Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

Awhile back the Statesman ran a story about the city considering paying much more for a downtown property than the TCAD assessment. I was hoping it was an isolated case and that most property owners, whether business or residential, were paying something close to a market value rate. Just happened to bring up 1900 E. Cesar Chavez on TCAD cause I say an ad for that property. The ad lists the property for sale at $995K which may be a bit optimistic.......but TCAD is still nowhere near it coming in at $146k. There is no way that the land value could be that low given the number of vehicles that pass by there every day and also due to the current commercial zoning. The tire shop there actually does a pretty brisk business. That land value at $97k, given the square feet, is what a residential lot in that area normally would be. So what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Awhile back the Statesman ran a story about the city considering paying much more for a downtown property than the TCAD assessment. I was hoping it was an isolated case and that most property owners, whether business or residential, were paying something close to a market value rate. Just happened to bring up 1900 E. Cesar Chavez on TCAD cause I say an ad for that property. The ad lists the property for sale at $995K which may be a bit optimistic.......but TCAD is still nowhere near it coming in at $146k. There is no way that the land value could be that low given the number of vehicles that pass by there every day and also due to the current commercial zoning. The tire shop there actually does a pretty brisk business. That land value at $97k, given the square feet, is what a residential lot in that area normally would be. So what gives?
Sounds like TCAD is simply way off. Their appraisal is way off market value on this particular parcel.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Chronic corruption in the appraisal district that benefits corporate and business landowners. Basically at some point the City determined that if property was appraised at its actual value that it would hurt business development. So basically there are two tax rates one for you or I with our ridiculous property tax on our home and another tax rate for friends of City hall, corporations, businesses, and people with expensive mansions. Its Texas politics at its worst and keeps businesses and the rich happy and ensures that the debate about sky high property tax doesnt happen. Believe me if corporations and the rich paid the same rate of property tax as you or I there would be changes to the tax system in Texas immediately.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Wow the story just keeps getting worse:

Downtown Austin properties undervalued, appraiser says

Amazing that every time there is a big discrepancy in values of commercial real estate the landowner is always the beneficiary. TCAD is in bed with a very small, but rich segment of the population and the end result is that the rest of us with residential real estate get shafted by having to make up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: