Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,874,387 times

Advertisements

Just in case you forgot to turn your sprinkler system off...

Wastewater Averaging runs from mid-November through mid-March

Quote:
What comes in generally must go out. The Austin Water Utility calculates wastewater costs on the amount of water you use during three winter billing periods (months). Since very little outside water is used during these months, it is a good measure of the volume flowing through your wastewater system. Now is the time to conserve.

You can lower your wastewater costs for the next year by conserving your water usage during the 3 monthly billing periods used to calculate your wastewater flow. Depending on your billing cycle, the 3 periods used for wastewater averaging will occur between mid-November and mid-March.

For more information on wastewater averaging refer to the links on the above right of this web site.
This can make a huge difference in your utility bills! If you experience a freezing broken landscape sprinkler line during these winter months, be sure to discuss it with the City of Austin, they reduced my water consumption amounts for Wastewater Averaging by a significant amount. They even gave me a credit back for some of the water my meter said that I had used during the leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,068,974 times
What a strange system! I have never lived anywhere that had such a method. I have only seen the sewer bill as a straight fee that is included in the trash bill, and everyone is charged the same. I don't know why the sewer people would want to mess with all the calculations, adjustments and arguments from consumers. Perhaps it is more equitable, since some people use more water and therefore more sewer, but it just seems like so much more work to administer this system, and just one more thing for consumers to worry about if it is a dry fall.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,108,289 times
My MUD employs the same practice. As someone who uses the bare minimum 1000 gallons a month (probably less but they round up) when I'm not watering, I appreciate not having to pay some straight fee on wastewater inflated by the families and pool owners surrounding me.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM

732 posts, read 2,119,435 times
I have been making a real effort to use very little water over the next couple months. I have even been employing the policy of "if it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown wash it down" unless I have guests over.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,592,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I have been making a real effort to use very little water over the next couple months. I have even been employing the policy of "if it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown wash it down" unless I have guests over.

Funny but yet gross. LOL!! At least you are trying to be conservative.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,803,198 times
Good thing mother nature cooperated today and give us that liquid sunshine. Although I don't like the cold temps of today, the rainfall was nice, especially last night when rain came down in buckets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin