Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,023,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Here's a complete list of what is recyclable (in the City of Austin):

What goes in the recycling cart?
Paper: (newspaper, office paper, junk mail, envelopes, wrapping paper)
Boxboard and cardboard: Corrugated cardboard and boxboard including:
cereal boxes
shoe boxes
most gift boxes
soda/beverage containers
most food packaging containers such as boxes of macaroni and cheese, rice, microwave meals.
Aluminum and metal cans: food cans (labels left on OK), soda cans
Glass: Jars and bottles
Plastic containers: # 1 through # 7, including yogurt and margarine tubs
Does anyone know if this same list applies outside of the COA? I've never been able to get an answer from our garbage company on what can go in our recycling bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,116,977 times
We usually are not able to fill up our recycling containers, except on weeks when I deposite our accumulation of cardboard boxes. I usually wait until I have a big pile of them to cut the packing tape so I can fold them flat.

We still need the larger grey trash can, we produce more trash then most because we use our newspaper in two parrot cages, which then goes in the trash because it is soiled. It is amazing how much two little birds poop. This newspaper bulk in the trash also reduces what we can put in the recycling can.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,679,980 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if this same list applies outside of the COA? I've never been able to get an answer from our garbage company on what can go in our recycling bin.
Probably not....it depends on where you are, but each city contracts for different recycling services (some of which cost quite a bit, relatively speaking) and Austin has one of the most extensive that I have seen.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,023,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Probably not....it depends on where you are, but each city contracts for different recycling services (some of which cost quite a bit, relatively speaking) and Austin has one of the most extensive that I have seen.
I live outside of the city limits and it's a private garbage service so we have just been putting everything that's on the COA list in our bin. They take it everytime but I've always wondered if we were causing more work for them to sort it out.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,129,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Our recycle bin has a sticker on it about what is accepted.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM

102 posts, read 308,456 times
I'm a single person and mine is filled up weekly. I talked to a representative recently and he told me I could request another recycling bin free of charge, all I had to do was call 311.

I haven't requested another bin yet, mostly because I don't have space to store it.

Another possibility is to start a compost pile. I believe you can use shredded newspaper and chopped-up cardboard boxes in compost piles.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,123,736 times
MUD uses a private garbage service, so I've got one big trash can and one little recycling bin. Just me, so most weeks I output a single kitchen-sized bag of trash and that's rarely full. It usually takes me two or more weeks to put enough recycling stuff in the bin to fill it.

My MUD lists everything they accept for recycling, which is almost as broad as COA's. Sadly, they don't do corrugated cardboard, so I'm currently stockpiling boxes for another Ecology Action run.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,038,551 times
Yes, we fill our large blue one every two weeks. I've seen that some people have two in front of their houses on collection day, so I'm pretty sure you can get a second one. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM

648 posts, read 1,966,422 times
Yes, I could fill 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin