Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM

12 posts, read 25,666 times

Advertisements

I gather from reading the earlier posts that NW and south central have a big community. Also there are widespread Indians all over the Austin area.
We are looking to move from Silicon valley, may be buy a house for the fraction of the cost of what the bay area has to offer. Looking for a very good public school district. Commute is not a criteria as we both work from home. We would like a peaceful street with minimum or no vehicular traffic. Has to be green-lots of mature trees!! Most of the pictures I see on Google earth, show barren land or new houses with no landscaping. Hope somebody can help. Looking forward to reading more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM

371 posts, read 940,478 times
Hi guys I have heard native texans aren't friendly with outsiders like asians or even out of state people, they say it's pretty bad in texas, is it true? I have only been in tx once, and kinda thinking about moving there. I have lived in NJ, CA, WV, FL, can anyone compare those states with TX in regard of this situation? thanks a lot

Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
Hi guys I have heard native texans aren't friendly with outsiders like asians or even out of state people, they say it's pretty bad in texas, is it true? I have only been in tx once, and kinda thinking about moving there. I have lived in NJ, CA, WV, FL, can anyone compare those states with TX in regard of this situation? thanks a lot
TX is a large state with many different areas and types of folks living in those areas. Since this is the Austin forum, I can say that in Austin that as a general rule (I can't speak for Indians specifically, though I have several Indian friends and I've never heard them complain about discrimination) is very tolerant of "outsiders". Of course you'll always have those who have issues, but that's true anywhere.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 24,616 times
Highly recommend Arbor Montessori Academy and North Austin Montessori School. They have been established in Austin for a long time and have a great reputation.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM

371 posts, read 940,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
TX is a large state with many different areas and types of folks living in those areas. Since this is the Austin forum, I can say that in Austin that as a general rule (I can't speak for Indians specifically, though I have several Indian friends and I've never heard them complain about discrimination) is very tolerant of "outsiders". Of course you'll always have those who have issues, but that's true anywhere.
so how bad does it get in rural areas? any specific examples that some of you have been through? I have lived in CA, FL, WV, NJ, how does TX compared to those states in this regard? thanks a lot guys

Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,268 times
Smile be friends

Hi

Did u guys found few friends We belong to north india n are punjabis Will love to be friends n hang out.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
About the restaurants, Bombay Grill is good (on 2244), it's the place where I go to get my Indian fix. Ever since my Indian roommates introduced me to Indian cuisine in college (north Indian first, then South Indian later) I have to get my Indian fix now and then. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed in the Clay Pit. The building is historical and that's wonderful, but I found the portions to be quite small and the wait service to be inadequate. Also, since it's such an old building and wasn't designed to be a restaurant, I found the acoustics to be horrible - it's just plain loud in there. The food was good but the other aspects couldn't make up for it.

There were some questions about why there don't seem to be many Indian restaurants in Austin whereas there are many Indians. What you'll find, based on why a good friend of mine said, is that the Indians in Austin tend to cook Indian at home, hence the abundance of Indian grocery stores, but when they go out they like to eat BBQ/Tex Mex/etc... He said the reason why was the Indian restaurants were generally lacking in Austin and home cooking is much better anyway.

He also said that people confuse him being Hispanic many times. He said there is good and bad to that. Good is that the Indian features (skin tone, straight black hair) is very common in Austin and so he "fits in" anywhere he goes. The bad is that sometimes people come up to him and start speaking Spanish.

He mentioned that after living in the Northeast, CA, FL, and now TX, he is most comfortable in Texas. The climate is similar to India, the people friendly, and it's a great Indian community here. He says he thinks that's part of the reason why you don't see "cliques" of Indians like in other parts of the country. Indians fit in well here and just aren't as noticeable. They do their thing without much fanfare.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,168 times
Default Moving to Round Rock

I am negotiating a job offer with a medium size company in Round Rock. My husband works from home and I have a 9 month old daughter. I prefer to rent an aptmt/townhome in a neighborhood with some Asian Indian presence. Can anyone provide any recommendations for the apartment units? My rent range is 1100-1300 per month. Proximity to hospitals/groceries etc is much preferred over lower rent. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM

316 posts, read 877,020 times
The 620 corridor seems the most popular area for Indians. It must be the affordable housing (both to rent and buy) as well as access to Dell (my guesses).

Come on down. You will fit right in Welcome to Austin.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,168 times
Thank you! Any specific aptmt complexes you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin