us with that in case we don't sell it by a certain date. There will not be any contingencies when we get ready to buy. Right now we have a 3900 sq. ft. home and we are wanting to downsize, 2500 would be perfect. We do prefer new construction and from what I've see on the internet I like the Highland Homes (tudor style).

Feel free to send me a PM. You too Elke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin