Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times

Advertisements

OMG, will you guys kick yourselves for leaving San Diego. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth. But if you MUST move to Texas, I would suggest avoiding Austin and San Antonio. Your husband is commuting to Victoria?? I know little about Victoria, but i'm guessing it's about a 2 hour drive from parts of Southeast Houston. Houston has all the music and culture you could possibly ask for as well as a reasonable cost of living. Yes, the commute will be a killer, but I certainly wouldn't move to Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tvCA View Post
Yet another relocatee from California. My husband was transferred to TX for next 2 years. We have never been there and would like some advice..We are used to long commutes and traffic. He will be employed near Victoria. We are thinking of living in Austin/San Antonio because I think my 3 teens will be in culture shock as it is having never been out of CA (San Diego)
1. Enlighten me on the humidity...are my kids gonna hate us hahaha for this move?
2. My family is very "artsy" and music plays a big part...
3. Unfortunately this move comes mid year for one of my children(Junior) in Highschool. Any great HSchool's or even Catholic High school suggestions greatly appreciated.
and last:
We realize Victoria is a good 100plus miles away. Is the drive traffic/desolate
Any cities adjacent that you may suggest that have a bigger town/city feel?
Many thanks in advance-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tvCA View Post
Yet another relocatee from California. My husband was transferred to TX for next 2 years. We have never been there and would like some advice..We are used to long commutes and traffic. He will be employed near Victoria. We are thinking of living in Austin/San Antonio because I think my 3 teens will be in culture shock as it is having never been out of CA (San Diego)
1. Enlighten me on the humidity...are my kids gonna hate us hahaha for this move?
2. My family is very "artsy" and music plays a big part...
3. Unfortunately this move comes mid year for one of my children(Junior) in Highschool. Any great HSchool's or even Catholic High school suggestions greatly appreciated.
and last:
We realize Victoria is a good 100plus miles away. Is the drive traffic/desolate
Any cities adjacent that you may suggest that have a bigger town/city feel?
Many thanks in advance-
Breath deeply now repeat "I'm a Californian who likes masochistic, needlessly long commutes that waste time, money, and resources while also helping to destroy the environment but I can get over it."

My suggestion is after you find your job - which it seems you have - is to find a nice home within 5 to 10 miles of it. It's a win-win proposition and might stave of things like toll roads, increased gas taxes, carbon taxes, congestion, and cities that look like they were designed around highways instead of the other way around.

Sorry to seem to cynical but its just a reaction to a frankly ludicrous proposition.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM

25 posts, read 64,767 times
We're trying to stay in the positive here We are native californians but researching prices cost of living we will enjoy a little comfort here and go back if we want. That's the beauty of leaving California...the savings us astonishing. Even Parochial schools are more than half in tuition. When kids are involved one must look at the bright side so they go in thinking positively towards their new school and surroundings.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
You could also post your question on the general Texas forum. I like the suggestions of the towns near Corpus. They would be a lot closer. Victoria is also a lot closer to Houston, which is the biggest city in Texas.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
One thing to keep in mind with that type of commute is the possibility of severe weather during that drive. I grew up in San Diego and moved to the Austin area about 5 years ago. In San Diego, you never had to worry about the roads being icy during the winter or it raining so hard that you had no visibility. The type of drive that your husband would be doing from Victoria even on a weekly basis really could be dangerous if he gets stuck in a storm.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:05 PM

20 posts, read 42,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Breath deeply now repeat "I'm a Californian who likes masochistic, needlessly long commutes that waste time, money, and resources while also helping to destroy the environment but I can get over it."

My suggestion is after you find your job - which it seems you have - is to find a nice home within 5 to 10 miles of it. It's a win-win proposition and might stave of things like toll roads, increased gas taxes, carbon taxes, congestion, and cities that look like they were designed around highways instead of the other way around.

Sorry to seem to cynical but its just a reaction to a frankly ludicrous proposition.

***gving a standing ovation for this**** sorry I didn't see it earlier!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

I have to agree that anyone who is considering a two hour commute is not thinking like a responsible member of society at this point. Each of us has to think of the impact of our actions on the environment and on resources. It is a very bad example for your kids, too. And I am saying this as a CALIFORNIAN. Even though I agree with the idea behind the comment, I don't appreciate the stereotyping about people from one state or another. You could have made the same comment without throwing in your prejudice against Californians.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Aw shoot! You know what really stinks about the last two replies?
1. I have never been to Texas and had NO idea what the distance between the two in reality were. These are towns I know of from the map...I was just putting it out there.

2. Ironically,stereotyping goes both ways and I assumed all Texans were friendly and hospitable
Thanks for showing me stereotypes are just that - not always factual.

As for accusing my family of being irresponsible members of society...hmm being a native Californian this makes me want to drive further in our hummer while littering and choppin down trees en route all while cussing in front of the kids. PUHLEEZ! Give a gal a break I was simply trying to find my way around Texas by asking about large cities and finding some very helpful answers and two rude ones

Last edited by Bo; 12-08-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Made an edit and reversed it after noting that your reply was not directed to a deleted post in the thread.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
One thing to keep in mind with that type of commute is the possibility of severe weather during that drive. I grew up in San Diego and moved to the Austin area about 5 years ago. In San Diego, you never had to worry about the roads being icy during the winter or it raining so hard that you had no visibility. The type of drive that your husband would be doing from Victoria even on a weekly basis really could be dangerous if he gets stuck in a storm.
This is something I had not even thought about. You are so right and really made me rethink. Thank you - I am just trying to information gather at this point. The map and reality are far different. Weather did not even don on me (Im sure you can understand with the weather we have here, now.)

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,777,489 times
I didn't look back to see who all you were referring to as rude, but I believe you'll find that G Grasshopper isn't that way.
fwiw, for many of my childhood years, my dad either traveled during the week or had an apartment in the city where he was working and flew back home on the weekends. That worked out for us. Visit, then do what feels right for your family. Who knows what you all will come up with over time...good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin