Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM

158 posts, read 581,967 times

Advertisements

Husband has possible job offer from Google in Ausin. How is Google as a company to work for? Where exactly is Google located in Austin. We are looking at Steiner Ranch - is that a "do-able" commute? Does Google treat their employees well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRUs View Post
Husband has possible job offer from Google in Ausin. How is Google as a company to work for? Where exactly is Google located in Austin. We are looking at Steiner Ranch - is that a "do-able" commute? Does Google treat their employees well?
I just responded in your other thread. The buyer I mentioned is transferring here with Google. Several of his co-workers all bought in Steiner as well... that's saying a lot!

Edit: I forgot to answer your other question. My client said Google is around 183 and Mopac, in the "Domain" area. He's worked for Google for a year and loves it, or else he wouldn't be moving here...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Google is located off the frontage road of Mopac, pretty much at the intersection of 183 and Mopac, as Falconheadwest stated. The commute up 183 can be quite grueling during rush hour from what I've experienced, but I'm sure there are alternate routes to Steiner Ranch. Maybe Mopac to 2222?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Google is a fantastic company to work for. I can vouch for this as a few of our very close friends work at headquarters and all love it. I've visited HQ twice and now understand why their employees have worked so hard to make google so successful.

Separately, I love Steiner but wouldn't want to make that drive at all. I'd live in Great Hills or Westover Hills.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
I think the commute is do-able if you're willing to drive, but I wouldn't want to make it when there are so many nice communities closer to where he'd be working. I'd second the advice to check out the Northwest Hills and Great Hills neighborhoods. Traffic in Austin is a pain and considering how many people are moving here every year, is only likely to get worse. It makes sense to live close to where you work whenever feasible.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I think the commute is do-able if you're willing to drive, but I wouldn't want to make it when there are so many nice communities closer to where he'd be working. I'd second the advice to check out the Northwest Hills and Great Hills neighborhoods. Traffic in Austin is a pain and considering how many people are moving here every year, is only likely to get worse. It makes sense to live close to where you work whenever feasible.
Third this. Northwest Hills, Westover Hills, or Great Hills would be like a dream commute. You could even go home for lunch.

Older homes, and more expensive for what you get -- but location, location, location.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM

158 posts, read 581,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Third this. Northwest Hills, Westover Hills, or Great Hills would be like a dream commute. You could even go home for lunch.

Older homes, and more expensive for what you get -- but location, location, location.
What about Avery Ranch? How far (in minutes) would that commute be?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
What about Avery Ranch? How far (in minutes) would that commute be?
I'm not sure; perhaps some Avery ranch forumers can answer. I would suspect that it's less commute time to Google than Steiner but more than NW Hills/Great Hills. But usually if people are looking at Steiner, they want that hill country topography, which Great Hills and NW Hills has. Avery Ranch is very nice and I suspect quite convenient but it's a different, perhaps more suburban look. Of course pretty much everything in Austin looks suburban.

You could street view the different neighborhoods.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm not sure; perhaps some Avery ranch forumers can answer. I would suspect that it's less commute time to Google than Steiner but more than NW Hills/Great Hills. But usually if people are looking at Steiner, they want that hill country topography, which Great Hills and NW Hills has. Avery Ranch is very nice and I suspect quite convenient but it's a different, perhaps more suburban look. Of course pretty much everything in Austin looks suburban.

You could street view the different neighborhoods.
Yes, NW Hills/Great Hills would be better, but the Op stated that she has a $1500 per month rental budget for a 3 to 4 bedroom house with good schools (in another thread). I don't think NW Hills/Great Hills fall into that budget. Maybe in an apartment in those areas?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Yes, NW Hills/Great Hills would be better, but the Op stated that she has a $1500 per month rental budget for a 3 to 4 bedroom house with good schools (in another thread). I don't think NW Hills/Great Hills fall into that budget. Maybe in an apartment in those areas?
Ah, I didn't know about the other info from the different thread. Yeah, $1500 for a 3-4br home in NW Hills/Great Hills is not going to happen. Can you even get that in Avery Ranch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin