Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times

Advertisements

Well, I stand corrected! Orbius is right. I was just sent the press release!

ACC is buying the Macy's parcel too!! Interesting, very interesting!

(off to read the release)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Like at Barton Hills, Dillards has two locations at Highland because 15 years or so they bought another department store and had to assume their leases. (what was the name of that store?)
I believe that it was Scarboroughs or something, correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
ACC bought the old Dillards at the mall, not Macy's. The buyer of Macy's is unknown. Like at Barton Hills, Dillards has two locations at Highland because 15 years or so they bought another department store and had to assume their leases. (what was the name of that store?) Anyway, they bought the Dillards that faces back towards I-35 and near their administrative building, One Highland Center. The ACC parcel includes 18 acres, mainly empty parking. I think that ACC does plan to build new on the site, they may use their ownership of part of the building just to have some say in the final redevelopment of the area.

I still don't see the CoA and ACC connection. ACC is an independent taxing unit with their own trustees etc.
Austin Community College buying Macy's space at Highland Mall | Austin Business Journal

Also I came upon this on Austin Business Journal while looking at this site. Looks like ACC has bought up large amounts of land in struggling parts of the area using tax payer money. I need someone to convince me this isnt some kind of corrupt payoff to local landowners and real estate interests.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...8/daily25.html

Last edited by orbius; 01-05-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
I suppose if ACC puts a campus there the students will need food and various restaurants could setup to serve them. I really think the whole mall should be bulldozed, the creek restored, and the whole area converted into a "lifestyle" outdoor mall along the lines of The Domain. New apartments should also be at the top of the list.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I believe that it was Scarboroughs or something, correct me if i'm wrong.
You're right, it was. Originally, there was only a Scarboroughs on Congress Avenue, but they opened up that location when Highland Mall opened.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Another Domain would be out of place for that neighborhood, even with all the gentrification. I recall Dillard's wanting to pull out of its lease bc it felt that the demographics (read: income level) had "changed". I guess what people want to propose is a large scale, en masse gentrification and hope that does the trick. It's not. What you're going to have, with this new Domain, are kids still hanging out at the food court not buying anything. Yet another pseudo-modern cookie cutter housing development is needed there like a hole in the head...how many of those do we have, anyway? I think the proposal bout making the area an educational mecca of sorts (at least for ACC)..makes a lot of sense. But to try and upscale an area that is not upscale any longer isn't going to work.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM

113 posts, read 238,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
You're right, it was. Originally, there was only a Scarboroughs on Congress Avenue, but they opened up that location when Highland Mall opened.
Let's take a stroll down memory lane

Foley's ------> Macy's
Dillards -----> Joske's
Frost Bros --> Scarborough's

Shall I even mention the Highland Twin Cinema, The Merry Go-Round , Miller's Outpost nobody remember's that J.C Penny's at Highland was actually just Penny's with an old school logo when it opened or the famous Penny's Auto Center ( I still remember the song "JC Penny's...auto center we WON'T steer you wrong song end's with mechanic slamming hood!). How about Causal Corner or B.Dalton Bookseller? OH what about getting a new latest clothing from Chess King or J.Rigging's, have to get the shoes' over at Kinney or Thom McAnn Baker's Shoes or just checking out the latest electronics at McDuff's or how about the latest music from Camelot Music I think there was a Sound Warehouse too...i'm getting old.

Last edited by joedtx; 01-05-2011 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: added another retailer

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Another Domain would be out of place for that neighborhood, even with all the gentrification. I recall Dillard's wanting to pull out of its lease bc it felt that the demographics (read: income level) had "changed". I guess what people want to propose is a large scale, en masse gentrification and hope that does the trick. It's not. What you're going to have, with this new Domain, are kids still hanging out at the food court not buying anything. Yet another pseudo-modern cookie cutter housing development is needed there like a hole in the head...how many of those do we have, anyway? I think the proposal bout making the area an educational mecca of sorts (at least for ACC)..makes a lot of sense. But to try and upscale an area that is not upscale any longer isn't going to work.
Actually, it would work. It's close enough to Hyde Park, UT Campus, Mueller(which is mostly box stores), and some of central Austin's older, established neighborhoods. The low income demographic generally comes over East Austin and North/Northeast Austin. The area's demographics aren't much different than the mid-90s when Highland was preferred over Barton Creek especially with UT students. However, it suffered because of reputation and plain mismanagement. The mall never went through a major renovation(besides an addition in the late 70s) and was allowed to deteriorate. There were(are) so many low end stores/booths there which didn't exist in the 90s. No way would a new, domain-like development have those types of businesses that cater to the lower-income demographic. Developers are out to maximize their investment and will ensure that they protect it meaning increased security, catering to a higher income demographic, and attracting higher-end retailers. Plus, teenagers wouldn't want to hang at an outdoors center during Austin's beyond hot summers.

There is also plenty of land for a park and ACC. Highland mall is a major bus hub so that'll be good for ACC but according to some, attracts "riff-raff" too.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I suppose Walmart should have gone there instead of Northcross, huh? Do you think there would have been any opposition if Walmart had gone to Highland? I don't think so, and they may have even gotten their two level store and there's plenty of parking there. Walmart definitely caters to lower income levels so maybe that would have worked there. Oh well, like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Actually, it would work. It's close enough to Hyde Park, UT Campus, Mueller(which is mostly box stores), and some of central Austin's older, established neighborhoods. The low income demographic generally comes over East Austin and North/Northeast Austin. The area's demographics aren't much different than the mid-90s when Highland was preferred over Barton Creek especially with UT students. However, it suffered because of reputation and plain mismanagement. The mall never went through a major renovation(besides an addition in the late 70s) and was allowed to deteriorate. There were(are) so many low end stores/booths there which didn't exist in the 90s. No way would a new, domain-like development have those types of businesses that cater to the lower-income demographic. Developers are out to maximize their investment and will ensure that they protect it meaning increased security, catering to a higher income demographic, and attracting higher-end retailers. Plus, teenagers wouldn't want to hang at an outdoors center during Austin's beyond hot summers.

There is also plenty of land for a park and ACC. Highland mall is a major bus hub so that'll be good for ACC but according to some, attracts "riff-raff" too.
I think as downtown becomes overpriced (which it will if it already isn't), the area around Highland Mall will become more attractive. It's easy access to I-35 and downtown with little commuting, and it's central to just about everything in Austin except South Austin. Compared to other parts of town, it's a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin