Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 PM

8 posts, read 15,168 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to live in Austin, I don't know why, I have visited when I was younger. However, on to my point.

I am in my 30's have a wife and a son, and we live in Michigan. The job outlook here is horrible. I have a B.S. in Information/Computer Security and a Security + certification. I am currently studying for more certs and gaining job experience as a level 2 tech.

I was wondering does anyone know any company hiring tech support at a decent wage? I'm not talking a ton of money but maybe enough to get started. We can move easy (we rent now and are debt free). I am not sure about working for defense or anything right yet, but is not out of the question (I think they need it, regarding the leaks and what not).

But enough rambling, does anyone have any insight on the market for Teir2 tech support or possible entry level INFOSEC positions.

P.S. Get me and my family out of the snowy Michigan economy and climate.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
I can't say specifically that people will hire you with your skills. But I think a security background is a plus and could make you look better than the hoard of other IT people.

Companies that make software (a vendor) might be more interesting the companies that merely consume IT. Austin has many companies that are a bit below the radar - like Sailpoint, Motive, etc. Have a look. I think pay for people with security certs should be competitive.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Thank you for the input. I am also working on other security certs and thinking of getting my Masters in INFOSEC from a NSA accredited program. I would however like to get some INFOSEC experience before that, but I suppose I will have to do what I need to do.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Bottom line, you are going to get paid very little for your skills in Austin. At least right now. The best possible outcome is that the tech sector starts really picking up here -- a possibility in coming years -- and you are able to take advantage of it. It's happened before, in the late 90's. Tech workers were very happy during that time!

If you want to be paid highly for your skills right now, best bet is probably DC.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Everyone here says IT pay sucks in Austin. I'm not convinced that is true. If you are the IT guy for a company with 25 employees, your pay should suck. There are plenty of IT people making good to very good money in Austin. Security skills can be very valuable for the right company.

If you really want good IT work go work for a vendor, not a bank, or a state agency, or law office. Vendors have more demanding end users, more sophisticated networks, more hardware diversity, etc. and will pay much more for quality people.

Bioware shows 18 job listings in Austin, including 3 in network operations. This is an example of the kind of company to seek out if you are an IT guy and want better work (and pay).

Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
From what I've seen in this area, you're looking at somewhere between $35K to $45K per year for something that would fit your qualifications. Just my personal opinion would be to not waste any more of your time on CompTIA certifications like your Security+ cert. You'd be better off getting SANS certs for security especially if your current company would pay for them. Your B.S. will definitely help you stay in the good pile of applications here.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 300,208 times
First post and I am by far an expert in Austin but we are looking to move to Dallas or Austin this summer and I am in the IT/Security field as well. I have not found many in my limited searching of Austin, a few more in Dallas but still not what you would see where I am at now.

There was a comment made about moving to DC in order to get the experience and higher paying jobs, I can vouch for that. I am moving from the DC area and I am in the CyberSecurity field, its a large growing field and you can get a lot of experience. Look at the Ft Meade area or be willing to work downtown DC.

Once you can get some experience and make some contacts you can use that to get to another location. I am hopefully moving into a Govt position what will allow me to work at any site the Agency has a presence, in my case Dallas or Austin.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Thank you gcrissman and mark311. I have thought about DC but I really don't like the east coast weather. Mark311, yes I am not going to waste time on CompTIA certs and plan on SANS certs and later CISSP, but the cost is the big put off for now.

Thank you for everyones replies.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM

156 posts, read 300,208 times
Funny, the weather is why I am moving!! I run a Cyber Security team for a large Govt agency here and hopefully will be moving into a Govt position that will allow me to work in Austin or Dallas.

My wife is in the IT field as well and is trying to move into the Cyber field.

SANS certs are huge as is the CISSP. Most of the SANS certs can be self taught, start with the GSEC and go to the GCIH next. Ideally you will want to get to the GREM cert quickly.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroot View Post
Thank you gcrissman and mark311. I have thought about DC but I really don't like the east coast weather. Mark311, yes I am not going to waste time on CompTIA certs and plan on SANS certs and later CISSP, but the cost is the big put off for now.

Thank you for everyones replies.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: