Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! Austin has as much respect for their 4 legged friends as their big trucks and SUV's!! WOOF WOOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
I have always been interested in Austin, even though I have never been there. I'm considering moving there in the next few years but one of my biggest concerns is how dog friendly Austin is...

I have a little hound mix that loves outdoors, playing with other canine pals at dog parks, and just being active. We currently live in PA, before that, CT, and I'm starting to get annoyed (already) with the cold weather and how it's "cramping our style" .

I'd love to move somewhere eventually where the warmer months outweigh the colder ones. I also have a french bulldog, but they aren't really active to begin with, so he's not much of a concern when it comes to that sort of stuff. It was 35 degrees today and windy, and it's only the beginning of December!

After looking at pictures of Austin in the pinned thread, I saw so many beautiful nature shots, scenes where I could totally picture my girl and I walking/hiking and having a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Well, I can't research what google happened to say about the weather last night when I posted.

I can tell you that as of right now, google lists the temperature for the 78660 zip code as 46 degrees. Weather underground says it's 49.6 degrees. The weather channel says it's 46 degrees but feels like 44 degrees. Findweather.com lists the temperature at 50 degrees. Accuweather.com says that it is 46 degres but feels like it is 54 degrees. So it looks like having an almost 10 degree difference in temperature from sources is not uncommon.

I don't know how to include screen shots of all these sources, so you can either take me at my word or not. I don't really care either way. I can't PROVE that I didn't exaggerate, but I still don't feel the need to "own up" to any mistake. Knowing that different sources will sometimes have a 10 degree difference, perhaps you could forgive me for not putting up screenshots. You said yourself that you would not have chastized me if I had said the weather was 35 degrees (I said it was 26, less than the 10 degree difference we have established often occurs). Since the OP specifically said 35 was too cold, and you agree it was at least 35 degrees, I am not sure why you are hammering me. It would seem like I was providing salient information.

I happen to like cold weather, so yes, I would agree it's good dog walking weather.

In the future I will do my best to source information in screen shots so that you don't have to take time out of your day to chastise me for exaggeration. I don't personally trust the Weather underground website, but since you listed that as the end all be all final word on weather, I will aquiese so I don't have to have silly arguments with you in the future. I would ask you why Weather Underground is a more reliable source then say the weather channel, but I don't really want to get into it with you. I don't have a dog in this fight, I honestly don't care one way or the other. I feel like I answered the OP's question, which is really the only thing we should be concerned with.

Sorry if I sound combatitive. I just don't understand why everyone is splitting hairs with me over this subject. It's not even what the OP was asking, and the temperature wasn't the main point of my response to the OP. I feel like I am getting jumped on for making, what I feel, is a reasonable statement. I even did my due dilligence and said that cold weather is unusual and often brief.

And everyone splitting hairs with me is starting out their attacks with "even though I don't know the OP at all, this is what I feel she MUST have meant". How arrogant.

EDIT

Just saw this in another thread posted just today.

Seems I was not the only one who felt it was in the high 20's. LOOK OUT ROOCELESTE!! Atxico is gonna come after you!!! He wants people to own up to their exaggerations!!! I wonder is someone else believing it was in the 20s is enough to get me that apology that Atxico promised? What did you say Atxico? Something like "it would be nice to see someone own up to a mistake or exaggeration every now and then, but it's not really important."
Oh well - if someone wants to question me on the fact that I walked outside at 5am this morning, looked at the thermometer on the back patio, and saw it read 27 degrees, then have at it! The thermometer is accurate and I can read it. That's all that matters to me. And, the frost all over our yards kinda confirmed it. And no, I don't live "way out in the hill country" - I live on a hill in a minimally developed neighborhood barely inside the Cedar Park city limits, with woods behind me.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Oh well - if someone wants to question me on the fact that I walked outside at 5am this morning, looked at the thermometer on the back patio, and saw it read 27 degrees, then have at it! The thermometer is accurate and I can read it. That's all that matters to me. And, the frost all over our yards kinda confirmed it. And no, I don't live "way out in the hill country" - I live on a hill in a minimally developed neighborhood barely inside the Cedar Park city limits, with woods behind me.
I am sorry RooCeleste. We are going to need a dated screen shot of the thermometer in question. Also an aerial picture of your house so we can see where it is in relation to the Hill Country. All these pictures are going to need to be notarized, dated, and filed with the county clerks office as well.

You work on the notary, I will rent the helicopter! We are competing with Weather Underground here, so we need to pull out all the stops!!!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Oddly enough, I DO live out in the country, and was expecting temps in the mid-twenties, but based on the thermometer this morning and the fact that the horse tank didn't look like it had even thought about freezing, I'd say it didn't get below freezing out here (we're usually about five degrees cooler than Austin). But there's little micro-climates all over the place in Central Texas.

The main point, though, I think, is that it's highly unlikely that the OP is going to experience the kind of long-term "can't go for a hike with your dog" weather here that they're complaining about where they live. Especially given that I've been known to go hiking in January when it was in the high 80's/low 90's.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Well, I guess for JayBrown80, I've got to do it. He deserves at least that -- I'm nothing if not consistent.

Considering the entire city goes into a panic if it ever gets as cold as 26-27 degrees, with a run on hardware stores, busted pipes, weather alerts, etc... I'm going to just point out that no official weather station I could find around Austin reported those temps. The one for Cedar Park got down to 32 degrees: History : Weather Underground

Old 12-06-2010, 12:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The main point, though, I think, is that it's highly unlikely that the OP is going to experience the kind of long-term "can't go for a hike with your dog" weather .
If that was the main point, THL, then my statement of ...

Quote:
I have many friends from up north that think it never gets below 75 degrees in austin. And while it isn't normally cold, and doesn't stay cold for long, it DOES get cold.
...would have been sufficient for you and Atxico.

The main point, as I see it, seems to be people demanding apologies for what they feel is misinformation on how cold it got last night. It seems silly to argue about, but there it is.

Both you and Atxico did not bother to actually look at a thermometer (which measures temperature). You both are just going off gut feeling and say "no, didn't get in the 20s".

RooCeleste and I actually looked up the information (at thermometers or looked up the information online), and it said it did get below 30.

And now I leave it up to the OP to decide what information she finds more reliable. The guts of texashorselady and atxico, or information that she can find online.

Since the OP is the only one that knows what is too cold for her, or how long cold can last for her to be comfortable, then the rest of us are just twisting in the wind. That's another big reason why I simply only told the OP the actual temperature and didn't make the assumption that you, atxico, or csbas made which is "I live in the OP's mind, I know what she is asking!! I am just going to assume that she knows that it does indeed get cold in Austin, albeit briefly."

Of course, the joke is on the OP if she thinks she is moving somewhere like Phoenix where it seldom if ever gets below 40 degrees. Austin is warm, but it gets below 40 every year. And more than once, actually. Once again, I apologize heartily to both you and Atxico for posting factual information on the Austin forums.

And I really will drop the subject now b/c I am the king of complaining about off topic posts, so I will try to curb my hypocrisy. I don't understand why people will literally trip over themselves just for the honor of disagreeing with me. LOL. Maybe I am being egotistical.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,105 times
^^^^ Nice goin', guys. This completely idiotic debate about the actual temperature in Austin has likely caused the poor OP to turn tail and run the other way.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
JayBrowne, I think you're more than a little touchy today. I wasn't even talking about what you said, merely pointing out that the main point, based on what the OP originally posted, appeared to be wanting to live someplace where the weather wasn't such that walking your dog was impossible or a pain most of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
I have a little hound mix that loves outdoors, playing with other canine pals at dog parks, and just being active. We currently live in PA, before that, CT, and I'm starting to get annoyed (already) with the cold weather and how it's "cramping our style" .

I'd love to move somewhere eventually where the warmer months outweigh the colder ones. I also have a french bulldog, but they aren't really active to begin with, so he's not much of a concern when it comes to that sort of stuff. It was 35 degrees today and windy, and it's only the beginning of December!
You seemed to zero in on the 35 degree quote rather than the meat of the post.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
RooCeleste and I actually looked up the information (at thermometers or looked up the information online), and it said it did get below 30.
Man, I hate that I'm still arguing this with you... it really is pointless. But if you will recall, I'm the person who posted the online information -- you just said you looked it up in Google, and that's what it was saying when you checked last night.

So if you don't mind, could you please post the online information which supports the 26 degree claim? Doesn't have to be wunderground. I really am interested in finding out where that might have happened, if it did. I'm open to the idea that I could be wrong. Are you? I guess I did poke at your credibility a bit, and I really don't need to be doing that to anyone -- at least not for such a minor reason. I imagine we could have a nice spirited debate about something much better than the low temps in Austin.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,422 times
To the OP: Austin loves dogs. You will find no shortage of pretty places for you and your girl to go walking and you will likely find lots of company for you and new friends for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin