Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times

Advertisements

Tangent here:

This is what will continue to happen as content (channels) and distribution (cable/satellite/telecom) keep butting heads over the terms of carriage.

Part of the problem is that content tries to dictate the price and placement of channels (what package) and holds popular channels as hostage in order to get distributors to add new channels.

Part of the problem (particularly with local channels) is that distributors try to not pay for channels that we can get for free OTA... but that we generally choose to pay our distributor to provide them (for convenience).

Best thing would be a la carte, but neither content or distributor wants that since it would reduce the overall money structure as it exists now for both. However, for most people that watch only a few channels, it may be the most cost effective way to get their content. With faster internet connections and web enabled TVs, you might see this as we get into the Google TV, etc...just be prepared to pay more for the internet connection.

Tangent finished...we know return you to the regularly scheduled forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Tangent here:

This is what will continue to happen as content (channels) and distribution (cable/satellite/telecom) keep butting heads over the terms of carriage.

Part of the problem is that content tries to dictate the price and placement of channels (what package) and holds popular channels as hostage in order to get distributors to add new channels.

Part of the problem (particularly with local channels) is that distributors try to not pay for channels that we can get for free OTA... but that we generally choose to pay our distributor to provide them (for convenience).

Best thing would be a la carte, but neither content or distributor wants that since it would reduce the overall money structure as it exists now for both. However, for most people that watch only a few channels, it may be the most cost effective way to get their content. With faster internet connections and web enabled TVs, you might see this as we get into the Google TV, etc...just be prepared to pay more for the internet connection.

Tangent finished...we know return you to the regularly scheduled forum.
Agreed!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Ooh I'd be pissed!!! Thank goodness Time Warner still has them.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
They should be back now. AT&T and Scripps reached a deal yesterday.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
They should be back now. AT&T and Scripps reached a deal yesterday.
Kinda, sorta...Giada's on right now(Cooking Channel) but it's listed in the guide as 'ION L' for the channel and 'She's Crafty' as the current program. I think we'll be reprogramming for a while to get this squared away.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Glad I stuck with TW!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Kinda, sorta...Giada's on right now(Cooking Channel) but it's listed in the guide as 'ION L' for the channel and 'She's Crafty' as the current program. I think we'll be reprogramming for a while to get this squared away.
Bit of an update...looks like the channels are back in place. Giada is on 452 Food Network and our future recordings appear to be in queue. I feel much better now.

All I need is last night's CSI Miami that got bumped for the Ridiculous Race. Could be worse, I suppose...

Heck, before the discovery of electricity, people had to watch TV by candlelight!

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 11-08-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: invention/discovery...to-may-to/ta-mah-to

Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 PM

307 posts, read 721,640 times
I have AT&T here in Austin, and have several friends in Houston who use it and love it. perhaps you just had bad luck - but the same could probably be said for TWC. don't generalize Uverse based on your single experience

Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM

20 posts, read 42,599 times
wow what area do you live in? Everytime I ask about Uverse it is not offered in my area

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
We have Uverse in 78751 and are very happy with it. Can view recorded programming in any room and can schedule future recordings anywhere with the IPhone app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: