Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Maybe because most parents don't have a life of leisure and have to work for a living...usually beginning at 8am?
It's still bad for kid's health to not get enough sleep. Lots of people start work later than 8 or have flex schedules.... or some of us even do with less so one parent can stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
School in Texas when I was growing up started the Monday after Labor Day and ended the Friday before Memorial Day. We did just fine.

Some parents have demanded year-round schooling - I'm firmly opposed to it. Kids need a stretch of time to not only just be kids and learn the myriad of things that AREN'T learned in school, but the schools do NOT need any more encouragement in the idea that those are THEIR kids, NOT ours. I've also noticed, observing whenever parents demand that, that what they're really after is year-round child care.

Test scores, by the way, are only a TINY part of education. In fact, giving them too much attention can lead to LESS education. I say this as someone who got a real education while being taught at tiny East Texas schools, only to move to Highland Park in Dallas which was then rated as one of the top 10 schools in the country, where they invented teaching to the test and absolutely NOT, under any circumstances, actually THINKING about what you were being taught, because if you did you might not be able to regurgitate it word for word on the test so that the school could keep its high rating. Just about destroyed any interest in education I had - fortunately, I had a firm foundation that, once I left Highland Park, saw me through.

Summer vacation is really the only time these days that kids can get away from that kind of skewed thinking and get some real education.
I couldn't agree with you more. Family time is important, and kids need the summer to explore interests that they don't have time for during the school year.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 AM

113 posts, read 371,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Family time is important, and kids need the summer to explore interests that they don't have time for during the school year.
Still, 6 weeks of summer vacation plus 3-4 week breaks during the year gives them plenty of time to explore other interests. Year-round schooling is not every day of the year! And you don't have to deal with the travel 'crush' times of Xmas/spring break. Traveling has got to be the best education, no?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
I think working parents want year round schooling so they can skimp on the daycare. Sorry folks, it's not going to happen.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I think working parents want year round schooling so they can skimp on the daycare. Sorry folks, it's not going to happen.
I'm going to say this one more time...year-round schooling is NOT year-round daycare. There are still breaks - you can plan vacations at those times OR find enrichment camps, classes, activities to fill those weeks. The number of days is the same as the traditional school calendar, the breaks are just shorter and spread throughout the year vs. all summer.

And believe me when I say you cannot skimp on daycare with this system - the classes and/or daycare cost the same no matter what week of the year you have to pay for it.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I'm going to say this one more time...year-round schooling is NOT year-round daycare. There are still breaks - you can plan vacations at those times OR find enrichment camps, classes, activities to fill those weeks. The number of days is the same as the traditional school calendar, the breaks are just shorter and spread throughout the year vs. all summer.

And believe me when I say you cannot skimp on daycare with this system - the classes and/or daycare cost the same no matter what week of the year you have to pay for it.
That's how it would start, with the promise of 3 week breaks and longer in the summer....but in no time kids would be in school all year with 2 weeks off. Families need MORE time together, not less. Parents are the best teachers.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
wow, that is some conspiracy theory. Do you REALLY think teachers would want to work year round? They need those breaks as much as the kids.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 AM

113 posts, read 371,520 times
Check out his year round school calendar in Wisconsin. Most people who like year round schools want to spend more quality time with their kids, not less. This way the quality time is spread out, not only concentrated in the summer. mpsportal.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/.../100712_Yr_Round_2010-11.pdf

Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
wow, that is some conspiracy theory. Do you REALLY think teachers would want to work year round? They need those breaks as much as the kids.
I think the bigger issue than what teachers want to do is that it would probably increase the costs of running the school by 25-33% a year. That means 25-33% higher school district taxes. This is why I don't see them going to a year round with 2 weeks off.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You sure do assume a lot. Where did I say 'conspiracy' or that teachers want to work year around? My point is that the government is very good at encroaching on people's private lives. Both the federal income tax and the social security tax began very, very modestly and have evolved into the behemoths we have now. It's in the nature of government to tax more, employ more people, and so on.

I have these discussions with my friends and relatives from the Northeast. I notice you're from Virginia- you are planning to move to Austin, I assume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin