U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM

3,781 posts, read 5,623,162 times

Advertisements

In my neighborhood corner lots fetch a higher price and the homes on them tend to have more put into them, as far as improvements, compared to non-corner lot homes. I personally don't like them for all of the exposed areas to multiple streets, plus on my block it would put me on a north-south road that gets a decent amount of traffic.

One cool thing about the homes on these corner lots in older neighborhoods of Austin is that many have wrap around porches that really add a bit of old South grandeur to a home front. I think architecturally you can do a lot of great things with that layout.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,031 posts, read 34,493,745 times
More sidewalk to maintain.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:32 PM

589 posts, read 1,639,111 times
Corner lots are more dangerous. Can't believe no one has mentioned that. If you live near the entrance of a subdivision I would re-think a corner lot. I've lived on corner lots and have known people who have lived on corner lots and inevitibly they've had cars in their yard (think drunk neighbors coming home from a party). In fact, I was awoken one night in our last corner lot house and we had a car embedded in the wall of our master bedroom. We just bought a corner lot (The deal worked for us ) and I'm arranging for giant limestone boulders to be put in the front corner with flowers grouped around them as well as a row of limestone boulders along the side yard outside the fence. I'm going to alternate tree, rock, tree, rock. Hope the trees grow fast.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 PM

13,617 posts, read 30,315,525 times
Depends a lot on the lot itself. We are on a quiet street and the corner is really just a 90 degree 'L' in the road. For our case:

Cons:
Edging a ton of sidewalk - until we hired a service.
Sometimes noise from the side street into back yard (but very rare)

Pros:
Usually very private - no neighbor with a porch on that side:
Larger yard - our corner area is our coffee and paper on the weekend area.
Less wood veneer - we have stone almost the entire way around, I think that is typical with corner houses.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 AM

308 posts, read 521,467 times
I lived in both and I like corner lots more.

The only neg is if you don't care for yard work, don't get it.

Privacy? Well.......... with a corner lot you show off your pride in your home.

It is kind of like that sweet, rad vehicle you like to drive and show-off, right? A corner-lot house is the same way, buy of course a investment which in vehicles it is mostly never that way (unless it is a classic vehicle).

I say if you have a corner lot, just make sure you could in time invest into a sprinkler system. Owning a lawnmower that has a drive-train. I feel a home in an investment and the one's that show pride into a neighborhood really opens up when you see corner-lot homes show off the shine in a neighborhood. The one's in the streets are usually the one whom really care crap less about pride of home and yard ownership. So if the corner lot yards / homes look like crap, then most of the neighborhood does also! 1st impression is everything!!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,603,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Increased edging. It drove my husband nuts when we lived on a corner lot. Never again.
EXACTLY my thoughts!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM

2,627 posts, read 5,820,118 times
I agree that the increased edging can be a pain, but when your house is only 20 feet away from the house next to yours, it's nice to have one side that has no neighbors. Normally the neighbor behind you is much further away because you each have a backyard in-between, but the neighbors on the sides are basically right on top of you in most of the newer subdivisions. I like my neighbors, but that could always change if they sell or rent the house. It just lessens the chance of having neighbor problems when you're on a corner lot.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 AM

3,202 posts, read 5,107,996 times
If you're worried about privacy, buy a greenbelt lot instead. Well worth it.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM

6,208 posts, read 16,021,075 times
Corner lots do not in and of themselves infer greater or lesser value to a home. We never have buyers rule in or out a home based on corner lot. The attributes and effects of being situated on a corner lot can be a blessing or a curse depending on other factors though, and many of these factors are no different than things people look at on non-corner lots, such as road noise, view, etc.

For example, a corner culdesac lot buried deep in the back of a residential subdivision might be seen as a positive, but the same house on a same-sized corner lot on a arterial at the front of the neighborhood would in fact experience more traffic and noise and be less desireable, as would the non-corner home next door.

I live on a corner on a low traffic non-through street, so headlights, noise, traffic are of zero concern. I do appreciate being able to sit in the living room and look out the back windows across the back/side of the lot and not see any houses though, because the side road is where houses would normally be if we weren't on a corner. All I see is trees and blue sky. Might as well be living in the country with that view. We also back to a small creek lined with thick, tall trees, so we don't see houses in that direction either.

But I grew up in the front corner bedroom of a corner lot house as a kid, on a busy street, and remember always having headlights shine across my walls at nights and hearing lots of traffic noise. Also, neighborhood kids constantly cut through our front yard walking to and from school (back in the days when every kids wasn't driven in a car), creating a worn trail in the yard. I wouldn't buy a house like that. The house was also ran through by a drunk driver once, and another time someone crashed into the fire hydrant in front.

So far this year in Austin, 1,300 homes have sold that have "Corner Lot" listed in the lot description, and 14K have sold as not corner lot. So, about 9% of homes sold have corner lots. For both categories, the sold price per square foot of all combined sales is exactly the same at $113 per sqft, and the days on market are almost exactly the same also. So I don't think there is any inherent value discount or plus based solely on a house being on a corner, it's really other things that matter more.

Steve

Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM

13,617 posts, read 30,315,525 times
TCAD had our lot valued higher, not directly because it was a corner lot, but because the corner lots had a much higher percent stone veneer. We did a much smaller analysis on the local area to show that corner/non-corner (e.g. subject to same HOA veneer requirements) did not correlate to higher (or lower) prices. The reason we had to do it was because the veneer percent added $30k to the value of our home! Pffft!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin