Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM

92 posts, read 308,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
Right below- I have always considerd as westlake Area or surrouning area. Even though That is basiclaly just the School boundaries for the Huge eanes ISD. Oh btw their are huge amount of kids in Eanes ISD who are in private school. if everybody was in public school in the eanes ISD, theyd have to build 2 high schools probablly.

Google Image Result for http://www.austinmodernliving.com/Eanes-ISD-map-large.jpg

West Austin Real Estate | West Austin Homes and MLS

West Lake Hills Homes for Sale | West Lake Hills Homes and MLS | Westlake Homes for Sale

below is a list of school districts.
Google Image Result for http://ryanfrance.typepad.com/.a/6a010536bb2647970c0115709c4e74970b-800wi

i Honestly think Westlake is way nicer- or anywere in the eanes Area

Circle C is nice- but the price gap between the to is huge. with an average home in westlake according to some of the above websites, saying its at about 1.2 million. and the average home in Southwest austin being apparently 283k- 300k
and average home in Circle C being 350k
that is a huge difference

Southwest Austin Real Estate | Southwest Austin Homes and MLS

their are like a handful of 450-500k homes in the circle c area.

the school district is bowie high school for circle c/meridian/lewis mountain area. Lewis mountain is only maybe like i think 20 homes or so? but the homes are bigger, on bigger lots and some are 700k.
the school district is Bowie

Bowie high school- is the best Public High School in AISD.
you might think its Austin high- since tarrytown is right next door to it and the homes their are in the millions a good amount of time. but a lot of folks in tarrytown send their kids to private schools, and austin high has started bussing kids from all around the city, and its very easy to get a transfer to austin high. you dont even have to live in the area. Because of these reasons Austin high School has gone down a lot in rankings, taks scores, grades, etc etc.

Bowie- you have to live in Bowie area to transfer basically

in westlake- you have to live in the Eanes district to go to Westlake- and its rather pricey everywere in west austin aka outside the immediate city limits. which westlake extends outside and is outside of the AISD school district boundaries.
I Dont even think you can get a out of district transfer to westlake and if you can i am not sure if its guranteed for a whole year.

Thank you so much for your info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM

that is insane how elementary schools at CCR start that early. is it like that everywhere in austin, including westlake? and how about preschools, when do they start theirs?

i love this board, i have learned alot from all your posts....very cool...thanks guys

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM

113 posts, read 371,520 times
It sounds like it's everywhere. The preschools I've looked into start around 8:30, daycares open around 7am.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
It sounds like it's everywhere. The preschools I've looked into start around 8:30, daycares open around 7am.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
where I am in VA, the schools start anywhere from 7:15 to 9:15 am, within a 5 mile radius, and at all different school levels. It makes no sense and is a nightmare for scheduling. They do offer before and after-care at the schools, but you have to sign up more than a YEAR in advance to be gauranteed a spot when your kid starts Kindergarten. It is ridiculous.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Avana's price point will be kept significantly down by the fact a large portion of the subdivision is in Hays ISD...you're looking at a very long bus ride or an hour plus round trip with Brodie traffic for you to take them to the nearest elementary school. It's even farther for middle & high schools.

We looked at the SP model in Meridian a month ago and the sales guy said they had another section of 25 lots or so about to open up but it was in Hays Co/Hays ISD. They said they were going to try to get it in AISD. I don't know how much sway a developer has in those decisions since I have a hard time seeing an ISD giving up tax revenue for the sake of potential home sales. It was probably just sales talk to help move sales of that section.

Just got confirmation that the SP section of Meridian is indeed in Austin ISD.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
I didn't know that about AISD. What kind of quality of life is that? I was hoping more for a 9:00 start! I don't know why the buses pick up so early. Probably because the houses are so spread out?? There seem to be plenty of buses (several routes) but the latest pick ups are all around 7am. Strange. I've even researched biking in from near neighborhoods but can't find good routes. I would never even consider Avana or Meridian if they really are zoned for Hays schools.
All Meridian kids will attend Baldwin which is in Meridian. Avana on the other hand, parts of it most likely will go to Hays.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM

124 posts, read 449,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post

Bowie high school- is the best Public High School in AISD.
you might think its Austin high- since tarrytown is right next door to it and the homes their are in the millions a good amount of time. but a lot of folks in tarrytown send their kids to private schools, and austin high has started bussing kids from all around the city, and its very easy to get a transfer to austin high. you dont even have to live in the area. Because of these reasons Austin high School has gone down a lot in rankings, taks scores, grades, etc etc.

Bowie- you have to live in Bowie area to transfer basically

in westlake- you have to live in the Eanes district to go to Westlake- and its rather pricey everywere in west austin aka outside the immediate city limits. which westlake extends outside and is outside of the AISD school district boundaries.
I Dont even think you can get a out of district transfer to westlake and if you can i am not sure if its guranteed for a whole year.
First of all, it is not true that you must live in the Eanes district to attend Westlake. Westlake accepts out of district transfers (when space is available) for the purpose of reducing the amount of tax money it has to shell out to non-wealthy districts under the state's Robin Hood property tax system. These transfers are probably limited, but they do exist.

Secondly, Austin High is currently on the list of AISD schools closed to transfers and it has been for several years. It is true that a very limited number of students are allowed to transfer under certain circumstances, but it is not easy to transfer in for the most part. Much of Austin High's diversity comes from the fact that its attendence area includes parts of East Austin and the area around Riverside east of I35.

By almost any objective measure, LASA is the best high school in AISD (and in the entire Austin areas for that matter), and many kids from Circle C do attend, even though it is quite a bit of a commute away. LASA is rated exemplary by the state and ranked 54 on Newsweek's list of best public high schools in the country (Westlake is ranked 59, Anderson is ranked 327 and Bowie is ranked 869). LASA's passing rates on the TAKS are slightly higher than Westlake's (although both schools are at nearly 100% in almost every category). LASA's average SAT score in 2009 was 1269 (Westlake's SAT average was 1202, Anderson's average was 1148, Bowie's average was 1115). This was despite the fact that nearly 99% of LASA's students took the test (for some reason Eanes SAT participation rate hasn't been reported to the TEA in recent years). LASA also has higher percentages of students who take and pass the AP exams than any other of the top schools in the Austin area and higher percentages of College Ready Graduates according to TEA.

SAT Averages (2009)
LASA - 1269
Westlake - 1202
Anderson - 1148
Bowie - 1115

Percent of students taking SAT (2009)
LASA - 98.5
Westlake - ?
Anderson - 81.3
Bowie - 82.2

Percent of students taking 1 or more AP Exam (2009)
LASA - 80.5
Westlake - 67.3
Anderson - 45.8
Bowie - 41.7

Percent of examinees passing 1 or more AP Exam (2009)
LASA - 87.2
Westlake - 82.1
Anderson - 74.6
Bowie - 72.6

Percent of students classified as College Ready in Math and English by TEA (2009)
LASA - 91
Westlake - 84
Anderson - 73
Bowie - 65

LASA also has slightly smaller class sizes and a more economically and ethnically diverse student body than the other schools. If you really want to get a good idea of how well certain schools are performing, it's probably a good idea to check out the actual details. The overall rating (Recognized, Exemplary, etc.) is fairly useless due to political manipulation and fairly fluid standards. The TEA has a very good compilation of a variety of information at it's AEIS site.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
This is Texas- you don't want kids still in school at 4.30 or 5.00 in august-november and april-may. It's HOT.

Don't forget Travis Country! I love that neighborhood. It's very close to Austin and has a great, old tree feel. Barton Creek West is also nice.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 AM

113 posts, read 371,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This is Texas- you don't want kids still in school at 4.30 or 5.00 in august-november and april-may. It's HOT.

Don't forget Travis Country! I love that neighborhood. It's very close to Austin and has a great, old tree feel. Barton Creek West is also nice.
How does the heat play into school times? Every school has air conditioning, I would imagine. And most kids, like elsewhere, stay after school anyway, until their parents get off work. Here, school starts around 9:00, ends at 3:30. There is before and after care available for working parents, most kids going in before 8:00 and staying until 5 or 6. The amount of out-of-school care is the same. The kids have time in the mornings to play and not arrive and start working first thing in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin