Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, that is the site. Just keep going year by year, often a permit is applied for 6-12 months before the work is done. You can also call the "one stop development shop" and talk to someone, be super friendly and they can usually help.

You could also hire a land consultant, they are not expensive, will often do preliminary work or research for free or for a low set cost. The city databases are huge and like many huge data sets, have their quirks when it comes to searching. Another tact would be to make any contract contingent on "proof of permitting." Many many renovations are done without permitting, the owner should have to disclose it (lack of permits) at the time of sale.
Thanks so much! I wonder if the OP has any other unpermitted renos, besides the pool. Might be worth it to them to look on the link you provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,249 times
Wow, what a nightmare. Imagine if they want you to move it a few feet off an easement or setback from a property line.

FYI: I had an 12,000 gal pool removed a couple of years ago for around $6K.

I hope this works out for you without too much more aggravation or expense than you have already experienced.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Makes you wonder if it really is your property or just renting it, doesn't it.
We no longer have property rights. We are given permission by the master.
Ain't gubmint wonderful?

As for shoddy work done by the previous owner, what about the shoddy inspection that was done at the time it was purchased in 2007? I'd have a word with that inspector.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Inspectors do not search for permitting problems! But the owner should have disclosed that the pool was not permitted (but many many folks do not disclose permitting issues and in 2007 it was an entirely different real estate market).

Old 11-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Inspectors do not search for permitting problems! But the owner should have disclosed that the pool was not permitted (but many many folks do not disclose permitting issues and in 2007 it was an entirely different real estate market).
That's not what I said. Maybe the inspector could've caught the shoddy plumbing job.

That's what they are paid to do.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
ah, sorry for the mix-up! Perhaps the inspector should have caught it, difficult to know without more information. Lots of DIY disasters out there!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Of course a lot of shoddy work is hidden behind walls, floors, & ceilings where they can't be seen, whether it's DIY or certified homebuilder (large & small) work.

Inspectors can't catch 'em all.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I'm probably not correct in my thinking regarding this, but I did not get a permit for my deck and arbor. I did hire a good reputable company to do the work, but that's here and there. I've had work done inside my home that wasn't permitted either. Inherently I bristle at having to ask for permission to work on my own home, and on my own land. I'm not convinced city permitting folks will spot a bad job from a bad contractor. I also think it's just a way for TCAD to make money off me.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
My bigger concern would be with my insurance company. If you have items that have not been properly permitted, you damn well better believe your insurance company is not going to cover anything that may happen with them. It may be one thing if you truly did not know, but if you have done work yourself (such as riaelise) that you did not get proper permitting for, you may learn the hard way when your house floods or there's a fire.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:10 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
My bigger concern would be with my insurance company. If you have items that have not been properly permitted, you damn well better believe your insurance company is not going to cover anything that may happen with them. It may be one thing if you truly did not know, but if you have done work yourself (such as riaelise) that you did not get proper permitting for, you may learn the hard way when your house floods or there's a fire.
Thanks for the call-out.

I'm not alone in what I've done (obviously)...and I never said that it was right, wrong, or whatever. Does it really matter if you knew you needed a permit or didn't know? The result is the same. Que sera sera. People do DIY stuff all of the time, sans permits, and not all of the results are people tumbling to the earth or things going up in smoke.

ETA: As for the insurance company... heh, by the time they apply the deductible, they aren't gonna pay for the deck anyway...or if they do, it would be beans. They try to find every which way to weasel out of replacing your stuff.

Last edited by riaelise; 11-26-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin