U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM

1,281 posts, read 4,076,660 times

Advertisements

You know, sometimes you stay in a place too long and start to take it for granted. You notice all the things wrong with it and you become tired of being there. You start thinking about other places you'd rather live as you've lost your love and appreciation for the place you're in. You forget all the reasons why you moved there and why you love living there.

All it takes is going on vacation to another place that is a lot worse:

I just spent a week in Florida (Orlando, Tampa, Madeira Beach, Ocala) and I have to say.... I LOVE Austin again! I was so happy to drive back into the city yesterday that I literally almost cried. After being in that brutally hot and humid, bug infested pit they call Florida, it made me appreciate Austin all over again. I actually rolled the windows down while driving in and felt great at 88 degrees. That was actually comfortable compared to Florida and its endless days and nights of sunburned, sweaty, dehydrated misery.

I love Austin... even in the summer. It truly could be worse.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,223,528 times
Ha ha!! Welcome home!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 PM

85 posts, read 200,226 times
It is all a proper balance. Too much heat is bad, and too much humidity is bad. That is why Austinintes realize they have it nice when they visit truly HOT places or truly HUMID places.

If you go out to Arizona and bake in the 115 degrees. Your skins turns to dust. You look 15 years older than you are. Your throat dries out. You get 3rd degree sunburns. And, you go deaf from hearing the defensive cry "it is a dry heat." Heat is heat at 115 degrees and no human being should have to bear that furnace like oppressive air.

If you head to Florida, you melt in the 80% humid air. Mosquitos are everywhere and love to snack on your sweat covered skin. Every outfit of clothing is soaked in perspiration. Even the shade doesn't protect you from humidity.

Austin by no means is a summer paradise like Southern California weather. But, it has enough humidity to keep you from drying out. Yet, it doesn't go overboard into a swamplike humid florida environment. It is hot, but it doesn't get to 100+ nighttime Arizona temperature baking kilns.

Next time you complain about Austin heat...think of those people enjoying a 115 day in Phoenix or sopping wet in Florida.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM

10,148 posts, read 18,717,748 times
I had kind of the same experience just a few weeks ago. Traveled to Florida, North Carolina, and Las Vegas on business & family visits.

NC sort of felt like Houston weather-wise, and Florida is of course over-the-top humid. I'd be drenched from an evening walking on the beach... and inland, the bugs were horrible. However, the ocean being right there is something that makes up for much of that. LV was experiencing blast-furnace 119 degree temps.

Most of what hit me when I got back was the friendliness, though. Where I was in FL, people were not particularly talkative or friendly. Same in Vegas, where I mostly encountered CA people. North Carolina was friendly enough, but it was visitor-friendly only... I couldn't help feel that they were very close-knit, and should I ever have to move there, it would take a long time to be accepted and not be an outsider. I can't even pinpoint why it felt that way...

Flew back into Houston, and as I walked of the plane expecting the humidity to smack me in the face, I was suprised when it didn't feel uncomfortable at all... even in July. I guess that was because of the NC and FL humidity, or perhaps I've just becomed acclimated.

Finally, as I'm walking toward the exit/baggage claim, a lady was wondering aloud to her companion where exactly their baggage claim was. Immediately, not 1 but 2 people within earshot pipe in to help her find the way. One of them was even on the opposite side of the moving walkway (so he had to keep walking backwards)! I had to turn to my wife and say, "See that? That's something you DON'T see at airports in other places." She thought it was no big deal, but to me, it was!

Then I start noticing again the things I always notice when I return from longer trips... employees in general, like waitstaff, grocery clerks, etc seem happier. They definitely talk more, and I know that annoys some -- but the positive energy overall does seem to rub off. You definitely notice the lack of it when you are in other places.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 PM

2,246 posts, read 6,992,488 times
jread, it's great to read that you're rekindling your love of Austin. I know that every time I go back to Florida to visit family, I count my lucky stars knowing that I don't live there anymore and can go back home to Austin.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,405,882 times
Terpsand Horns wrote:
Quote:
Austin by no means is a summer paradise like Southern California weather. But, it has enough humidity to keep you from drying out. Yet, it doesn't go overboard into a swamplike humid florida environment. It is hot, but it doesn't get to 100+ nighttime Arizona temperature baking kilns.
Actually I lived in Tucson '63-'64 when my AF dad was stationed there, and the nights cooled down wonderfully for sleeping.Very hot summer days,but the nights were great,and all our house had was a rooftop swamp cooler.Plus never a mosquito bite.I thought Tucson was the neatest place we ever lived.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 PM

115 posts, read 148,794 times
BOOOM!!!

I love your posts, the weather is one of the reasons I love Austin and I can't wait to move there

My brother has been there for about a month opening a business, and he and his family love,+ it but he thinks is cold although he welcomes the change, where he came from the average temperatures are 90 in the winter time, and 100+ for 8 months of the year!!

I lived in Florida for many years, so I know the difference!! 90 degrees Christmas are not fun, and 95-100 degrees with hight humidity are not even close to ok...

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: