Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 205,028 times

Advertisements

Wife and I just moved here from New York, living in one of the Broadstone apartment complexes. The place is great (I highly recommend Broadstone apartment complexes for those looking), but unfortunately 2 weeks ago new tenants moved in downstairs and hooked up a huge sound system. It wouldn't have been a problem if they didn't crank it up so loud I can hear what they're watching over my own TV, and the vibration from the bass caused 2 picture frames to fall off the wall and break.

Twice, I attempted to knock on their door but they ignored me, so I had no choice but to take it up with management. Luckily, Broadstone has a great management team and they immediately took action. However, I think our neighbors have now decided to become petty and last night at 1am they started blasting it again, after a relatively quiet night. Another complaint against them will result in a lease violation for them, and I'm not that person...I would've rather have solved this personally and amicably rather than taking it ot this level.

There's an on-site sheriff that handles complaints at night and if it continues again this evening, I will probably be calling him. The complaints are supposed to be anonymous but I get the feeling that they know we're the ones who made the complaint. Somehow I don't think we are the only ones annoyed by the noise...its so loud you can hear it out in the parking lot, so I'm shocked their next door neighbors haven't complained also.

What would you do? I didn't want it to get this far...we barely know anyone down here, I'd rather make friends than enemies but obviously our neighbors are not mature enough to handle this like adults. I can only imagine that their next step will be vandalism against our cars or apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM

113 posts, read 238,868 times
I was in a similar situation, and coming from a small town didn't want to 'rock' (pardon the pun) the boat but rather have a good rapport with my neighbors. I felt like the bad guy because it just wasn't in my nature, I reluctantly alerted the property management.

They were awesome and reminded me that this is a 'youthful' city and sometimes 1st Time apartment dwellers tend to think they are still living in Mom and Dad's and well that's not just the real world.

In my opinion you're being very flexible there are some communities where such behavior is addressed in hefty fines. I know at my complex the structure was like this.

1st Offense - Warning
2nd Offense - Written Notification of lease violation
3rd Offense - Final warning of eviction
4th Offense - Find a new place to test the limits of your sound system

Maybe some of our Property Manager's can chime in on this! Oh and welcome to the area, hopefully this issue will clear up quickly and you'll enjoy our gem of an area.

Last edited by joedtx; 11-11-2010 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Bad Grammar usage.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 29,581 times
I'm not currently a property manager, but I was for years.

If there's an issue, definitely let management know - that's what they're there for. If you've gone by and tried to resolve it amicably, then they really haven't left you any choice. I really doubt those folks will vandalize your car or property. They probably just need a sterner reminder that they live in a community with two pieces of sheetrock and some insulation between their neighbors, and a written warning from the office usually does the trick.

If you haven't already, you might want to leave them a note on their door, explaining how loud it is in your apartment - it could be that they don't even realize how annoying it is, like joedtx said.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM

247 posts, read 558,663 times
Buy an even louder system!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times
If you rent with Capital Area Property Management in Austin, you are out of luck. Your neighbor can blast away with impunity and you will get no relief. Otherwise, just go back to management. Your neighbors already know they are causing a nuisance and obviously care so little about your well-being that they keep up with the noise. Why should you care about their well being?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,155 times
don't think for a minute these folks that lack consideration are a reflection on the vast, vast majority of people in Texas -- they'd be trouble no matter where they are/go

if it happens again, i'd call austin pd -- ask an officer to make the request not the on-site patrol -- word will get back to the management without having to file any "official" complaint -- the tenants will get a reminder from the management as well -- if they fail to cooperate then, well, it's on them completely

Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Your neighbors already know they are causing a nuisance and obviously care so little about your well-being that they keep up with the noise. Why should you care about their well being?

This is correct.

Why would anybody be hesitant to call out a-hole neighbors like them? If they continue to be a nuisance, then they should get their sorry butts kicked out.

Please pardon the bluntness, but getting older makes it easier to speak one's mind.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
What would you do?
I'd keep complaining, in writing, until the noise stops or the people are removed by management.

What is it with people thinking you have some sort of obligation to "be nice" and not want to be a complainer. The noisemakers signed a lease agreement that includes to agreement that they won't make noise and bother the neighbors. They are out of integrity with that agreement and you should feel no shame or reluctance in holding them accountable.

I think you've followed exactly the right steps but I'd press on and keep documenting every complaint. If the noise doesn't stop, start talking about being moved at the expense of the apartment complex, call the Austin Tenant's Council, and make sure you know your rights and your next move, if necessary. My guess is that the noise will stop.

Steve

Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,470 times
If they're facing eviction and they continue to be inconsiderate, why would you feel bad/guilty? Some people just thrive on drama and will cut off their nose to spite their faces.

I say give 'em the boot!!!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,214 times
FWIW, I don't think that the OP is necessarily worried about being "nice," they are probably more worried about some form of retaliation. Their car may be sitting out all night in a numbered spot that makes it pretty easy to figure out. Being new to the area, they may be reluctant to have somone kicked out on to the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin