Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,510 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to Austin next summer. I have been doing a lot of research on the different areas of Austin and after a recent visit there to look at schools and neighborhoods we have decided that we like the Westlake/West Austin area. My husband will be working at both The Arboretum and Downtown so we feel this area is central to both.

We have 3 small children who will most likely be attending St. Theresa's (with Trinity & St. Gabriel's as our other choices). So school district is not an issue for us. We do however, want a neighborhood that is family-friendly. We want a 'newer' area (less than 10 years old) and not just a new house in an older area. We don't want an area where the houses are really close together (at least 1/2 acre). The areas of Westlake that we have seen we were not impressed with. They were older houses on hilly, curvy streets with no sidewalks that made it feel very non-kid friendly. I want my kids to be able to safely walk or ride thier bikes to their neighbor friends' houses. We want to be close to good shopping and restaurants and not have to drive 20 minutes to get to a grocery store.

Our price range is a little broad at this point until we see how business goes but we are looking at between $600,000-$1,000,000. We had a realtor take us around but we covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time and by the time we narrowed it down to the West Austin area there wasn't enough time to concentrate on specific neighborhoods. Two that did catch our interest are Barton Creek and Westminster Glen. What other ones can you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM

319 posts, read 733,695 times
Wow.... you sound like us! Except we are looking specifically at St. Adrews and St. Gabriels for school choices. Our budget is similar. We have been looking. It really depends on what "feel" and location you are looking for. Close to downtown, older, but great location? Rollingwood. Want more a hill country feel, a little further west, newer, etc...? Barton Creek Hills, Rob Roy (s), Davenport, etc.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,565,581 times
In terms of sidewalks and a neighborhood feel in the Westlake area, I would recommend Rollingwood, and also the neighborhood area between Cedar Creek Elementary and Westlake High School. Both of those areas are within 5 minutes of a grocery store and with the sidewalks and flatter terrain in general, it's easier to bike or walk than it is in most areas of Westlake.

However, those aren't new areas. I think the problem with meeting all of your conditions is that you're asking for very desirable qualities (close in to town, close to grocery store, flat area, sidewalks) and most of those areas close to town were built up some time ago. Lost Creek is close to what you're looking for, but again it's an established neighborhood and the closest grocery store is some distance away (plus there's plenty of traffic in between.)

Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 AM

743 posts, read 1,360,850 times
If you want sidewalks in Westlake and a VERY family friendly feel, you should look at River Oaks or West Rim Estates. However, most homes in West Rim Estates will top 1,000,000. You can get some close to that. You can get a very nice home in River Oaks for 800-900K. I think the lots are a little smaller than a 1/2 acre, though, maybe closer to 1/3 acre, unless you get one on a double lot. If you want a little more space between the homes, look at Westview.

You can get a little more house and land for your dollar if you go to Westminister Glen (outside of Eanes), or Long Canyon.

The problem with all of these is that it is closer to 12-15 minutes to the grocery store. When you get closer to Bee Cave road and all the shopping, the neighborhoods are older. You can get a new home in those old neighborhoods, but it sounds like you don't want that. So you might have to make a trade off with all you have on your wish list.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
I have to agree that there's some internal conflict in your desires - for example, you could find what you're looking for very easily except for the "newer area" aspect. I recommend that you write down in a list all of what you describe above, and prioritize the items and decide which are must haves and which are "it would be nice".

That way, while a good agent will go out of the way to find a home that meets all of your criteria, you'll know (and your agent will know) where your "wiggle room" is if a neighborhood meets all but one of them, say.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:01 AM

44 posts, read 81,603 times
Default Different areas in Austin to live

I have a couple of questions for you and hopefully I can help you find what you are looking for...

Why do you want a newer area? the reason I ask is because most of the areas close to downtown Austin are older areas. They are older quaint areas where some of the houses have been redone but some of the older ones remain. But, they do have wider streets and are spread out rather than so close together AND have a very neighborhood feel.

Most of the newer areas are outside of Austin, like SW Austin or North.

I am a native Austinite and I know the areas very well. And, I grew up in West Austin/Tarrytown - near O. Henry Middle School.

St. Theresa's school is downtown so you don't want to go too far out of Austin or it will take you at least 20-30 minutes to get in/out of Austin - and this includes parts of Westlake since it gets so congested through Bee Caves.

I do think that coming from out of town the best way is to drive around and get a feel for the areas in Austin and each individual neighborhood. Not sure if you had a chance to spend some time doing that besides just the Westlake area, but that is what I would recommend.

Austin is such a great city and I have no doubt that you will find what you need...

Sue

Last edited by suelovesaustin; 11-14-2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Lost Creek is close to what you're looking for, but again it's an established neighborhood and the closest grocery store is some distance away (plus there's plenty of traffic in between.)
Actually Lost Creek is closest to a grocery store out of the whole bunch. The Village at Westlake HEB is less than 1/2 mile from the entrance. It's walking distance, but no one actually walks in that part of town (other than for excercise). I'd agree that LC is closest to what the OP would want in family-friendly (kids running around), close-to-things community (shopping, restaurants) in Westlake... however, the homes are older and many of the lots are less than 1/2 acre. And there is no reason to spend $600K-1M in LC (although you can), when you can get something really nice for $500K. Non-cookie cutter, country club with renovated golf course, and no mandatory HOA, too. But it's definitely older construction.

Places like Barton Creek and Westminster Glen are not going to have kids running around. Those big 1 acre lots have an amazing amount of dinks / singles / 1 child private school types. Not that those places are not family-friendly, but you won't have the density of kids in those neighborhoods that you would in Eanes.

So if you are set on the $600-1M range, I'd suggest Rob Roy or Davenport... but those will still be mostly >10 year old construction.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,777,489 times
You might also consider the Highland Park West/Balcones area, particularly east of Balcones, near Perry Lane. It's worth a look, imo. No sidewalks, but the streets are wide and there are lots of families with young or school-age children. Your children's peers would attend either Highland Park elementary, Casis, or private schools. St. Andrews is a nearby private school for elementary through middle school students. Their campus for upper grades is on Southwest Parkway. There are older homes in HPWB, but many, many homes have been redone and are very desirable. Lots are large, and I believe prices are in the range that you mentioned. With close access to Mopac, it's an easy commute north or south. Quite a bit of shopping nearby as well. You won't travel miles to a grocery store. Not new homes, but the neighborhood feels all the better for it.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,565,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Actually Lost Creek is closest to a grocery store out of the whole bunch. The Village at Westlake HEB is less than 1/2 mile from the entrance. It's walking distance, but no one actually walks in that part of town (other than for excercise). I'd agree that LC is closest to what the OP would want in family-friendly (kids running around), close-to-things community (shopping, restaurants) in Westlake... however, the homes are older and many of the lots are less than 1/2 acre. And there is no reason to spend $600K-1M in LC (although you can), when you can get something really nice for $500K. Non-cookie cutter, country club with renovated golf course, and no mandatory HOA, too. But it's definitely older construction.

Places like Barton Creek and Westminster Glen are not going to have kids running around. Those big 1 acre lots have an amazing amount of dinks / singles / 1 child private school types. Not that those places are not family-friendly, but you won't have the density of kids in those neighborhoods that you would in Eanes.

So if you are set on the $600-1M range, I'd suggest Rob Roy or Davenport... but those will still be mostly >10 year old construction.
It is close... to the entrance... but once you take into account that most homes are not located right on the entrance, plus the traffic that typically backs up both on Lost Creek Blvd and also on 360 in the mornings and afternoons when school gets out and during rush hour, you could be looking at a pretty long wait.

But I agree that if the OP is willing to budge on a few areas, it is very kid friendly and most likely a good fit.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,197,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
You might also consider the Highland Park West/Balcones area, particularly east of Balcones, near Perry Lane. It's worth a look, imo. No sidewalks, but the streets are wide and there are lots of families with young or school-age children. Your children's peers would attend either Highland Park elementary, Casis, or private schools. St. Andrews is a nearby private school for elementary through middle school students. Their campus for upper grades is on Southwest Parkway. There are older homes in HPWB, but many, many homes have been redone and are very desirable. Lots are large, and I believe prices are in the range that you mentioned. With close access to Mopac, it's an easy commute north or south. Quite a bit of shopping nearby as well. You won't travel miles to a grocery store. Not new homes, but the neighborhood feels all the better for it.
This is specifically what the OP said they didn't want:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2b View Post
We want a 'newer' area (less than 10 years old) and not just a new house in an older area.
I immediately thought of that area, as well, but if they must have a newer area, not just a new house, it won't work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin