Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 PM

43 posts, read 79,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaria81 View Post
Hey Everyone-after several years of loving the excitement and energy of NYC, I think it has worn me out both physically and financially. I can no longer stand the weather, pretentious/mean people, face paced life, and exhaustion that NYC brings (let's not even get into cost of living). I have family in Austin (we are originally from PA) who absolutely love it. Slightly nervous to make this drastic change yet can't wait for my husband and I to have a quality of life again. Anyone who relocated from a similar large city with words of wisdom and comfort?
We lived in NYC for 27 years and left mainly to get better weather. Spent 6 years in FL which had great weather but the hurricanes were tough for us because we lived on a barrier island and had to evacuate several times and real estate went parabolic. So moved to Austin in 2006. Cool city in many ways -- main regret is that I didn't do my homework about allergies -- they are bad here! Hope you won't have that problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Initially a very tough adjustment for me. I hated Austin for the first three years: drastically reduced cultural, intellectual, culinary and entertainment options. It's a trade off, and after a while, I liked not having to pay an arm and a leg to live in a shoe box, not trudging through frozen sludge 4 months of the year, instead wearing sandals in February. I became a BBQ and margarita snob. There is still no good Mexican food in NYC. I realized I like to sleep. Did I really need excellent sushi at 2 in the morning? Austin and NYC are not at all alike. I like my everyday in Austin much more and when I need a big city fix, planes leave many times everyday - 4 hours or so to NYC, roughly the same to L.A, 2 and a half to Chicago and 2 hours to Mexico City, which in my opinion is the most delightful of them all. When I lived in much bigger cities, NYC, L.A., Chicago, I only took advantage of their world class resources about twice a year, ballet, opera, museums etc. About the same as I do now, except now I don't have the hassle, aggravation and discomfort of actually living in them. As long as I get a weekend in a megalopolis every few months, I am more than happy to live in Austin.
And that, Ladies & Gentlemen, is the way to go!

Very good post.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,398 times
I'm gonna have to agree with homeinatx, having relocated to Austin a few months ago from Madrid, living there for 6 years, previously from NYC, living there 15 years.... I'm finding Austin a hard nut to crack, and tossing in the towel end of Feb.

Your transition will probably be much easier, having family already here, and having a husband. For me the initial shock is how small and sprawling Austin really is.... having read/heard so much about how great Austin is .... Austin can't compare to NYC. It truly is a college town.

No public transportation worth taking, so having a car is a must, majority of stores are located in Malls outside downtown, the downtown area is made up of banks, hotels, restaurants, bars, all with great live music... and I have found the restaurants rather tasty...But that's about it. Yes, I've enjoyed bike riding, running, spending time reading at Barton Spring, and the weather definitely beats the bitter cold northeast, but I miss the convenience of a big city. And although unemployed, I have had several interviews, but nothing worth my while.

I wanted to give it a go here for at least 6 months, but already know Austin is not for me.

Hope this helps as well, and best of luck with your relocation... it's been nice.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,702 times
Wow. I've rarely gone long without a job in Austin before I relocated to Wichita, KS. Maybe you have a specialized field of employment? That can be part of the problem.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

We have zero good italian places.
Hmm I don't know. I visited years ago and there was a great italian place accross from the Dam on lake travis (I can't remember the name). Not technically AUstin, but close. It was soo good I went back the next night and got the exact same thing for take out. Best Minestrone soup I ever had and I grew up around italians in NY.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
austin only has a couple of great restaurants, maybe only 2-3. We have a lot of pretty good restaurants though. We have maybe two good chinese places and two good sushi places (no great sushi places).

If you are looking for a slower paced more relaxed lifestyle, then austin would be a good fit. Austin has better outdoors opportunities than NYC but is lacking in just about everything else.
I think you are right on.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
austin only has a couple of great restaurants, maybe only 2-3. We have a lot of pretty good restaurants though. We have maybe two good chinese places and two good sushi places (no great sushi places).

If you are looking for a slower paced more relaxed lifestyle, then austin would be a good fit. Austin has better outdoors opportunities than NYC but is lacking in just about everything else.
Wat are the names of the two good chinese places? I simply cannot find good chinese food in Austin.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Chinatown is good--three locations, downtown, Westlake and Far West.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM

43 posts, read 79,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Wat are the names of the two good chinese places? I simply cannot find good chinese food in Austin.
For a healthy version try Fire Bowl or Zen -- both have good brown rice and a wide variety of combos. Ask if they have fresh shredded ginger -- yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin