Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 AM

42 posts, read 153,391 times

Advertisements

I think the title says it all, I want out of California looking at these two cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 AM

97 posts, read 264,049 times
I would say Austin, hands down. Smaller--it's grown, but it is still on a human scale. Friendlier--I think in everyone's experience. LOTS of young families. Good schools if you do your homework. Less crime. Tons of family friendly events. Nice mix of government/college/high tech/country culture. Lots of former Californians here! :-)

Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
With the little amount of information that you've given, I'd say the Austin suburbs. However, be aware that it's a long way to California compared to Phoenix. It's definitely much more difficult and expensive to plan trips for family to visit or to go back to California for a visit. It isn't a realistic drive for a visit either (I've done it more times than I should have and it's not fun). Phoenix isn't a bad drive on a 3-day weekend if your family is in Southern California.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
My parents moved to Phoenix/Tempe after I graduated from highschool. I lived there for a year and hated it. Never liked the endless sprawl. The City seems totally artificial and manmade with very few natural areas. I worked as a land surveyor back then, all over the state, but usually back in Tempe for the weekends. It seemed like there was practically nothing to do there until you are old enough to hang out in bars (21). I go back to visit occasionally and am always happy to leave.

Phoenix has also been hit very hard by the real estate crash, it is in for a long slow recovery.

Austin is much prettier and has far more outdoor recreational opportunities with all the lakes, rivers and campgrounds, state and county parks around where they actually have water sports. We have owned one sailboat or another for most of the 33 years we have lived here, kept it on the Gulf of Mexico for 3 years. It is a far better place for families in my opinion. Austin has lots of outdoor arts and music festivals all year round, there is always something fun for families to do.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
This has nothing to do with raising families, but if someone in your family can't live without pro sports, especially baseball, then Phoenix is a good place. It boasts great pro sports complexes as well as Spring Training/Fall Leagues for professional baseball. It would be a good place if your kid aspired to be a college/pro baseball player. But, that's one of the few points where I would put Phoenix ahead of the Austin area and it's pretty specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: