Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM

171 posts, read 422,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
How will I know when I meet a true hipster? Give me some other examples of a true hipster besides Kramer.
You may find yourself with the urge to knock the overpriced faux horn-rimmed glasses out from under the trendy but casual hair. Or grab his arm just to see if it really would break. Or scuff his retro shoes, just to see if there's any spine left. Or tell him that Steve Jobs has AIDS, just to see him cry.

Hipsters bring out the worst in mankind.

(This post is intended for ironic purpose, not to really condone real or implied violence against hipsters, because frankly, they couldn't handle either. But if at least one hipster really does cry over it, then I will consider my life worthwhile.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
In New York real estate, he call hispters the people that call us and what to live in Williamsburg for $1200, and when they realize they can't, they get mommy and daddy to pay for it.
Another thing I have noticed is that they all tend to work at a coffe shop or library, or have no income source at all (the younger ones at least.)
Wait a minute: I thought the hipsters referred to that area as "Billburg"?

I have a few friends living there - I suppose they like it. Seems pretty overrated to me. But I guess it's really awesome when you're 23.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
This has been most amusing!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,861 times
Hipsters is a term I heard in Austin first. Pretty much all of the ones I heard from other people look like they are straight from the 80 s. Ha 80s glasses tight girl pants on guys.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
After keeping up with this thread for a while, I think I understand what hipsters are, or at least I have a good idea. Unfortunately, I learned too late. I bought a t-shirt for my 24 year old son (who is not a hipster) because I thought the shirt was kind of funny, and it was mildly political (Che Guevara wearing a KFC hat.) But 2 weeks after Christmas, my son told me that he would never, never wear that shirt because it is extremely hipster. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
After keeping up with this thread for a while, I think I understand what hipsters are, or at least I have a good idea. Unfortunately, I learned too late. I bought a t-shirt for my 24 year old son (who is not a hipster) because I thought the shirt was kind of funny, and it was mildly political (Che Guevara wearing a KFC hat.) But 2 weeks after Christmas, my son told me that he would never, never wear that shirt because it is extremely hipster. Oh well, you can't win them all.
Well, not everything hipster is bad...that's a pretty funny shirt, I think.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Well, not everything hipster is bad...that's a pretty funny shirt, I think.
I think that's hilarious. I would wear something like that and I am nowhere close to being a hipster. I suppose I could go for some horn rimmed bifocals and I'd be closer

Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Yeah, I bought the shirt to support an artist in Albuquerque (a friend of my sister's) who designed it and is selling them to support his more serious art. I guess I need to find a hipster thrift shop to donate it to. I wonder if the artist is a hipster????

Old 01-28-2011, 05:04 PM

45 posts, read 147,277 times
I will gladly take that shirt off yer hands

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
for me, the hipster is the metro looking dude with the straight jeans, man purses, and shaggy/grungy look...you know, the look that is dime a dozen around here. I never did like that look....especially the windblown hair thing or "alternative" look...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin