Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM

31 posts, read 63,765 times

Advertisements

We are still trying to decide where to live. Working from home gives us almost too many options! We like the idea of having a social country club in the area with activities for families and that is why we like both of these areas. We also like the views that both neighborhoods have. I know River Place is a much newer community. Lost Creek seems to be in a better location. Any pros and cons of these area to help us decide would be appreciated! They bothe seem great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
A big difference is the existence of a mandatory HOA. Lost Creek does not have one, just a voluntary neighborhood association. Riverplace has a pretty strict HOA. The pros and cons of having an HOA are largely dependent on the buyer preference.

Riverplace will be closer to shopping, the lake and more employers (more accessible to NW Austin and the northern burbs), and Lost Creek is closer to downtown and South Austin where more entertainment is.

I think both have a lot of kids and activities centered around families, but they are not 95% jammed with young families like Steiner or Circle C.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Lost Creek. Much, much better location. We are near RP in Steiner Ranch and love it, but if we could have afforded the Westlake are, we would have moved there.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 PM

31 posts, read 63,765 times
Thanks! They both seem like great areas. Anyone live in Lst Creek? Is it a friendly neighborhood with lots of kids? Do most people join the country club?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I live there. It's a very family friendly neighborhood, many people move here for the Eanes ISD schools so there are a lot of kids. The neighborhood association is quite active and has many family events each year (BBQ, Fall Picnic, 4th of July parade, etc). There are a couple of parks for the kids, and a greenbelt trail within the community. There is also a greenbelt with access to Barton Creek, where people take their dogs and can also do some tubing when the water level is high enough. Cyclists also like to come to the neighborhood because of the hilly terrain and access to popular road biking routes which utilize 360, Bee Caves Road, and Lost Creek Blvd.

Lots of residents like to join the country club for the social/swimming membership, although we are not members. The tennis and golf memberships seem to be popular with people from other areas of Austin, since it's a convenient location. The country club also opens up to all residents sometimes, for things like the 4th of July celebration and charity days.

My favorite quality of LC is the non-cookie cutter feel; there are a variety of different styles of homes, and different shapes and orientation of lots. It's a pretty down to earth neighborhood for Westlake, people are friendly and interact and many do their own yardwork (which is kind of rare for Westlake). The lack of mandatory HOA means that all the beauty of the neighborhood comes from pride of ownership, not so much dictated by restrictive covenants or threat of fines. The MUD does an excellent job of maintaining the common areas like the parks and greenbelts. All the people I know here really love the neighborhood, and many folks have owned multiple homes here -- when they move, it's often just to another bigger/smaller home in Lost Creek.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 AM

10 posts, read 22,310 times
Thanks atxcio! I'm glad to hear it is laid back. I prefer to be closer to downtown as I'm not much of a shopper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin